Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Betrayer (17th century FPS from Ex-Monolith devs)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i think rps should be informed about all dis on the double

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The problem is that modern sand-box games aren't sandboxy enough

Based on jurnos advanced logic - every game that's not corridor/on rail is sandbox.

Now git a shover and dig for blood

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Oh dear, I used the word sandbox three times!!!

I did call them smaller, though. In one iteration I called them miniature sandbox levels.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I beat it. It was fun and the weapons were indeed good. Some of the fights were really tense. It got too easy at the end, though. The overpowered bow that made 70 dmg and realoaded fast made the pistol redundant and the final crossbow was far better than the musket. I wish the musket was more powerful and the enemies tougher.

I didn't like the story, it was not particularly engaging. It tried to be minimalistic but in number of words only which made it often unclear. Not to mention that none of the characters had much to say which made it impossible to feel any connection.

There was no variety-the enemy types were too few, every level was basically the same, every quest and wraith was basically the same. I enjoyed the game far more before I understood how the sound compass worked.
The game was disappointing considering its potential, but I enjoyed it.

Are there multiples endings?
What happens if you don't let any of the wraiths rest or does something change if you let all of them rest peacefully (do all side quests?)
What happens if you tell the chick in red that she has to die?
Do gifts matter?

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
I had the same doubts you pointed in your spoiler tags. One thing I hate about games nowadays is having just one save slot, making you play the game again from the beginning in order to see "possible" choices. And it would piss me off if you replay... and in fact there's no difference at all in the end.

The game is cool and fun, but yes, it is repetitive. But the most fun I had in the end was ignoring the "listen" button and find things by exploration only. Ther was a moment in the middle that I was using the listening button and it felt like I was rushing from point to point not giving a damn about exploration. I stoped doing this and instead I tried to find all the loot and readables in previous maps. than it got fun again.

About the story, it doesn't have one "main" storyline at all... it's all a bunch of side quests.

And the ending is a bit lame, I mean, the final scene/frame before credits. What actually happens?

Decided to give it a go yesterday and I like it so far. My only problem with the game is save system (or lack of thereof), you basically have to haul your ass back from the safe area to spot where you were killed to get your shit back, Diablo 2 style. This, combined with the fact that framerate is far from perfect on my laptop, managed to get me pissed two or three times.

Also, I keep making mistake of playing it in the middle of the day. It should be played at night when you can take full advantage of it's unsettling atmosphere and "creative" use of audio (Basically a invisible quest compass).

I wonder if they will manage to make some money from this game because I wouldn't mind seeing more games like this.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And the ending is a bit lame, I mean, the final scene/frame before credits. What actually happens?

Lame?

I had to pick up my jaw from the floor.

hint:

The game is called Betrayer for a reason, and the fact that literally all the wraiths you find along the way are betrayers is also not without reason

and if you mean huge-ass shadows: page scraps

and since when does "what actually happens?" equal being lame? :x

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Apparently,
there are supposed to be hints about that ending in the free roam mode that comes after, in that you can still talk to the Maiden in Red. Except when people tried this on the suggestion of the developers, they found out shit was bugged so they couldn't chat with her properly. There was a 300-something MB update last night, though, so it may be fixed.

Lame?

I had to pick up my jaw from the floor.

hint:

The game is called Betrayer for a reason, and the fact that literally all the wraiths you find along the way are betrayers is also not without reason

and if you mean huge-ass shadows: page scraps

and since when does "what actually happens?" equal being lame? :x

The spooky final frame at the end was too cliché from horror movies. Not the ending story.

Yes, I mean the huge shadows. I read about the giants ancestors, but they're mentioned so rarely (I found just one scrap mentioning them directly), that I didn't get their role other than spook you. Of course, I had some problems reading some dialogue and scraps because some skeleton/spaniard started attacking me while on conversations/reading scraps

Ok, just finished it.

So, what the hell happens at the end of the game other than "maiden in red ist computar"?

Those giant wraiths gangbangs protagonist or something?

Ok, just finished it.

So, what the hell happens at the end of the game other than "maiden in red ist computar"?

Those giant wraiths gangbangs protagonist or something?

After the post-credits game, go back to Fort Hope and have a last talk to the Maiden. She will explain.

I just uninstalled the game :M

Fuck, could you write down a summary of what Maiden says about the ending?

well, since i'm a completionist, I'm still wandering around trying to find some chests, scraps and the thieves...

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Just finished it, and talked to the the Maiden in Red again. Only thing it seems to signify is that you are trapped in some kind of limbo, continuing the same cycle until the Maiden lets go of her sisters soul. Still leaves a lot of stuff unanswered, like who the player character is, and why he has the ability to see the spirit dimension or the conquistadors (since the Maiden mentions she has no idea what the player is talking about...though she could have been lying).

Also they make a real point of Maiden in Red and her sister being twins, its both one of her first and last lines, and I can't figure out if there's any meaning to it.

Last edited:
this game betrayed me... I killed the thief in fort hope, moments later I open my journal and my game crashes. when i reload, my journal do not acknowledge that the thief was slain, but if I look for the thief again, the fucker doesn't show up again...
codex_rage.png

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
What are the thieves, I wonder? I always saw "The thief has escaped," pop up when one of the floating skulls would get away, but their circumstances make be think they're some other enemy type that I never even caught.

What are the thieves, I wonder? I always saw "The thief has escaped," pop up when one of the floating skulls would get away, but their circumstances make be think they're some other enemy type that I never even caught.

It's easier to kill them before they see you, with a good musket. If they see you, you have too kill them before they disappear. If that happens, you have to get in and out of shadow world by ringing the bell and try again. But they are just those skull wraiths floating around that give you money after you kill them.

there's a thief in each section.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom