Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Biomutant - open world post-apocalyptic kung fu with furries

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Biomutant_Screenshot_3840x2160_08.jpg

:love:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You can't lie, the game looks interesting and different.

Perhaps, but that doesn't preclude it being console-centric or having quote-unquote "RPG elements" (i.e. some numbers go up and down and you can change equipment, i.e. not actually an RPG).

Kitchen Utensil

I'm personally not very interested, but at least it's somewhat imaginative and looks like a game.

sullynathan

Arcane
You can't lie, the game looks interesting and different.

Perhaps, but that doesn't preclude it being console-centric or having quote-unquote "RPG elements" (i.e. some numbers go up and down and you can change equipment, i.e. not actually an RPG).
Ass Creed is now an "rpg" too, surely we can let this slide too. Infinitron is behind this so I doubt he'll take it off.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like it could be one of those games that has a surprisingly interesting setting despite itself. There is a strange charm about it for some weird reason. If the combat is fun and they manage to make an open world that has interesting stuff to do in it, I can see this being a game worth playing.

Biomutant Is PAX West's Sleeper Hit (Again)

SEATTLE – Biomutant is one of those games that came out of nowhere, but has already amassed a surprisingly dedicated fan following. This action/RPG follows a customizable animal protagonist in the distant postapocalypse, and its appealing mix of melee combat, gunplay and charming narration helps it stand out in a sea of similar open-world adventures.

I went hands-on with Biomutant at PAX West 2018, the first time I'd seen the game since I went hands-on with it at PAX West 2017. Whereas last year's demo showed off an early stage, introducing me to basic combat and crafting, this year's demo was a full mid-game mission, showing off Biomutant's fine balance of exploration, combat and platforming.

The first thing you do in Biomutant is create your own anthropomorphic animal avatar. I didn't want to spend too much of my 20-minute demo in the character creator, but everything I attempted turned out a little vulpine. However, I could customize a great deal about my warrior, from the texture of his fur, to the color of his mane. I couldn't resist making him blue and pink; not the most realistic color combination, but then again, Biomutant isn't the most realistic game.

After that, I jumped right into a mission. I had to traverse a swamp, which was full of both enemies and toxic gas that could slowly sap my health. Here, I had my reintroduction to the game's fluid, rhythmic combat. Using a combination of melee and ranged attacks, I took on small foot soldiers and larger ogre-like creatures. After getting enough blows in, I could activate a "wushu" mode, where my avatar would zip around the battlefield and carve through foes like a whirling dervish of destruction. So far, so good.

The first major addition I noticed was the platforming skills. In order to jump across large gaps, I had to cover myself in a huge bubble of mucus (gross, but effective), then use specialized platforms to launch myself high into the air.

(Here, I got a firsthand example of why the game is still in its alpha stage. During one such jump, my character went careening off into the sky, only to fall to an ignominious death in a pond. A developer remarked that another player earlier that morning had actually produced the entertaining glitch first, though, so I can claim no credit for it.)

Another feature that got much meatier this time around was the narration. Biomutant has a cheeky British narrator, who narrates both the story and your actions within the world. Hearing him compliment my combat prowess, my good karma (a morality system that gauges your decisions) and my enemies' strategies made the world feel a little less lonely, and a lot more entertaining. The narrator won't be an overbearing presence in the final game, but he definitely has a distinct personality and an important role to play.

Toward the climax of the mission, I found an abandoned mech suit, and claimed it for myself. This shook up combat considerably, replacing my rudimentary weapons with a machine gun and a rocket launcher. The suit came in handy when I squared off against an enormous, maggot-like creature known as a World Eater. In order to defeat it, I had to wear it down until its gigantic tongue lolled out, then stomp on the tongue for massive damage. Along with a fully destructible battlefield, it made for a memorable fight. A developer explained that there will be five World Eaters in the final game, and the one I fought would be, by far, the easiest of the bunch.

I'm not sure exactly what makes Biomutant so engrossing, but something about the mix of colorful graphics, tight combat and interesting environments has rubbed a lot of gamers the right way, if the long lines at the booth are any indication. The game will be out in summer 2019 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/biomutant-hands-on-pax-west,news-27959.html

Hands-on with BioMutant’s adorable — and deadly — critters

Melee combat highlights Experiment 101’s unusual adventure

There are many kid-appropriate games with furry woodland creatures. Then there’s BioMutant, a game about a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by scarred and angry, yet adorable, critters.

Developed by Experiment 101 (a studio owned by THQ and founded by former Avalanche Studios creative director Stefan Ljungqvist), BioMutant is an open-world action RPG that plays like a dream. It all begins with designing your BioMutant by finding a perfect balance of Strength, Agility, Intellect, Charisma, and Vitality.

Depending on the DNA cocktail you choose, your avatar’s appearance will change. Taller. Beefier. Longer ears. Each coordinate on the circular stat grid has its own ten-digit code. Unfortunately, that is strictly cosmetic (at least for now). There’s no way to share your DNA sequence with another player so they can try out your build.

You’re not locked in for the entire game at this point. You can spend skill points later to completely rewrite your BioMutant’s DNA and adapt to new situations.

There is no shortage of open-world action games, so BioMutant has a hill to climb to stand out. Experiment 101 hopes to succeed with slick combat. Ranged attacks appear weak (at least at the start) and offer little style. Melee combat, however, is a far more interesting proposition.

It feels great to slide through a large enemy’s legs and catch them unaware from behind with a devastating combo. During my demo, I got to try out combat with a sword and a power fist that can be charged for bonus damage. Each weapon has its own play style and a unique “super wushu” attack that can be charged over time. Firearms and melee armaments can be customized with different parts and add-ons to tailor play style, as well.

My demo started as I crash landed in a snowy region with extreme cold hazards. I could have just as easily started in a desert biome with extreme heat. The map layout would have been the same, but BioMutant serves up randomized hazards the first time you enter a dangerous zone. Gear can help mitigate the different conditions you’ll encounter.

“It mostly puts you on a timer,” Bolt says. “Some of them will be amplified by weather. We have a dynamic weather system.”

As engaging as the combat is, I was most intrigued by the story and setting. Experiment 101 isn’t revealing too much yet, and we may never know why the world is overrun with mutated forest creatures or if there were ever humanoid creatures in the game’s world.

“That’s not something we’re going to talk about,” says programmer Oliver Bolt. “It’s more about what’s going on right now. The backstory is a bit loose. We’re not defining anything.”

The PAX West demo did a solid job of selling BioMutant’s combat, but the most intriguing part of its promise has only been briefly touched on in demos. Mutations found throughout the world can be used as attacks or for traversal. Spitting moths out of your mouth might be good for distracting foes, but a giant mucus bubble makes it easy to cross gaps and get the bounce on enemies.

The demo concludes with a battle against a massive world eater, a gigantic beast with a chip on its shoulder. There are five of these monstrosities in the world, tied to the polluted oil rising up through the surface and killing the planet. Destroying each will heal a root of the Tree of Life, but it’s not necessary to kill all of them to complete the game. You can also decide to join up with the world eaters to usher in a new apocalypse.

The battle with the world eater takes place in a mech suit with live ammo (reminiscent of Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath’s unique weapon system). After a protracted, multi-stage fight, the battle concludes in the belly of the beast, fighting tides of bile as I tried to cut it apart from the inside.

While this could have been gruesome, Experiment 101 has maintained a lighter touch. The creatures are a delicate balance of cute and vicious, evoking the same kinds of feelings I had when I first played Ratchet & Clank.

There’s still clearly more work to be done on BioMutant, and the mutation system doesn’t seem to have fully coalesced yet. However, with the tight combat, engaging world, and intriguing randomized elements that will make each playthrough unique, this is certainly one to watch.

BioMutant will be out in 2019 for PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/2/17...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Biomutant is a Beautiful and Unique Game That Defies All Odds By Even Existing

Experiment 101's Biomutant was the very last game I got to play at PAX West this year, but it's the very first one I'm writing about now because I feel like I have to get the message out to more people that this game is shaping up to be fantastic, and a lot of that is owed to the simple fact that it exists in the first place.

www.trueachievements.com%2fcustomimages%2f085934.jpg

It's hard to nail down a genre for Biomutant, and that begins to explain what makes it so cool. In my 30 minutes with the game, I did a lot of melee and ranged combat a la Darksiders, though the movements were much more fluid and that's a difference that feels both very welcome and very appropriate as the protagonist is a short bipedal rodent of some kind. If you haven't yet seen much from Biomutant, think Master Splinter from Ninja Turtles, only shorter, faster, and occasionally steering a giant mech. Or maybe an Ewok, but cool.

There's so much going on in this game and somehow it's all coming together so smoothly. I'd been dying to play for a while now, and finally getting to go hands-on with it this past weekend, I didn't know if it could live up to my lofty expectations — but it did. So much about Biomutant makes it stick out as a miracle for even existing. For one, the hero is unlike any other video game star today. Most games of this sort give us gritty anti-heroes, wise-cracking sarcasm dispensers, or coming-of-age prodigies. Heroes like that in Biomutant aren't the stars of the show, they're the Rocket Raccoons, filling in with solid work while Chris Pratt looks handsome and sells copies. But in Biomutant, Rocket Raccoon is front and center.

To put a customizable and seemingly voiceless rodent in the main role of a new IP like this seems especially daring. They can't easily market the hero because it'll look different for everyone playing thanks to an extensive character customization suite. On top of that, what do they say this game is? It's an action game, sure, but not just that. It's got the platforming, the mech combat, the bosses, the exploration, the RPG elements, the comic book aesthetic. It's like Experiment 101 took their best-case dream scenario of a game and, as far as I can tell so far, got it to all come together and work fluidly. What I played was exceptionally fun and I'm now more excited than ever to see more of it.

I spoke to one of the developers and asked him specifically about this approach. How can a game like this exist, when it's so much all at once and none of it seems safe? He said his boss, referring to Stefan Ljungqvist (formerly of Avalanche), approaches all ideas with a "why not?" attitude. It's a real kitchen sink game, and remarkably it's working. Ljungqvist's previous work on Mad Max and the Just Cause series shines in the demo, as it loves a good explosive scene, like the studio builds the mayhem with a similar sense of glee that comes through in those previous games.

www.trueachievements.com%2fcustomimages%2f085933.jpg

Biomutant was recently pushed back to summer of next year, which seems like a smart window for it. That'll allow it to breath, away from the chaos of either next spring or the holiday season, settling into a sweet spot in between. With such a weird and wonderful world, it feels destined to be off the radar of too many leading up to release. But if the full game is as fun and unpredictable as what I played, it'll quickly make a name for itself soon thereafter.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n3...ue-game-that-defies-all-odds-by-even-existing

Don't sleep on the wild and weird action-RPG Biomutant

It's not out yet, I'm just giving you an early heads up

I can't really call Biomutant my biggest surprise of PAX because I once publicly said it "looks weird as hell and I'm really into it," and the Internet never forgets. But if it weren't for that article, it sure would be.

It's strange, risky, creative, original, and so many other things. I want to shower it with love. I want more games to be as out-there and unafraid as Biomutant. While I can't make any definitive claims about how the whole open-world action-RPG adventure will end up, I can say that it makes a great impression.

Experiment 101 brought a sort of "overview" demo to PAX that wasted no time showing me the highlights: a fluid third-person combat system not unlike Arkham Asylum but faster-paced; some cool abilities like a rocket fist and a mucus bubble for bouncing over gaps or rolling up enemies; a pilotable mech to traverse a toxic dying land; and a boss that ended with me getting swallowed and punching its innards, Yoshi's Island style. There wasn't a hint of open-world meandering. It was all riveting.

That said, I have to agree with Brett: there's a lot going on and it stands to reason that not all of it will come together in perfect harmony. But even if Biomutant is an uneven game, I'm all about it.

After my 20-minute demo, I spoke with gameplay programmer Oliver Bolt to better understand Biomutant. The gist is that it's a post-apocalyptic world, things are (relatively) okay, but they're starting to change for the worse. Oil is seeping up from the ground, contaminating everything in its path, and there's a Tree of Life with five roots that need saving and a world eater boss for each one.

"When you face them in the real game you're going to have a choice: either to ally with them or fight them," said Bolt. "You can either actively try to save the world from destruction or you can try to ensure that it gets destroyed." While he had to stay vague, he says the latter will "open up new possibilities."

The demo tried to squeeze everything in a short amount of time, but the full game is "taking a lot of cues from Breath of the Wild." It's "fully open world." Bolt also described Biomutant as having an RPG "backbone," noting that you gain level-ups, get attribute points, and abilities grow powerful through use. "The more you use them the stronger they get and the more things you can do with them."

I asked how long Biomutant has been in production and how it's changed since the original idea. There are so many elements crammed in. Bolt explained that they've "changed almost everything" since the initial idea, which was more Diablo-esque. Crafting is the oldest feature still in the game. Experiment 101 decided to redo the combat and this version has been in the works for around two years.

Lastly, I wondered about length and more specifically scope. I feel like Biomutant could successfully get away with a fairly long run time given everything I saw first-hand and everything I heard about RPG hooks. There will be six factions in the world with headquarters and outposts, and you can get them all aligned under one banner or help one conquer the others or even just kill everyone. The main quest is based on key characters you'll encounter but a lot more will go into the "final state" of the world, according to Bolt. With that in mind, he estimated a 10-hour minimum but said it should be a lot more.

There are plenty of unknowns when it comes to Biomutant, but I know one thing for sure: it's taking a ton of chances as a new IP and I hope everyone who says they miss the era of interesting mid-tier publishers will show support. At the very least, keep this on your radar. It's out next summer.

https://www.destructoid.com/don-t-sleep-on-the-wild-and-weird-action-rpg-biomutant-521342.phtml

1-Year Later Biomutant Looks and Plays So Much Better

Biomutant PAX West 2018 Preview

Last year at PAX West, THQ Nordic let us go hands-on with the opening portion of Biomutant, the upcoming open-world title set in the overgrown post-apocalypse with one heck of a unique protagonist. The demo showed us the basic gameplay mechanics, controls, crafting, and general exploration. This year THQ Nordic returned with an all-new demo to showcase the progress they had made and give players a closer look at some of the new features we hadn’t yet seen, and it only looks to be improving in leaps and bounds.

Setting aside the obvious graphical overhaul that makes the game somehow look even better than last year, my time with Biomutant began soaring through the air in a small airship, only to be shot down. Combat began immediately and it only took a few moments for the controls to come back to me. Perfectly timed dodges and jumps leading into some dual wielding gunfire is incredibly satisfying with the slow-mo cam, and shortly after the initial fight was done I discovered a rocket-powered gauntlet that was far too large for the little critter to wield properly, but he made do.

This replaced the sword as the main melee weapon and it was something we had yet to see in the demos prior. While close range, it not only offered a devastating impact but could be charged up for a massive rocket-fueled punch that could be used to destroy walls. The other new feature I got to see first hand was controlling a scraped together mech-suit used for a badass boss fight. I was able to select what kind of animal head I wanted on top as an odd but adorable decoration, but otherwise my little red panda/fox/raccoon creature was now in full control of a mech with an impressive arsenal of explosives, and the motivation to destroy anything and everything that moved.

I was happy to see Biomutant return with new content – this feels like a game that has the potential to be hugely successful – but I wish I could have seen just a little bit more. The areas to explore were fairly confined and linear in the demo despite being an open world game. I understand not wanting to showcase the world yet, however, the demo last year ended with a sprawling view of the world to come. We also weren’t given access to any of the previous powers to augment the combat so players who went hands-on with Biomutant for the first time this year were missing out on key aspects of the experience and a more simplified version of combat.

Biomutant has come a long way since last year, and unfortunately, it will still be a while yet before launch. While the controls haven’t changed much – if it all – the graphical overhaul was something I did not expect as the game already seemed polished and ready to launch back in 2017. Each individual blade of grass was incredibly detailed, the fur on my characters face looked soft yet rugged, and the rich saturated colors give it not only a lush, overgrown feeling but also reflects the chemical devastation that the world has been through; these aren’t the colors of a normal world, but a contaminated one and for once this kind of corruption has created a world that is beautiful, not sinister. This years demo was a great peek at what is to come and it left me wanting more in anticipation for its 2019 release.

Biomutant is set for launch on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. For more information, check out the game’s official website.

https://cogconnected.com/preview/biomutant-preview/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom