Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best unexpected villains or heroes

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
We had recently though of a rather particular topic and I wanted to hear your opinion on it.

What cRPG characters had the most unexpected character development?

I'm speaking of an instance when a character turned out to be the opposite of what you have expected: when a trusted and liked character went rogue or a nasty looking dude turned out to be a rather nice guy.

Javik of Mass Effect 3 probably is a good example. Being a prothean he was supposed to be a bearer of their lost knowledge and culture, but in reality he turned out to be quite a racist and xenophobic dick. He badmouths everybody and propagates Nazi-friendly doctrine of superior and inferior species and survival of the fittest.

So are there any other good examples when a character in a cRPG turned out to be not what you had expected?

Mark Richard

Arcane
What the hell, Yoshimo?!! Never has a character pulled the wool so completely over my eyes.

So you were betrayed by a thief you've met in a prison? Could have you maybe expected something?
It was the lab of a mad wizard, and we were the live specimens. If there was anything that should've tipped me off, its how he got along fabulously with everybody while the rest of the party were at each other's throats.

HansDampf

Arcane
Javik of Mass Effect 3 probably is a good example. Being a prothean he was supposed to be a bearer of their lost knowledge and culture, but in reality he turned out to be quite a racist and xenophobic dick. He badmouths everybody and propagates Nazi-friendly doctrine of superior and inferior species and survival of the fittest.

And he cost extra 10$. What a dick.

:d1p:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dualclassing my ranger #3 to mage on level 16.

#1 and #2 dualclassed on level 15, so that was unexpected.
Would all your characters eventually take a level in mage? Or would warlocks, sorcerors etc. suffice?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
vglo4p.png

What the hell, Yoshimo?!! Never has a character pulled the wool so completely over my eyes.

Eh, kinda. But Pink from Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption didn't have such a huge role and you can't do much about it.

91_ivkcc_IKu_W96_PY.jpg

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Best unexpected villian? From Anachronox:

Spoiler
When Grumpos betrays you. I really expected Stiletto to turn on you somewhere during the fight against the gang, but she sticks on your side. Grumpos was a punch to the gut, especially since he seems guilt-ridden about it himself.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
It was the lab of a mad wizard, and we were the live specimens. If there was anything that should've tipped me off, its how he got along fabulously with everybody while the rest of the party were at each other's throats.

Yeah, I might need to replay that TBH.

Smiling Jack was a villain?

If I remember correctly in one of the endings he loads up the coffin with dynamite and blows up the tower with you and everyone else from the current leadership.

I am surprised to say that RPGs' writing in this area seems somewhat underwhelming. Most of the time the bad guys stick to their evil guns and so do the herroes. Some FPS and adventure games had better betrayals or surprising loyalties.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Yeah, I might need to replay that TBH.

Smiling Jack was a villain?

If I remember correctly in one of the endings he loads up the coffin with dynamite and blows up the tower with you and everyone else from the current leadership.

I am surprised to say that RPGs' writing in this area seems somewhat underwhelming. Most of the time the bad guys stick to their evil guns and so do the herroes. Some FPS and adventure games had better betrayals or surprising loyalties.

First, you are only on the receiving side of Smiling Jack's plan if you side against his boys. Second, he is really just taking orders from...

the damn cab driver of all people!

mondblut

Arcane
Dualclassing my ranger #3 to mage on level 16.

#1 and #2 dualclassed on level 15, so that was unexpected.
Would all your characters eventually take a level in mage? Or would warlocks, sorcerors etc. suffice?

Goldbox series had no warlocks and sorcerors. :obviously:
Yeah, but other games and pnp?

What other games? :obviously:

OK, in Dark Sun they all also get psionics as third class. Then, as the decline hit, dualclassing got increasingly non-viable. I still run through half of BG2 with 6 fighters, dualing 5 into mages and 1 into cleric in ToB.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Kefka in FFVI, I thought he was just a silly clown... How little did I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom