Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Biggest waste of potential in video games

some funny shit

Scholar
Alien Isolation, that game could be a masterpiece but it has so many flaws and bad segments.

Aliens vs Predator 2010 - how can you fuck up such great IP?

Freddie

Savant
Mass Effect series. Instead of refining what it was about, they went further and further finally failing so bad that they burned entire franchise. There is also brand value question. Just how much money EA will need to sink to get that much recognition to whatever their next attempt at sci-fi RPG will be.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Civilization 6 is disappointing in that it feels like the deathknell of a great series.
And 5 wasn't? That was the one that turned into stackless children's shit, not 6.

Civ5 is still a functional game. It's a marked step down from Civ4, but it is not a franchise deletion of the sort that Civ6 is.

McPlusle

Savant
Civilization 6 is disappointing in that it feels like the deathknell of a great series.
And 5 wasn't? That was the one that turned into stackless children's shit, not 6.

Civ5 is still a functional game. It's a marked step down from Civ4, but it is not a franchise deletion of the sort that Civ6 is.
For me, 5 was the franchise deletion. It was the biggest personal insult I've ever received in the form of a video game.

A lot of games were disappointing because of bad bugs. Bloodlines, Diablo 3, ToEE and others were practically unplayable due to serious bugs on release.

Diablo 3 is just a turd sundae in general. Sad end for a good series with plenty of potential.

Diablo 3 is when the series finale reached its potential with them giving you direct control over your character (in the console release) as opposed to point and click and discovered it works much better as a beat em up game. Now it could have pulled that aspect off far better than it did, and there's more that could have been done on an enemy design level if the game was actually made with those controls in mind, but giving you direct control over your character felt so much better than the point and click method the series normally has.

Cael

Arcane

For me, 5 was the franchise deletion. It was the biggest personal insult I've ever received in the form of a video game.
I took one look at the hex based, 1 unit per square system and tossed it back on the shelf. That isn't Civ. That is Master of Monsters on steroids, and while Master of Monsters was a pretty good game, it is a console game, not a PC one.

McPlusle

Savant

I took one look at the hex based, 1 unit per square system and tossed it back on the shelf. That isn't Civ. That is Master of Monsters on steroids, and while Master of Monsters was a pretty good game, it is a console game, not a PC one.
Exactly. I know it sounds petty, but any potential it has/had to be a good game is completely destroyed by the game having the audacity to bear the series' name.

Cael

Arcane
Exactly. I know it sounds petty, but any potential it has/had to be a good game is completely destroyed by the game having the audacity to bear the series' name.
I know what you mean. I played Warlocks 2, which is also a hex-based, 1 unit per tile game, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

But there is no way I am playing a Civ game that is like that. I have said it before: Civ4BTS was the last Civ game. The ones that came after are turn-based tower defense games.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
2D Metroidvanias.

Each specific element is something I love but the whole thing feels boring to me altogether.

Battlecruiser 3000 AD: I loved Wing Commander and always wondered what it would be like to control a capital ship like the Tiger's Claw or a Fralthi, and this seemed like the game that would make that dream come true. I ended up playing the most polished version, Universal Combat and it was still a pile of shit: Combat was a nonsensical mess where you could not tell how much damage you were taking or inflicting; traveling between systems often took ten minutes; the interface was a nightmare that made most flight simulations look simple and convenient; it crashed constantly; and despite the frustrating combat, it was a Roguelike.

Outpost: A promising simulation in which you had to rebuild human civilization on a new planet. It sounded like an interesting, complex game, but turned out to be a slow, buggy, unchallenging, overcomplicated mess that was quickly forgotten.

Mario is Missing and Mario's Time Machine: Turned one of the greatest game series into a slow, boring mess with no action, no creativity and nothing to do but answer trivia questions.

P.C. Mega Man 1 and 3: Mega Man is a fast, fan, colorful series, but you would never know it from these slow, unplayable, impossible games.

Jurassic Park: Trespasser: It promised to have a unique control system, a complex open world filled with cool dinosaurs and a lot of innovative puzzles. It ended up with nonfunctional controls, a featureless world with only a handful of dinosaurs because the game ran slow as shit even with those compromises and poorly-designed puzzles.

Darklands: It could have been great, as it had a great style inside towns, but the combat seemed to be unaffected by the player's choices and wandering around the open world was boring.

Albion: It had a lot of style and imagination--too bad the horrible controls and the fact that the doors looked like the windows made navigating in third person impossible, first person was even worse and the combat was a mess.

Gabriel Knight: The Beast within: A sequel to my favorite adventure game. Gabriel Knight was very atmospheric and mysterious, had great puzzles and characters and a nice sense of humor. This sequel was set in a boring city, had boring characters and a languid story, easy puzzzles and took itself way too seriously.

Darkwing Duck: Capcom made a lot of great games based on cartoons in the NES and SNES days, like Chip and Dale, Ducktales, Little Nemo and Aladdin. This, however, was a dull gamme with poor controls, level design and hit detection. I would have thought this was a bad Mega Man ripoff if I was not aware that Capcom made Mega Man.

Space Quest 6: Turned a classic series into a boring mess with little humor, poorly designed puzzles and an abrupt ending. This was the last official entry, though the fans made excellent sequels: Vohaul Strikes Back and Incinerations.

Daikatana: It should have been a great fast-paced shooter like Doom, but instead it was a frustrating mess in which you could be killed by your own weapons and had to babysit two retarded teammates.

Contra: Legacy of War: Took a classic series and turned it into a wretched pile of shit where it was nearly impossible to avoid taking damage, kill enemies or do anything.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadows: Turned a classic action series into an incredibly boring and tedious game whcih dragged on endlessly.

deuxhero

Arcane
Lord of Shadows 3DS game is apparently a decent enough metroidvania. Never played it though.

Far Cry 2-5: Having the player freely attack enemy targets of their choice with the tactics of their choice across a small country to bring down an enemy would have been a good use of an open world, except it was paired with awful gameplay mechanics, repetitive objectives and non-existent strategic level opposition. Just Cause 2 took this basic idea and pairs it with fun mechanics and it is a great game (1 came out before FC2, but it was meh.). There's also an ARMA3 mod that replicates the concept, but it's buggy to the point of being unplayable.

Saints Row 3: Take the sleeper hit of Saints Row 2, give it a better (?) budget and play up how it's not super serious except... virtually none of the "silly" content is actually funny. It commits the cardinal sin of an open world game and makes everything look the same with no rewards for exploring (most of the collectables are hidden on roofs you just flat out can't reach without an air vehicle). Your character is supposed to be a badass among badasses but the gameplay mechanics don't agree with that: You're very fragile till you get farm upgrades and spend most of your time hiding to restore HP (By contrast the 2nd game took so long to start HP restoration you couldn't really use it in combat and you were able to absorb more before dying.). The signature character customization was gimped massively and lacked many basic, obvious options (no miniskirt). Also the music is worse because they blew their budget on like 3 songs to play at scripted points.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Any current date MMORPG.

FTFY.

TBH, nothing wrong with the concept, it just needs a wholly different kind of human subspecies to go along with. Turns out, being Joe the Baker 24/7 isn't quite as exciting as indiscriminately butchering new players fresh outta chargen, stripping them naked and raping their corpses. Shocking, absolutely shocking. Who would have thought.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Morrowind

You spend tens of hours, maybe even hundreds, to explore the big world, craft boatload of items, hunt artifacts, kill legions, join factions... then you suddenly wake up to see you go through the motion of playing that game.

Because it doesnt connect. The lifeless dialog, the limpwristed character, the supposedly good writings...

It is writings that kill Morrowind for me: dialog, text, lore... It make the whole gigiantic world a piece of disconnect.

It take 7th spot in Codex top 75 with its true strength, which speak legion about its other quality. Its unability to advance further is entirely due to writings.

:what:

I hate Morrowind with a passion of thousand suns for the crime of not being Daggerfall, but writing is the least of its problems. You cannot into reading 36 lessons and hate yourself for that, or what?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
2D Metroidvanias.

Each specific element is something I love but the whole thing feels boring to me altogether.
But... are there any 3D metroidvanias?

"No" to the extent that that name may inherently refer to 2D games.

But Darksiders, Batman: Arkham Asylum series, From Software Games, and the newer Tomb Raider games all going in that direction in the sense of exploring around for "keys" to unlock further upgrades for your character and/or open doors to new areas.

laclongquan

Arcane
Morrowind

You spend tens of hours, maybe even hundreds, to explore the big world, craft boatload of items, hunt artifacts, kill legions, join factions... then you suddenly wake up to see you go through the motion of playing that game.

Because it doesnt connect. The lifeless dialog, the limpwristed character, the supposedly good writings...

It is writings that kill Morrowind for me: dialog, text, lore... It make the whole gigiantic world a piece of disconnect.

It take 7th spot in Codex top 75 with its true strength, which speak legion about its other quality. Its unability to advance further is entirely due to writings.

:what:

I hate Morrowind with a passion of thousand suns for the crime of not being Daggerfall, but writing is the least of its problems. You cannot into reading 36 lessons and hate yourself for that, or what?

Mon cherie, mondblut I got bad news for you: you have claps.
Like I said: waste. If it's bad from the start we wouldnt have invested massive amount of time into playing it.

Bad writings is like claps. You wouldnt know it's bad from the start~

Ebonsword

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma.

Not the game itself, which is fantastic, but the IP.

Seriously, it's been six fucking years since it came out, and we never got a proper sequel?!

Damn you, Capcom!!!

Yeah, Sims fails pretty hard at actually being worthwhile. Especially as the series went on and it became more cutesy and abstract.

I'm always surprised The Sims never went open world. First one came out in 2000, was a big hit, then GTA3 comes out the very next year and let's you run and drive around in a open world sandbox and is an even bigger hit. Always seems like two things that'd go together really well, could have even integrated SimCity 4 support into that kind of The Sims 2 like SimCopter & Streets of SimCity did with 2000 back in the '90s.

Even if it wasn't a mainline version of The Sims, just seems like such a no brainer that EA would have had someone do it by now. I mean, The Sims in a open world like GTA where different career paths gave you different gameplay opportunities seems like something people would eat up.

The attraction of open world is, well, world. While the attraction of The Sims is the building and the characters inside.

You could do both of those things. You could do a Sims where you do the normal Sims stuff, then when it's time to go somewhere you get in your car and actually drive to that place and do the thing you wanted to do. Careers would be a lot more interesting if they were things you actually went and did as opposed to a time period you fast forward through until Sims show back up on the lot; unless they just completely botched it, getting to play things like being a bank robber, a trauma surgeon, a detective, or some kind of athlete would be better than a screen with nobody on it. Having an open world wouldn't mean you wouldn't be able to build a house and tell your Sims when to eat, sleep, shit, read, and watch tv.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Morrowind

Please stop shitting on Morrowind.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
This is an easy one, but Thief 4.

I mean it was 10 years between it and Deadly Shadows. As a big Thief fan I was really gearing to get back into it. While waiting for another Thief game I discovered The Dark Mod and that ended up basically being my source for Thief-like entertainment. When Thief 4 was announced I was really excited (strangely, despite my cynicism for the industry). I tried to avoid most coverage of the game apart from the odd issue that would make news (e.g. the headshot = XP controversy), but in the end it was one of the few games I was still capable of being excited for its release despite being burnt out on most other modern titles.

The game gets released. I buy it, I play it. I finish it.

Now I just play TDM and fan missions for the older games. Feels like a better use of my time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom