Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Drakron

Arcane
This is reason why we use "lol gaming journalists" Because none of them finished any school, they don't know jack shit about confirming sources and journalistic work. They also can't write for shit.

Actually I seen plenty with a "Major in English" that kinda strikes me as a joke as the only thing you are required to became a gaming journalist, there are proper journalism courses but I suspect gaming journalism pays poorly enough people rather be a mouthpiece of the GOP on FOX that go working on gaming.

That is I guess part why "gaming journalism" never grown up, they already were little more of opinion pieces and never evolved beyond that, they did get all the vices of modern journalism I grant them that.

Perkel

Arcane
This is reason why we use "lol gaming journalists" Because none of them finished any school, they don't know jack shit about confirming sources and journalistic work. They also can't write for shit.

Actually I seen plenty with a "Major in English" that kinda strikes me as a joke as the only thing you are required to became a gaming journalist, there are proper journalism courses but I suspect gaming journalism pays poorly enough people rather be a mouthpiece of the GOP on FOX that go working on gaming.

That is I guess part why "gaming journalism" never grown up, they already were little more of opinion pieces and never evolved beyond that, they did get all the vices of modern journalism I grant them that.

It has more to do with what you are writing about.
Games are just part of entertainment. Like movies, golf and shit like that.

Drakron

Arcane
It has more to do with what you are writing about.
Games are just part of entertainment. Like movies, golf and shit like that.

Sure but here are the problems, reviews are made by critics that I dont think they attempt pass as journalists, same with commentators ... but "gaming journalists" attempt to do exactly that, that they are journalist and at the same time pass their articles as "opinions" when they come under attack.

Even critics and commentators usually have background on the field, John Madden is not some guy that played Basketball in High School but in gaming it seems there is often a complete lack in any technical knowledge of the field, its no wonder that we have such focus on "story" because its all those "gaming journalists" know about as English Majors, they treat games as books or movies and cannot see anything beyond narrative since that pretty much their entire academical background.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Holy cow. Is this the future ?

Remember when you used to see unboxing videos everywhere ? In a dematerialized economy, this only makes sense : show us videos of people buying stuff online !

I think I will take it to the next level. I will buy a game, film my screen while it downloads in Steam, screams such bullshit like "Look at how this download bar goes !" "I'm so excited !" "So many kilobytes per second !" "If I lower my camera, you can actually see my HDD light blinking..." ... Some retards are bound to watch this. The same kind of retards who watch that kind of terrible bullshit.

100k views ? Fuck you, Internet. FUCK YOU.

Cute azn and BIG boobies...are you gay or something?

Zep--

Love

Cipher
I mean, what's the bloody point? Are you so insecure with your own opinion you need it to be validated by some guy on YouTube?

If there's a babe in the thumbnail I cannot not click it. I'm so glad I'm not browsing the internet some 15 years ago...

Drakron

Arcane
^ :lol: Made me laugh and he speaks the truth.

No, he doesnt.

Bloodborne have all he is bitching about that doesnt exist on "for babies", range matters and even regular mobs can trash you but lets go over what he complains about ...

Batman, Shadow of Mordor, Witcher and AssCreed.

Batman combat have been about the same since Asylum aind it worked back them, it still works now ... you are the motherfucking Batman, it worked because on how the encounter system function and you were the motherfucking Batman ... Shadows of Mordor uses the exact same system because at some point it was to be a Batman title, I blame more WB that the game, it might been a serviceable Batman title but it isnt, it is what it is ... Batman, Mordor and for AssCreed, similar to Batman ... started that way, its unlikely to change because it started that way.

A lot of what he bitches is fucking stupid, if you have a system with a lot of adds you cannot make it "Fencing Simulator 2015", its a FUCKING GAME, games with more variables also make it so the player concentrate on what he is doing because the system is too precise to allow for situations were its 10 vs 1, if that happens the player must have fucked up or there is a trick to the adds, this do have to give to be replayable and the whole Tripe A combat sucks its not because it does (since its debatable) but because its Triple A, if he wants to complain about combat then do it on EACH game and highlight the issues, not making a broad statement without any consideration for the basic design behind each game.

Oh and Jedi Academy lightsaber combat sucks for the record.

retardation

Learned
A journalist is anyone who involves himself in reporting about things, whether he likes being called that way or not, and whether you like it or not.

Uhh...no.

A journalist is someone who reports facts, writes stories based on facts and seeks out the truth. They are very few in number, and become fewer every year. This is the word every reporter wants to be called.

A reporter just reports things, things which are usually written by a third party. Truth is irrelevant, facts are irrelevant, they just speak what they either choose to speak, or are told to speak.

There are more modern terms for "reporter" - public spokesperson, megaphone, sockpuppet, official representative, etc. I can't think of any other word for "journalist".
OK, I can agree with this. To the others - you don't need a specialized education to become a journalist:

larry-king-photo.jpg

I believe some people are confused on what constitutes journalism. Opinion pieces, reviews, interviews, writing news - it's all journalism. You can be an independent journalist without formal education and still have a right to access the information needed for a feature on your blog or a YT channel and research stuff. I'm not pulling this out of my ass, you know. In my opinion, angry joe is a journalist - a bad one, sure, but still a journalist. Him drooling over Star Citizen Kickstarter three years ago is relevant to the thread about corrupt games journalists, given the obvious problems/scamming Star Citizen's development is going through. There is some serious butthurt about these things on this forum that I can't understand.

Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane
Batman combat have been about the same since Asylum and it worked back them, it still works now ... you are the motherfucking Batman, it worked because on how the encounter system function and you were the motherfucking Batman...

Your argument basically boils down to:
When You Press A Button, Something AWESOME BATMAN Has To Happen!!!
Button = BATMAN.
Button = BATMAN.
Warner Bro's Game = BATMAN BUTTON!!!

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is the appeal of reaction videos?

"Oh boy that video I watched was great I sure can't wait to go on YouTube and watch some loser watch the same video while screaming like an autist because he knows he's being filmed and is intentionally overacting!"

I mean, what's the bloody point? Are you so insecure with your own opinion you need it to be validated by some guy on YouTube?

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...ay-have-fewer-friends-but-are-less-lonely.htm

Drakron

Arcane

No, my argument is Batman system is based on combos and several enemies on the screen that allow for the combos to work, you can either make less enemies on screen that are more capable fighters and suddenly random street thugs are as capable in combat as Batman that fucking stupid to allow the system to work or you do what they did.

Next thing you will complain Superman is downright invulnerable and can never be challenged that is true to the character, Batman is Batman and you have to remain true to the character, if anything being almost exclusive a brawler detracts of the challenges of. being Batman, that is usually out thinking his foes since if you look at it, not many of his rogue gallery are exactly at super strength.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

No, my argument is Batman system is based on combos and several enemies on the screen that allow for the combos to work, you can either make less enemies on screen that are more capable fighters and suddenly random street thugs are as capable in combat as Batman that fucking stupid to allow the system to work or you do what they did.

Next thing you will complain Superman is downright invulnerable and can never be challenged that is true to the character, Batman is Batman and you have to remain true to the character, if anything being almost exclusive a brawler detracts of the challenges of. being Batman, that is usually out thinking his foes since if you look at it, not many of his rogue gallery are exactly at super strength.
I posted this at some point:

Actiongames are not for everyone. The combat is no revellation but its also definitely not shit.
Pretty sick of seeing that bullshit. Key part of action games is player control, player input 1 = action 1. Games where Input 1 = Action 1,2,3,4, .... depending on what the game feels is right for the moment and makes the PC look good ain't good action gaming. These systems were made so shitty players could do this

If the Arkham/AssCreed/Shadows of Mordor/Twitcher2/3 designers created that, all offensive melee actions would be done with one button and hoping the game makes the right call on which move fires off. Just so some idiot just jumping in wouldn't complain that it didn't make him "feel like a Witcher/Batman/Whatever" when his PC sits there swinging at nothing due to his incompetence.

Why can't batman only feel like batman when the player gets good? He can be allowed to miss hits/air-swing if the bad player is incapable of judging distance/direction and doing the correct input, instead of "press attack: do a superman punch that lands on the guy 5m away, press attack: do uppercut that finishes that guy, press attack: turns around and right hooks the guy that has moved in behind batman etc." The massive loss of control/decision-making that has come from these games does make for worse action gameplay. Pretty sure the main reason for it was so the games could impress during those 10min demos that journalists/attendees get at E3 et al. so they'd get write-ups/impressions like "WOW I AM THE BATMAN I WAS SO BADASS CLEARED 20 GUYS WITH FLYING KNEES, ROUNDHOUSE KICKS, UPERCUTS IT WAS INSANE! CRASH POW BOOM!" rather than "I couldn't land hits, got surrounded and died, batman wouldn't do this: 6/10". Action game :decline: .

MrContinuity

Learned
Codex isn't the hero the internet needs, Codex is the hero the internet deserves.

I can't remember if I read this somewhere already or not.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Last two look terribad. First two look great, would play. The third picture doesn't load.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Google actually sorted them in that order automatically, I think. Pretty smart algorithm.

soldier%20rule%2063%20team%20fortress%202%201354x939%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperwa.com_59.jpg
sniper%20rule%2063%20team%20fortress%202%201354x886%20wallpaper_wallpaperswa.com_12.jpg
medic%20tf2%20rule%2063%20team%20fortress%202%201805x1387%20wallpaper_www.wallpapermay.com_71.jpg
rule%2063%20demoman%20tf2%20team%20fortress%202%201354x954%20wallpaper_www.wall321.com_76.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom