Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, that game you keep getting Steam coupons for? There's a reason for that: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-12-two-tribes-reflects-on-toki-tori-2s-commercial-failure

Two Tribes made Toki Tori 2, one of the first independently published games on Wii U. To say the game didn't sell well would be an understatement. It bankrupted the company.

Actually, it bankrupted half of the company as Two Tribes is comprised of two different entities. One is a developer, while the other is a publisher responsible for the iOS version of Ronimo's Swords and Soldiers along with the Steam and Wii U versions of the puzzler Edge, among other games.

Speaking to Eurogamer at GDC, Two Tribes co-founder Collin van Ginkel was shockingly frank about the studio's missteps with Toki Tori 2.

"I don't think I would have bought Toki Tori 2 if I was a consumer," he told me. "That doesn't mean I don't think it's a good game. I think we did a really great job. But it's not something I would have bought myself."

"So why make it?" I asked. "Was it about making money to fund other projects, or did you simply lose your passion for it over time?"

Van Ginkel quickly clarified that he waspassionate about turning Toki Tori 2 into a quality product - in fact, he was such a perfectionist that he and the rest of Two Tribes dedicated two years on the project that was expected to last 6-9 months.

"We were super passionate about making it into a really good game," he said. "It is a good game and it's the best game I think we've released so far."

Two Tribes co-founder Martijn Reuvers then clarified "We did not do it for the money."

So if Toki Tori 2 didn't appeal to the people who made it, Two Tribes wasn't in it for the money, and it wasn't being funded by a publisher, why make it at all?

"I think we were trying to please everybody," van Ginkel said. "We were trying to make a game that didn't leave anybody out."

Unfortunately, Toki Tori 2 did leave a lot of people out by virtue of it looking rather generic on the surface. This wasn't a big problem on Wii U, a console with a small install base but little competition in the indie scene. However, Toki Tori 2's lack of character made it fail to stand out on Steam.

Grimlorn

Arcane

There are more honest trailers for games on that channel as well. Haven't seen them all.

There is also an honest trailers for movies as well that's pretty good.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
tumblr_nkwo8iDiTV1rbnpato1_400.gif

tumblr_nkwo8iDiTV1rbnpato2_400.gif

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wanna bet that controller the douchebag dumpster dived won't be going to a hospital either?
Way to miss the point.

Gamestop had at least two options:

1) donate old stuff for tax break

2) throw it out and destroy it—thus filling more landfills.

It's just pure waste.

part deux was on related videos list:

I still don't understand why couldn't they sell some of that stuff. Even selling for extra low price would be a better use of the employees time than sending them to a side room to destroy merchandise.

Last edited:

Jigawatt

Arcane
I still don't understand why couldn't they sell some of that stuff. Even selling for extra low price would be a better use of the employees time than sending them to a side room to destroy merchandise.
Certainly for new games, I doubt Gamestop et al can just arbitrarily discount games without publisher consent - there would be all sorts of deals governing prices/margins etc. (yet another reason they love used games so much - it's stock without strings). More generally most retailers the world over will return unsold stock to the supplier either for a partial refund or because the stock actually never belonged to the retailer. But with something like a DVD where marginal production cost < shipping cost the publisher would just say 'if you don't sell it, destroy it'.

Drakron

Arcane
No, its on Sweary games ... also in D3 and was in Spy Fiction..

Same name, I am kind waiting for the reveal he is a bad guy in D3.

A user named cat

Can't believe I'm just now hearing of this, looks fucking great. Not sure if anyone has posted about it but it's been out a couple months now.

Non-annoying LPer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom