Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wellspring: Altar of Roots - tactical RPG inspired by JRPGs (formerly Bevontule)

crpgnut

Augur
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850696222/bevontule-altar-of-roots
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=908402879

https://www.bevontule.com

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34092

Not sure why these guys didn't post here too. They're much more likely to get real feedback from here rather than the Watch. For some reason the Watch is full of console gamers now.....

Here's the link to the demo if you guys want to check it out. I'll try to point the devs this way.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/bevontule/downloads/bevontule-pre-alpha-demo

Last edited by a moderator:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Nice find, looks great.
Header.1.jpg

I don't like to be spoiled, but I don't think I'll be able to resist playing the demo (currently downloading it).

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
Hey guys, one of the developers of Bevontule here! I'd love to answer any questions you might have about the game or its development. If any of you wanted to try the demo, I'd love to hear your feedback (don't worry, there isn't really anything too harsh that you could say.) Thanks again!

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Plays a lot like a JRPG, oddly enough. It even has the old wipe to battle transition. UI is also very gamepad oriented.

A bit too clunky (and slow) for my tastes, and the MC model needs a bit of work.

Mortmal

Arcane
RPGCodex staff is too busy doing marketing and advertisement for obsidian they dont care of this kind games, you will be informed about the next tyranny dev diary or even armored warfare patch notes before any indie blobber releases.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i just hope to god Infinitron keeps me up to day on every single second-to-second development about MCA's possible involvement as a freelance friend-of-a-cousin system vision document writer for the upcoming System Shock reboot/remake/all-new game which is being Kickstarted in 2017 and if, *fingers crossed*, all goes well and the Codex devotes enough front-page coverage to this dream-RPG in the making we will possibly be playing a verticle slice of the alpha of the beta by 2019.

remember guys, please, please keep those fingers crossed!

and remember to bother Infinitron every single day about news about this turn-based RPG!

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
I will be the first to admit that yes, the main character leaves a... little to be desired. Of the developers, none of us are artists and we wanted to get the game up and running as quickly as possible using 'placeholder' art, so you will have to excuse the quality level of some of the assets. We'll sort the main character out eventually as well as some of the other art and environments. I do agree that the game is way too slow in parts and there is no reason why a lot of text/animations/effects should take as long as they do. Lots of graphical improvements are still to be made and we will eventually re-do or improve many of the animations/skill effects. I would be interested to hear thoughts about the combat, its strategy, difficulty and inuitiveness.

Mustawd

we wanted to get the game up and running as quickly as possible using 'placeholder' art, so you will have to excuse the quality level of some of the assets.

Just word of caution, even hardcore gamers have a bad understanding of placeholder assets. In addition, when devs traditionally post screen shots or videos it is usua;;y pretty close to alpha, if not there already. I myself made the same mistake.

So I'd suggest you put some kind of disclaimer on your public media.

I'll take a deeper dive and let you know my thoughts.

Mortmal

Arcane
I will be the first to admit that yes, the main character leaves a... little to be desired. Of the developers, none of us are artists and we wanted to get the game up and running as quickly as possible using 'placeholder' art, so you will have to excuse the quality level of some of the assets. We'll sort the main character out eventually as well as some of the other art and environments. I do agree that the game is way too slow in parts and there is no reason why a lot of text/animations/effects should take as long as they do. Lots of graphical improvements are still to be made and we will eventually re-do or improve many of the animations/skill effects. I would be interested to hear thoughts about the combat, its strategy, difficulty and inuitiveness.

Well a torrent seed for the demo would be nice as the indie db bandwith is ridiculously low, would take me 8 hours to download.

Mustawd

Looks interesting, but the free movement system during combat is goofy as hell. I'd rather much prefer a grid based system.

crpgnut

Augur
Free movement is there for backstabs and such. The DPS dude can sneak around the battleground attacking targets that the tank has taunted. The third guy is a healer/monk. The art assets are lame, but the combat is pretty challenging. I still haven't figured out how to level up. I think it might not be in the demo; at least in full. I also haven't figured out how to unequip some items and replace them with others. I've only messed around with it for a bit though.

Mustawd

Free movement is there for backstabs and such.

Meh, that can still be done with grid based movement, but whateva. It just looks dumb. The rest of the game seemed interesting. I'll make sure to follow along.

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
I still haven't figured out how to level up. I think it might not be in the demo; at least in full.

You can level up in the demo by gaining EXP after each battle, but the max level is capped at 5 currently. In the real game, skills will be acquired by spending AP, which is also gained after battle. We wanted to give the player access to most of the skills we have implemented just because... well, why the hell not. Enemy levels 'pseudo-scale' with the player and they actually do learn different skills at higher levels.

I also haven't figured out how to unequip some items and replace them with others.

This should be pretty straightforward. You should be able to just go to 'Equip', select the character, select the piece of armor you want to exchange, and then select another piece from the list, if applicable. You have to keep in mind that there are three armor 'classes.' I'll admit, this is not very well explained or clarified in the demo, but the DPS can only equip 'light' armor, the healer/monk can equip 'medium' armor, and the tank can equip... you guessed it. If you mouse over/highlight an item in the 'Inventory' panel, the character portrait will flash to indicate that he or she can equip that particular item.

the developer doesn't got his dev badge yet.

...tell me more?!

Severian Silk

Did D:OS have an undo command to revert an action such as movement? I agree the free movement in Bevontule is cheesy, but it does solve that problem where you mis-clicked or moved somewhere bad and later regret it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom