Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BioShock: The Collection & Sequel Rumors

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._doors_from_BioShocks_lead_level_designer.php

A 'key' tip about keys and doors fromBioShock's lead level designer

How do you create satisfying problems for players to solve, and how do you design levels to make sure they know they solved it?

The answers to those questions might be obvious to some, but as former BioShock lead level designer Bill Gardner pointed out on our Twitch stream last Friday, it’s not always a question with obvious solutions.

While venturing with Gardner through Rapture in the early hours of BioShock, Gardner took a moment to explain some of the basic design philosophy behind compelling players to want to enter the medical pavilion, which contains the game’s first boss fight. As you can see in the clip above, Gardner worked to create a sequence of events both meant to introduce players to certain new gameplay mechanics (hacking and the tommy gun), and clearly communicate the cause-and-effect nature of their actions in the gameplay environment.

And according to Gardner, it turned out not to be a straightforward thing. “This is just a goofy little locked door, but I’ll see in shipped games all the time, and you enter a room and find a key, or a fire extinguisher, then you go down the hall and find a fire you’re supposed to put out,” Gardner explains. “You’d be surprised how many people have difficulty grasping that you have to make sure you’re pulling people towards the blockage before the solution.”

Gardner says sometimes this kind of level design comes naturally, such as when you’re blocking off a player’s pathway, but sometimes Gardner says you have to go for what seems to be thuddingly obvious in order to get players to understand everything that’s going on.

“Look how contrived this is,” Gardner says, pointing out the details of a security room containing a switch that opens a locked door. “It’s an island looking over the door. I think that’s the way you present these sort of things, you find a way to put things front and center. “

For more level design insights from Bill Gardner, be sure to watch our full conversation with him as we take on the first hour of the original BioShock.

Given how prevalent the omniscient quest compass is in the HUD with the default setting of "On" or "Please Play the Game For Me", I'm a little surprised they went so far out of their way to push teaching the player how to proceed. It's like teaching someone how to navigate a maze and then immediately giving them a GPS that leads them through with 100% accuracy.

That being said, I didn't actually feel like most of the spaces were any more or less contrived than the vast majority of video game levels. If anything, Bioshock's artistic style lent itself well to covering up any such oddities, as you could simply assume that any abnormality is a byproduct of the place's architectural style.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Bioshock 2 is the only one worth playing.

1 starts off alright but quickly becomes retarded. Infinite starts off retarded and only gets more retarded.

Is this serious, Bioshock 2 is actually decent? Never tried it, premise seemed gimicky.

I finished 1 and agree with most everyone else that it was OK but overstayed it's welcome; should've finished at the plot twist reveal with the protagonist actually killing himself. Everything from that point onwards was a huge bore.

I tried Infinite because I was told the story was incredible or what have you but I gave up because the gameplay was so freaking bad. The combat just lacked impact, I don't know how else to describe it.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Bioshock 2 is the only one worth playing.

1 starts off alright but quickly becomes retarded. Infinite starts off retarded and only gets more retarded.

Is this serious, Bioshock 2 is actually decent? Never tried it, premise seemed gimicky.
Gameplay-wise it's a definite step-up from Bioshock 1. Combat is no longer as clunky and awkward as it was there (primarily due to you being able to dual-wield plasmids), and it does successfully convey how powerful being a big daddy is. Story-wise, it's just a repeat of Bioshock 1 with collectivism instead of objectivism, with a few ham-fisted morality choice inserts strewn throughout, so it's no real stand-out there. I understand the story went through quite a few revisions before they finally settled on the final product, so this is somewhat understandable.

It's not brilliant, but it's hardly the hellspawn abomination that Ken Levine fanboys like to say it is. It's pretty much just a bog standard sequel; do the same as the original, but bigger.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
and it does successfully convey how powerful being a big daddy is.
It does? I remember dropping it pretty quickly, because the intro shows you doing some cool stuff like stomping on people's heads and then you don't get to do any of that and it felt exactly like Bio 1 - I played on the highest difficulty and every mutated lady was able to kill me in 2-3 hits which was absolutely retarded.

I can't quite figure out the key behind codex hivemind loving some console action games and hating others, but personally I thought 1 was ok. Some parts of it were obviously ridiculous, like for example the fact that apart from small variations you were fighting one enemy type through the entire game (another thing that Bio 2 didn't seem to do anything about). But the "System Shock's retarded little brother" vibe was enough to carry me through it.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
From what I read in this thread most people here seem to agree Bioshock 1 was good what it is (TM) but sucked balls past a certain point - which I absolutely agree with.

Don't get where you're seeing "hate" in this thread, this is about as high praise as you'll see for any average game here.

tormund

Arcane
I tried Infinite because I was told the story was incredible or what have you but I gave up because the gameplay was so freaking bad. The combat just lacked impact, I don't know how else to describe it.
It's really funny. You'd think that, with their removal of options and focus on cinematic FPS action, they'd also bother to make Infinite's gunplay fun and satisfying. But no, combat is just weak and unsatisfying, and becomes tedious really fast.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
From the comments:

yeah man a game using a tommy gun is a ripoff of some fucking fps that's got completely unrelated gameplay. ps: serious sam sucks

The level of intelligence of Biotards right here.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

https://blog.2k.com/news/would-you-kindly-celebrate-10-years-of-bioshock-with-us

Would You Kindly Celebrate 10 Years of BioShock With Us?

10 Years ago today, it started with a plane crash in the North Atlantic Ocean. A lighthouse. A man. A city under the sea.

In the decade since that first bathysphere ride 18 fathoms under the sea, your support has blown us away. From the stories you’ve shared to the fan art you’ve created to the insanely creative, intricate and detailed cosplay projects you concocted – your passion humbles us even now. For that alone, we owe the whole BioShock community our thanks.

So, as we celebrate 10 years of BioShock games, we want you to be a part of it. We’re kicking this off with a special BioShock 10th Anniversary Collector’s Edition for the fans, featuring a new iconic Big Daddy and Little Sister statue, and are hosting a 10-year anniversary party at PAX West where everyone is invited. From there, we’ll continue to celebrate throughout the year with you.

Here’s a quick rundown of what you can look forward to in the near future and a teaser of what’s to come.

PAX WEST BIOSHOCK CELEBRATION WITH IGN
Event: BioShock 10th Anniversary: Return to Rapture

Date: Saturday, Sept. 2 - 9:00 pm-12:00 am PT

Details: bioshock10.eventbrite.com

The best way to celebrate BioShock is with our fans – and we couldn’t think of a better place to start than with an awesome BioShockparty at PAX West – dubbed Return to Rapture – hosted with our friends at IGN.

Join us as we bring Rapture to life like never before, complete with Splicers, Big Daddies and Little Sisters, themed food and drinks worthy of Rapture’s finest hotspots, plus music from DJ Kristina Childs.

We’re also hosting the ultimate BioShock Cosplay Contest, complete with amazing prizes, so be sure to don your sharpest BioShock looks and ready your runway walk.

You don’t need a PAX ticket to attend – this massive fan celebration is open to the public, so whether you’re planning to attend the convention or just happen to be in the Seattle area, join us for what’s sure to be an unforgettable evening for anyone who loves BioShock.

To RSVP and for full details of the night’s festivities, head here.

BIOSHOCK 10TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTOR’S EDITION
Pre-order Date: Today

Release Date: 11/14 (US Only)

Availability: GameStop, 2K Store

For you hardcore fans, we’ve assembled the BioShock 10th Anniversary Collector’s Edition. Available for pre-order today, this special release is exclusive to GameStop and the 2K Store (US only) for Xbox One and PS4. Included in the box is a copy of BioShock: The Collection and a huge collectible Big Daddy and Little Sister statue.

The 11.9-inch high statue, modeled after the original game’s iconic box art, features a motorized drill and light-up components as well as Big Daddy and Little Sister audio clips from the game.

BIO10_Beauty_shot_statue_solo.png

BIOSHOCK: THE COLLECTION ANNIVERSARY SALE
Some people out there still haven’t played BioShock yet? Well, this is the perfect time to take your friends to Rapture – and Columbia. In honor of the 10-year celebration, we’re dropping the price of the recently released BioShock: The Collection. This remastered set for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One contains all the single player content, DLC, great behind-the-scenes BioShock Museum and a new documentary. To see where you can score this great sale price, would you kindly check here for full list of participating retailers?

FOLLOW OUR NEW BIOSHOCK YOUTUBE CHANNEL
CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE!

A new BioShock YouTube channel is here! Be sure to check it out for classic trailers, highlights of some of our favorite fan videos, cool DIY creations and more in the coming months. Subscribe now so you never miss a thing.

We couldn’t have gotten to where we are without you.

We hope to see you soon in Rapture, Columbia, online and in person.

Join our friends in the BioShock community now to share your favorite moments from the series and learn even more about what went into the series’ creation.

a teaser of what’s to come

more in the coming months

Okay...

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
IF there is another AAA Bioshock title in the works and that is what they are teasing, I do hope that they'll go back in the immersive sim direction rather than following Infinite's path. Given the franchise's continuing popularity, that would've been the boost the genre needs (after the disappointing sales of Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2 and Prey).

ciox

Liturgist
IF there is another AAA Bioshock title in the works and that is what they are teasing, I do hope that they'll go back in the immersive sim direction rather than following Infinite's path. Given the franchise's continuing popularity, that would've been the boost the genre needs (after the disappointing sales of Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2 and Prey).

The franchise's popularity hinges on the bioshock tattoo/cosplay crowd playing these games from start to finish without too much impediment, so no, it will not go in any kind of immersive sim direction if they have business in mind.

Even if they went in such a direction it would be a first for the series, and the only way it would happen is if they decide to backtrack to the original concept for the game that had more features and RPG elements (there is a 2-3% chance of this since they were throwing around remastered concept art of the early mutant monsters at some point, since the fanbase was that desperate for new content)

Btw my predictions for the setting are:
- underground, 1980s, in some kind of luxury U.S cold war bunkers after nuclear war (least likely, they'd need a good story/content instead of relying on a gimmicky world)
- 1800s magic town with even more magic and zaniness than Infinite, basically what Infinite was relative to Bioshock all over again and even further into the past (more likely)
- some kind of everything-goes mess a la Ready Player One with trans-dimensional travel and all the series' realities mixing together as suggested by the ending of Infinite with all the lighthouses, basically a torrent of shit (most likely)

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Eh, given the franchise's status and popularity, I think that devs would be allowed to make such risky moves.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

While we were in Boston filming our second documentary covering the Story of the Deep End Games and Perception, we took some extra time to speak with Bill Gardner about his time working on the Bioshock series.

The opening level to Bioshock is arguably one of the most iconic game openings of all-time, and we spent over half an hour speaking to Bill Gardner on how Irrational designed it.

ciox

Liturgist
The opening level to Bioshock is arguably one of the most iconic game openings of all-time, and we spent over half an hour speaking to Bill Gardner on how Irrational designed it.

What is there to explain, it was a decent sandbox with some replayability potential to begin with and then it was turned into a player funnel, with magic furniture barricades that dissasemble by themselves to let you advance after killing all the splicers.

This talk about the vita chambers around 30 minutes makes me wonder if I should make another effort to release my bioshock mod, it has some nice features like reviving costs a large amount of money but the engine is so mod-unfriendly that advanced mods basically rely on the player pressing a key at the start of the level or after a save reload, or using autohotkey scripts that can fail if loading takes too long and other dumb shit, it's a nightmare so I've just been sitting on it for over a year.

Ash

Arcane
Where do you find this shit Infini? Can't you trawl the deepest reaches in search of incline news instead? Who am I kidding there is little to none.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom