Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BioShock and Quicksaving AKA CyberP Returns

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I dont get why people hate on linear endgames, if anything you dont want your players fucking around in the supposed climax of the game.

They'd be okay if they were shorter.

Ash

Arcane
Arx fatalis is the more balanced game

Fireball spam? Harm spam? Heal spam?

...unless you mean balance in pacing or overall quality for each field of design. Perhaps.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Anyway, fun is more important than if the level design "makes sense as a livable space."
Now you are speaking like a true casual tard. In a survival horror environment being familiar and intuitive is extremely important, more so than gameplay itself. Also nonsensical level design is never "fun".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Demons are certainly horrific and it certainly is a struggle to survive on nightmare difficulty where enemies are far more numerous, faster, and can only be temporarily knocked out. :M

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doom isn't fun, you heard it here first.
Well, the Body is nonsensical AND not fun, that's the problem.

And no, there's platforming all throughout the game (though mostly as optional secrets, such as the shotgun stash in the dark, flooded room in med/sci 2), just in Rickenbacker it gets more frequent and challenging.
You understand what the word "optional" means, right?

RE: HL - yes, Half Life has some (too much) platforming even in the Earth based levels (fuck you, Waste Reclamation Plant), but large parts of Xen consist of solely platforming action, with some rather non intuitive goals to boot. Alien? Sure. Worthwhile? Hardly.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Demons are certainly horrific and it certainly is a struggle to survive on nightmare difficulty where enemies are far more numerous, faster, and can only be temporarily knocked out. :M
Doom is not a shooter but a survival horror game. You heard it here first.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Doom is not a shooter but a survival horror game. You heard it here first.
I'm not the first to joke about this. :)

Ash

Arcane
You understand what the word "optional" means, right?

Well it's optional so much as "I'm shit so I'm going to give up and walk away". Optional in gamer terms is usually try and try until you either succeed or walk away, because we are loot/exploration whores. We see a fire trap and assume there must be goodies behind it, where any real world human would stay the fuck away.

RE: HL - yes, Half Life has some (too much) platforming even in the Earth based levels (fuck you, Waste Reclamation Plant), but large parts of Xen consist of solely platforming action, with some rather non intuitive goals to boot. Alien? Sure. Worthwhile? Hardly.

Embrace it.

Ash

Arcane
^Lol.

Yes. There's far more art in SS2 than Bioshock. Judge the whole experience as art: the story, gameplay etc, not just the art direction.

Don't listen to Roguey, SS2 is great (perhaps less than SS1 though). The two games are better than Deus Ex nevertheless.

I still remember finishing Deus Ex and being floored by it and then starting SS2 ... I could not believe how good it was. At first I refused to acknowledge that SS2 is better but by the end of the game I had no choice. Good times.

Now hold on. SS2 is a more tightly-knit and realized experience, but Deus Ex was far more ambitious. I love them both equally, though if I had to choose with a gun to my head it'd probably be DX. It just has far more to give.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Ok, I'm going to try not to laugh and will see if you have a point, because as far as I remember it was same old, retarded vita chambers and all, with minor differences. I gave up half way through so I could be missing something. The only notable differences I remember was you get a drill and dual-wield plasmids, tower defense featuring little girls, as well as hacking being a different, almost as shit minigame as the previous. And I'm very critical of gameplay so I would have noticed good changes that make the Bioshock games not shit.

Nuclear Explosion

The gunplay was improved quite a bit. Even Bioshock 1 fanboys admit this. I have no idea how you didn't notice.

Ash

Arcane
How was the gunplay improved, in which respect/s?

Ash

Arcane
Indeed. One turd smelling slightly less unpleasant than the others is still a stinking turd.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ok, I'm going to try not to laugh and will see if you have a point, because as far as I remember it was same old, retarded vita chambers and all, with minor differences. I gave up half way through so I could be missing something. The only notable differences I remember was you get a drill and dual-wield plasmids, tower defense featuring little girls, as well as hacking being a different, almost as shit minigame as the previous. And I'm very critical of gameplay so I would have noticed good changes that make the Bioshock games not shit.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...games-shutting-down.89997/page-5#post-3122189

You sure are upset about vitachambers even though SS2 had them too. The only difference was that you had to activate 'em first. Until then you can just rely on good ol' quicksave/load (not that it's necessary, SS2 isn't particularly difficult given that you only fight one enemy at a time for most of it)

Ash

Arcane
You sure are upset about vitachambers even though SS2 had them too. The only difference was that you had to activate 'em first. Until then you can just rely on good ol' quicksave/load (not that it's necessary, SS2 isn't particularly difficult given that you only fight one enemy at a time for most of it)

Typical Roguey :roll:

-You have to find them and turn them on first. Placement is commonly ~half way through any given level.
-They are few and far between, typically one per level, and late game levels do not feature them at all.
-Nanite reduction based on difficulty level. Try playing on realistic.
-You respawn with 10% max health.
-Frequent enemy respawning plays into the system. Die, a number of the enemies will likely have come back too.
-As a result of their manual activation they are optional.

Now I'm not a huge fan of this resconstructor/quicksave combo, but anything is better than vita chambers, which is quite possibly the worst idea anyone has ever had, ever, with respect to gameplay.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
None of that particularly matters.

They're optional in the Bio games too. Though I kept them on anyway, because reloading from the game is way faster than loading from the menu. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad now that I have a SSD.

Ash

Arcane
They're optional in the Bio games too.

After a patch IIRC. A patch that is not available on all systems.

And no, it all matters. Everything matters, else you cannot into game design.

Ash

Arcane
If you pretend quickload functionality doesn't exist.

There's a difference. Quicksave/load resets the game state and the challenges with it, vita chambers do not: enemies retain health, so for example you can just keep chipping away at them with a wrench > die > wrench > die rinse and repeat.
Quicksave spamming also requires player input. Vita chambers always have your back.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's a difference. Quicksave/load resets the game state and the challenges with it, vita chambers do not: enemies retain health, so for example you can just keep chipping away at them with a wrench > die > wrench > die rinse and repeat.

SS2 doesn't even health sponge enemies that would warrant doing this, so using them is a net loss (you lose time, health, and possibly nanites rather than just time with a quickload), making it a trap feature for noobs, which is bad. If you're going to have an optional feature for scrubs who are bad at playing games, might as well do it the Bio way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom