Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EA angers a member of the 1%: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tor-discovers-son-spent-usd4500-on-fifa-packs

World Bank exec discovers son spent $4500 on FIFA packs
"Where was Microsoft in this? What was their responsibility?"

World Bank director of corporate communications is the latest parent to discover their child had racked up a huge credit card bill while purchasing virtual game items.

Jeremy Hillman, who according to his Twitter bio is based in Washington DC, recently found his 13-year-old son had spent $4500 on FIFA purchases without his parents' knowledge.

Writing in a Medium.com blog post on the issue, Hillman admitted it had taken him several months to notice something was amiss.

"I initially thought it must be a glitch in the renewal of my Office 365 subscription," he explained. "A quick check showed it couldn't have been that.

"When I heard my son meekly call out for his mother from his bedroom after hearing me start to rant it there was clearly another explanation."

Hillman said he has since confiscated his son's Xbox and put a promised table-tennis table on hold.

But he has also questioned Microsoft's role in the saga, and asked whether the company could have done more to stop the charges occurring.

"Where was Microsoft in this? What was their responsibility? I should declare here that I feel conflicted about writing this. I have good friends at Microsoft, especially in the press and communications teams.

"We went back and forth a couple of times but to no effect, even though I pointed out my son's age was registered in their system and it was to his name they were sending a receipt for each purchase."

Hillman admitted he had entered his own credit card details into his son's account, but that was just to download the game itself, and he had no knowledge that more money could then be spent.

"In truth my wife and I probably should have paid a little more attention," Hillman admitted. "But new house, new jobs meant he was left to his own devices more than usual. He tearfully told me that he'd tried to buy a player pack for $100 but it hadn't worked and so he tried a couple more times.

"My wife and I accept our responsibility in this. We should have paid much closer attention to his video gaming, and my son accepts his responsibility and punishment. [But] how many users legitimately spend thousands of dollars on in-app purchases and just how much usage would it actually take for [Microsoft] to flag this as unusual behaviour and require confirmation that the purchase is legitimate? Banks and credit card companies regularly do this.

"If there's a lawyer out there that wants to start a class-action against Microsoft and force them into compensation and adopting a better policy I'll happily sign up."

After seeing the blog gain traction online, Hillman updated his post to state: "I have not initiated any legal action, and am not planning to, and have already paid the credit card bill. My main intention for the blog was to share my experience with other parents and help them learn from my mistakes."

Hillman is not the first parent to discover that their child has been spending time spending their money. Numerous UK parents have complained about unexpected charges on their bank statements, racked up by their kids via tablets, phones and games consoles tied to their parents' credit cards.

Microsoft offers a suite of parental controls on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One that restrict access to unauthorised purchases, as well as age-appropriate content and other settings.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Guy admits that he was to blame for not paying attention and not being a good parent, yet still wants to sue Microsoft and get his money back...

:kwafuckyeah:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well there is stuff like this:

"He tearfully told me that he'd tried to buy a player pack for $100 but it hadn't worked and so he tried a couple more times."

If he got charged each time for that, he should have some recourse to get a partial refund.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So he tried to buy the same pack 45 times and M$ charged it every single time? Yeah, right. Besides, I used to own an Xbox 360, you can't buy the DLC thing twice.

LundB

Mistakes were made.

Hit-Chan: Senpai Assassin.

Will probably d1p when full version comes out if you can really spread bitchy rumours and get rival girls to kill themselves. That right there is a unique stealth gameplay element. Maybe lp, surely it can't fuck me up worse than Hatoful already did after all.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
this shd play when the countdown starts

mybodyisreadysenpai.png

My body is ready, senpai. Uguuu~

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane

"He tearfully told me that he'd tried to buy a player pack for $100 but it hadn't worked and so he tried a couple more times."

If he got charged each time for that, he should have some recourse to get a partial refund.

Yes because why would a 12 year old lie after charging $4500 on his dad's credit card

pippin

Assuming the father only had one account.
Still, why is he blaming Microsoft? They only provide a service, which ended up costing US$4500. It's not their fault people spend their money like that.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

He tried it and it didn't work, so he tried again 44 times.

Assuming the father only had one account.
Still, why is he blaming Microsoft? They only provide a service, which ended up costing US$4500. It's not their fault people spend their money like that.

Well, he does say that

"My wife and I accept our responsibility in this. We should have paid much closer attention to his video gaming, and my son accepts his responsibility and punishment. [But] how many users legitimately spend thousands of dollars on in-app purchases and just how much usage would it actually take for [Microsoft] to flag this as unusual behaviour and require confirmation that the purchase is legitimate? Banks and credit card companies regularly do this.

My underage brother made an account without issue. If he was unaware of how the small purchases can add up after a while we could have ended up with a similar debt (we'd probably notice it earlier, though :M ). the "It's not my fault if people are retarded lel" approach doesn't help anyone but careless and/or ill-intentioned sellers.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

He tried it and it didn't work, so he tried again 44 times.

Lol. It is totally the parents' fault for letting their child play on a shitty piece of shit console. They should take it away and buy him a PC instead, and only install oldschool games from disks and not do digital downloads (or anything that is modern popamole with countless DLC)

Grimlorn

Arcane
Kids shouldn't be authorized to use their parent's credit card to begin with no matter what. So he should be able to get a refund if he makes a claim with the credit card companies.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's classic 'easy to opt-in' for e-commerce, no options to opt-out.
The software automatically remembers your credit card details and had to be manually purged if you want to remove it.
And I'm betting you if the father proceeds with the refund, Origins will simply ban his son's account.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
He says if you are seen killing someone by your beloved the game ends because senpai will never love you. The ending cutscene in that instance better be a murder-suicide and not just a 'game over', or he's doing it wrong.

pippin

Loverslab will have that covered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom