Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG2 replay, recommend me the best mods

Gregz

Arcane
I'm overdue for a BG2 replay.

What are the current/best/essential mods and versions that I should install, and which should I avoid?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
That's how I played last time, a few years ago

f606f59aea73720849e6eb34a9b0293d.png

Gregz

Arcane
Just Saerileth, a bottle of lube and a family box of tissues.

I've been buttraped by Darkest Dungeon, Battle Bros, Templar Battleforce, and Dark Souls enough to last a lifetime.

:negative:

I don't want uber difficulty, just want to crush my enemies and see them driven before me.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
I've been buttraped by Darkest Dungeon, Battle Bros, Templar Battleforce, and Dark Souls enough to last a lifetime.

:negative:

I don't want uber difficulty, just want to crush my enemies and see them driven before me.
Well, with Saerileth the real difficulty is that it's beyond cringeworthy. It is literally painful to watch. My memory is a bit fuzzy fuzzy, all I can remember is that I had to cry and fap simultanously, hence the lube and tissues.

In all seriousness though, Bester's list is quite decent (though I don't know what these Edwin&Viconia mods do). SCSII is almost a must. Just go easy on options like pre-buffing mages and tougher beholders if you want a reasonable difficulty. Personally I'm not very fond of most user created quests for BGII, they tend to break the game with uber-items. Unfinished business was OK though.

edit: It seems SCS v30 is the most recent version that works for both BGI and II.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
The best mod for this game is ToEE. You need to install ToEE over your BG2 install directory and then play it to experience a game with competently done combat that is good.

hell bovine

Arcane

What are the current/best/essential mods and versions that I should install, and which should I avoid?

I'll repost the relevant part here:
some mods for BG2:
1) BG2 fixpack - necessary
2) unfinished business
3) item and spell revisions (I play without it, but I think it adds replay value; also makes druids more viable as offensive spellcasters)
4) rogue rebalancing - without the chosen encounter, as that one is very difficult
5) BG2Tweakpack

I am not sure about the install order (because of the revisions), but apparently there is this tool (how did I miss this?!):
https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup/overview
which does the job for you, and also lists a lot of mods (works with BG2, BGT and EE)

Haven't included SCS & Ascension since you don't want increased difficulty. But I would still recommend the two basic options from SCS (leave out all the rest): improved general AI and better calls for help. There will be no noticeable spike in difficulty, but less general AI stupidity. And of course the widescreen mod and bigger fonts.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
With all the vast amounts of mods this has recieved over the years, it is honestly refreshing to JUST play the original unmodded game that was released by BioWare.

Incantatar

Cipher
I like the G3 revision mods and SCS. SCS is mandatory and if you don't play EE then TobEX and the Fixpack. Everything else is fluff.

Edit: And even if you don't want a tactical challenge install better call for help and smarter AI w/o pre casting from SCS. I don't agree with Jaesun, i think these mod components make the game objectively better.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Do we have a mod that allow druid transform into an amazon instead of animals? Cause that's the only thing can lure me to playing animorph. A caster druid is not bad, but anima druid is just eh.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

I'm currently replaying this, too. My mod-list is at the end of this post.

I can see where Jaesun's coming from, though. Sometimes I just like to play vanilla, too. I have played much more vanilla than modded, over the years.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Thoroughly recommend ToBEx as well. Removes the fake attacks but keeps the idle animation. Superior programming to Black Isle's attempt for IWD :thumbsup:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
With all the vast amounts of mods this has recieved over the years, it is honestly refreshing to JUST play the original unmodded game that was released by BioWare.

The base game is pretty easy if you have played it a few times.

This would be my minimum (not all components of course):

G3 Fixpack
SCS
G3 Tweaks
Widescreen

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
aTweaks is a great mod. However, be warned, the "Fiendish Gating" component makes fiend fights much, much harder if you are not an experienced player. Skip it, if you don't want added difficulty.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
aTweaks is a great mod. However, be warned, the "Fiendish Gating" component makes fiend fights much, much harder if you are not an experienced player. Skip it, if you don't want added difficulty.

Hell, yes. Fucking mephits in the Chateau are just the beginning..

Rogue Rebalancing is also great. Should be standard installation, too.

hell bovine

Arcane
It can't be as bad as Tactics pit fiends; those things bred like lemmings. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom