Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Beyond Good & Evil 2

Fez

Erudite
I wonder how many Rayman games he'll have to make in return for them letting him have another shot at his dream game? I think the last one was considered to have struggled for sales.

larpingdude14

Scholar
Fez said:
I wonder how many Rayman games he'll have to make in return for them letting him have another shot at his dream game? I think the last one was considered to have struggled for sales.

Phil Fish said:
at first, RRR was going to be your usual rayman platform game, but with wii controls. or atleast that's what ancel wanted to make. but it became clear early on that this wasnt going to be possible.
so, so other designer stepped up and came up up with the mini/party game idea using the rabbids character that ancel had came up with himself. higher-ups were pleased and the project was given a greenlight. ancel was FURIOUS. he threatened to leave ubisoft if he didnt get what he wanted. afraid to lose their ONE big famous designer (altho i guess clint kind of fits that mold now), ubisoft caved in and pretty much gave ancel a carte blanche to do whatever he wished next. so he made beyond good and evil too. and thats why ancel isnt credited as a designer on RR but rather just as a character designer.

Disconnected

Scholar
Does anyone know if the PC version of BG&E has been un-bugged? - Back when it came out a friend of mine discovered the game can't be finished because of .. Something I can't quite remember. Anyway, I'd like to play it someday, so.. Anyone know?

peak

Scholar
skyway said:
BG&E1 + it didn't sell + Ubisoft = hello dumbing down yay

To be fair it's not much to dumb down from the first - though I loved it all the same for it's very fluent gameplay, pretty art style etc. it was pretty standard gameplay.

Ubi can fuck it up in other ways though hopefully Ancel will stop them from destroying too much.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Glad to hear they're actually going to continue the series. There's nothing more annoying than when you leave a good story on a cliff hanger but never finish it (Fuck you Anachronox).

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Disconnected said:
Does anyone know if the PC version of BG&E has been un-bugged? - Back when it came out a friend of mine discovered the game can't be finished because of .. Something I can't quite remember. Anyway, I'd like to play it someday, so.. Anyone know?

If you mean the bug where you can not get a key from one of the robots in the slaughterhouses, my experimentations told me it was because of the crack I used (same happened to my girlfriend of the time when I lent her the game). When using the original cd with the original exe (or a cd image), we could complete the whole game without trouble.

Aside that I hope the game will be good, BG&E was a real pleasure for me from start to end.

Hory

Erudite
Wow, they're making a sequel to BG&E? Ubisoft must have no business sense. :)

WalterKinde

Scholar
I did pick up that game when it first got released and enjoyed it, lets hope they keep it simple, and stick to the original gameplay mechanics/storyline with some improvements.

Disconnected

Scholar
larpingdude14 said:
the central hall crash? You can download a patch for it here:
http://www.terrygoodkind.net/~rahly/bgae.php
Gragt said:
If you mean the bug where you can not get a key from one of the robots in the slaughterhouses, my experimentations told me it was because of the crack I used (same happened to my girlfriend of the time when I lent her the game). When using the original cd with the original exe (or a cd image), we could complete the whole game without trouble.

Aside that I hope the game will be good, BG&E was a real pleasure for me from start to end.
I couldn't say which, but between a link to patches & you having finished the PC version, I'm guessing it's safe to buy. Thanks :)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Disconnected said:
I couldn't say which, but between a link to patches & you having finished the PC version, I'm guessing it's safe to buy. Thanks :)

In addition to the patch there is also a utility to fix save games in case you get stuck but I never had to use it. The only problem I had with the pc version that made the game unable to be finished was due to the crack as I said.

Now to be fair I also have to play with compatibility options and enable or disable some sutff (I do not remember what) else the sound isn't synchronized with the cutscenes but other than that, I really had no problems with the game.

Noceur

Liturgist
Gragt said:
Disconnected said:

In addition to the patch there is also a utility to fix save games in case you get stuck but I never had to use it. The only problem I had with the pc version that made the game unable to be finished was due to the crack as I said.

Now to be fair I also have to play with compatibility options and enable or disable some sutff (I do not remember what) else the sound isn't synchronized with the cutscenes but other than that, I really had no problems with the game.

That's weird, I don't remember any bug-crashes, or having to disable stuff, at all. Are we talking XP or Vista here?

Also, OT, I'm glad and somewhat surprised that BG&E gets a sequel. It's one of the few.. err... platformers I've enjoyed. Although I suppose it's more of an action-adventure game with lots of other elements thrown in, platforming being one of them.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I'm on XP and these sync problems happened only when I got my new computer, new at the time. On my old one, using a geforce 4 ti 4200, I had no problems at all (except the key problem due to the crack). When I tried it on my pc with the ati x800xl, I had the sync problems, I had to enable one option in the compatibility menu and that was all, hardly inconvenient. Then again maybe it is because of an option on the level of the driver... I should try again to be certain.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Not much to dumb down on a action platformer like BG&E.

I'm gonna get this game for sure. The first was a sweet action-platformer with very likable characters and game world. One of the better games in it's genre. Excellent flow and a pretty solid story. I hope the sequal will be a bit longer though, the first one felt pretty short given the detail of the game world. A couple of more hours wouldn't hurt.

And for the sake of everything sacred in this world, enough with the fucking rabbits allready. The first one was interesting out of pure weirdness even though it was a collection of mini-games, but the concept has been taken as far as it can.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
skyway said:
BG&E1 + it didn't sell + Ubisoft = hello dumbing down yay

Heh.

Didn't take long

2003's Beyond Good & Evil garnered strong critical reception and found a loyal fanbase made up of core gamers, but it didn't exactly light up the sales charts.

Ubisoft chief exec Yves Guillemot told Next-Gen at its Ubidays event in Paris that this time around, the company will try to leave little to chance.

“We saw with Beyond Good & Evil that so many customers were extremely happy with the game,” said Guillemot. “We had a different audience at that time. We had more core gamers than casual gamers than we have today.

"We think the game was probably a little too difficult for the general gamers at that time. We’re going to make it more accessible and make sure that it’s really done for the new generation that’s come into videogames.”

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Ow, the way he says it, it sounds bad... BG&E isn't a very hard game to begin with (heck even my ex finished it, twice).

It seems to be one of these games that, just like some movies or books, did not have a commercial success but achieved some kind of a cult status over time. I guess that in that context a sequel after a delay makes sense.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want a sequel to Little Big Adventure 2 and me to be like10 years old so I can enjoy it!! I bet those frenchies can't do that!!!

Oh, and why did they make Pey'J look like Duke Nukem in the trailer?

Otingocni

Novice
If I remember right, though it could be some old scuttlebutt, wasnt BG&E a failure because Ubisoft gave the game no marketing support? The two things Ive heard was that it was an experiment to see how a game would sell on word of mouth, and they were also using the full resources of their marketing department to shill the Prince of Persia game that came out at the same time.

We think the game was probably a little too difficult for the general gamers at that time.
:roll:

Fez

Erudite
I'd be surprised if anyone finding that game too difficult to play would be able to operate the control pad of a console at all. It doesn't require much more than the Mario games and others of their kind. I dread to think of how they can dumb down a platformer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom