Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BioShock: The Collection & Sequel Rumors

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It continues:

Walty Warner

Barely Literate
I'm still disappointed Irrational didn't put out a map editor for this game like they did for SWAT 4.

Don Peste

Arcane
Has someone posted this already somewhere? It seems more clickbait than anything to me, but well. Have a nice weekend.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's coming https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-bioshock-game-is-reportedly-in-the-works-at-a-top-secret-2k-studio/

A new BioShock game is reportedly in the works at a 'top-secret' 2K studio
The new game is apparently in the early stages of development.

Buried within a lengthy Kotaku story on the current less-than-ideal state of things at Mafia 3 developer Hangar 13 is an interesting tidbit about another 2K game you may have heard of. The report says that a top-secret studio located "next door" to Hangar 13 is currently in the early stages of work on a brand-new BioShock game.

"Next door, a small group of people were working on a project code-named Parkside, quietly recruiting from across the video game industry for a game so secret, they wouldn’t even tell their colleagues at Hangar 13 about it," the report says. "Word got out, though, that it was in fact a new game in one of the most interesting shooter franchises of the past decade: BioShock."

The project is apparently still quite small. "They're trying to be really smart about figuring out what the core thing is," one person involved with the project said. "They’re careful about not falling into the same problem every studio has, where they have too many people and nothing for them to do."

Kotaku's report on Hangar 13 is interesting and well worth a read in its own right, and kind of sad too: Despite the problems with Mafia 3, it sounds like the studio was ready for bigger, better, and genuinely interesting things, but layoffs and a loss of leadership cost it much of that momentum. But it's the oddly-offhand mention of a new BioShock that's the real eye-opener. Not that it's surprising that 2K would return to one of its most visible and valuable series, of course, and it has been five years since BioShock Infinite came out. I guess I just expected a little more fanfare.

It'll be very interesting to see where BioShock goes next. The report doesn't indicate who's leading the game's development, but Ken Levine, the creative director on BioShock and BioShock Infinite, won't be involved: He pulled the plugon Irrational Games in 2014, and is now heading up a new, smaller studio called Ghost Story Games.

Wasn't Bioshock Infinite met with a collective "meh" by pretty much everyone outside of the media? I was under the impression the franchise was effectively dead.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Hmm where could Bioshock go next? The Moon? Or maybe a spaceship...

Did someone here on the Codex suggest the theme of a Victorian age idea of utopia but on the moon?

At this point Bioshock is just another franchise that has to be brought back every couple of years because "it is an iconic title on the gaming landscape" (he said sarcastically), the publisher preferring to rely on overplayed nostalgia a large portion of the gaming audience seems to go by.
Fortunate for them that a lot of gamers never grow wiser or more critical other than becoming more elaborate in defending what they perceive to be an untouchable gaming icon when someone questions them up on it with a well build argument.

Ash

Arcane
Wasn't Bioshock Infinite met with a collective "meh" by pretty much everyone outside of the media? I was under the impression the franchise was effectively dead.

Nope. Casuals by the truckload call Infinite a modern masterpiece. They do the same with the original too, and pretty much any modern high profile AAA game with a story more involved or better presented than Doom 3. Regardless of how godawful the gameplay (or story) actually is.

I believe it's related to why this video was made:

Last edited:

Big Wrangle

My hope would be that they would Raphael Colantonio somehow in the design since he's no longer at Arkane and he knew to make something that System Shock fans will see as a spiritual successor of sorts, aka BioShock's big fat lie. But the guy wants a break from game development in general, so I doubt it.

I liked the original, but I truly appreciated it only with silver bioshock mod 7.0 (that I suggest you to try)

why didn't you enjoy them ?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Holy fuck I hate casuals for appreciating that shit called bioshock

Fixed. The original is just as bad.
I know you don't like Bioshock 1 but this is an overstatement, Bioshock Infinite is much, much worse than the first game, I know it is something hard to understand how but there is no limit down on AAA land.

Ash

Arcane
Nope. Bioshock Infinite may be a Cod clone but at least it has very absolute game design fundamentals down: i.e there are consequences for death by design, unlike Bioshock. So while the original offers more freedom across the board, said freedom lacks weight since it all revolves around the need to not die. The game's choices are related to combat efficiency, survival utility (e.g hacking for better combat lootz, or drones to back you up in combat) and general strategy, but that shit barely matters when there's no consequences for death! Didn't you learn young playing Doom with god mode enabled that strategy and skill go out the window in any meaningful sense of the words?
In Bioshock Infinite, strategy and skill is relevant, pitiful as it may be. In the original, not committing to strategy, not improving your skills enough, all this means is you have to walk around the corner a few more times.
We're talking about absolute game design fundamentals here. The original fails miserably.

Ash

Arcane
That was a) only added via patch post-release (probably due to whining on forums). b) only for some platforms. It isn't an option for players of every platform nor players upon release. No player going in blind on their first playthrough that isn't a game design nut is going to understand that they should be disabled. Definitely not at first. It takes analysis to come to conclusion.

Game is a dumb System Shock 2 clone anyway, so no thanks. I just use this argument to explain why it is objectively bad in a very fundamental way. It fails game design 101.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
That was a) only added via patch post-release (probably due to whining on forums). b) only for some platforms. It isn't an option for players of every platform nor players upon release, nor is it the "official" intended way to play.

Game is a dumb System Shock 2 clone anyway, so no thanks. I just use this argument to explain why it is objectively bad.

Just reload/(delete save for ironman) if you die? Vita-chambers are a total non-issue.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Did I say I wanted to play Ironman? That's a niche self-imposed style of play and too masochistic for the 99% of players. Games are supposed to be designed to feature harmonious game rules, not the player having to make up hardcore as fuck self-imposed rules to counter the developer's incompetence.

Parabalus

Arcane
Did I say I wanted to play Ironman? That's a niche self-imposed style of play and too masochistic for the 99% of players. Games are supposed to be designed to feature harmonious game rules, not the player having to make up hardcore as fuck self-imposed rules to counter the developer's incompetence.

You don't have to play ironman to reload if you die? Reloading on death is the gaming standard. If you don't like the chambers (I didn't), just reload like you would if they weren't there.

I find whining about chambers funny, they are arguably better/harder than simply reloading since you lose money/stuff by respawning, instead of nothing by reloading.

Ash

Arcane
Again, self-imposed rules to counter poor game design. That's no an excuse. It's like saying hopscotch is a shit game because x, y and z and you retorting with "Well make up rules that actually makes it good then, duh!".

I find whining about chambers funny, they are arguably better/harder than simply reloading since you lose money/stuff by respawning, instead of nothing by reloading.

False. In the original Bioshock there are zero consequences for death.

Anyway, you too fail game design 101. Au revoir.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom