Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

And that is wrong why exactly?

Because this whole "i'm offended, boycott them!" is silly.

Look even if they made a good game, which they didn't. To not support something with your money is your right and if you believe, even for the most base of reasons, that you are willing to suffer whatever hardships you might incur from not using a product, if only to inflict a small financial penalty on the people who made it, because they insulted you or anyone you care about. It is not only your right, but your obligation to not support them, otherwise they continue in this practice and are emboldened by your lack of action and take greater liberties.

So it's not silly, just as it's not silly to boycott any business or product that does or openly represents anything you oppose and not only that actively resents your very existence.

Last edited:
The comedy was made as to provide something more lighthearted in comparison with the game's actual ending. I thought his was more well known?

So? That doesn't excuse it. It was just there for a feel good kids fantasy you had to pay money for to make the world seem a happy place and all the shit you did before was rendered without meaning for the overgrown kids who play this game... just like this...

Last edited:
I don't think there's any point in discussing it beyond that.
But this is the codex mang, what the fuck are we going to do if not discuss pointless crap?

I'm not saying to you don't discuss it I'm just saying I think it's pointless for me to discuss it.

The game and it's writing served it's purpose like a good A-Team episode, in comparison this game would be BA talking about how he's trans and fucking Murdock while he was trying to fix the car, While Commander Hannibal was running around trying to find ten niccorette patches to stop him smoking and the Biodrones asking for a DLC where they could buttfuck the Faceman.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It wasn't groundbreaking but it served it's purpose and there were some really memorable parts to the game because it was just old cliches from movies or books made manifest for a game audience, so you felt a part of that.

There is no point in saying that the writing in ME1 was good or original, but nor was it bad, as it was fit for it's purpose.

While I think this is accurate, I think it understates the achievement of the setting design/story. While ME was being made I was doing my preproduction work on Star Captain, and basically set out to read/watch/play every space opera thing out there so that I could capture the key qualities of such stories and signature moments. Then I played ME, and realized they'd done essentially exactly what I set out to do. Saying that it's "just old cliches" is a pejorative way of saying that they researched broadly and deeply in the genre and successfully distilled the cool parts of it. IMO Star Control II is the only other game that achieves something similar; even Starflight, which is very good, is not in Mass Effect's league IMO. (Obviously, ME borrowed a fair amount directly from the Star Control franchise, but I'm fairly sure that they also read a lot of other space opera.)

Frozen

Arcane
The comedy was made as to provide something more lighthearted in comparison with the game's actual ending. I thought his was more well known?

So? That doesn't excuse it. It was just there for a feel good kids fantasy you had to pay money for to make the world seem a happy place and all the shit you did before was rendered without meaning for the overgrown kids who play this game... just like this...

Some say that Labyrinth was psychological drama about a teen girl trying to cope with being raped by older man ( Bowie playing with his balls)

I miss those kind of 80s silly fantasy movies.

If they return it would blow superhero trash and make ton of $$$$

Lhynn

Arcane
While I think this is accurate, I think it understates the achievement of the setting design/story. While ME was being made I was doing my preproduction work on Star Captain, and basically set out to read/watch/play every space opera thing out there so that I could capture the key qualities of such stories and signature moments. Then I played ME, and realized they'd done essentially exactly what I set out to do. Saying that it's "just old cliches" is a pejorative way of saying that they researched broadly and deeply in the genre and successfully distilled the cool parts of it. IMO Star Control II is the only other game that achieves something similar; even Starflight, which is very good, is not in Mass Effect's league IMO. (Obviously, ME borrowed a fair amount directly from the Star Control franchise, but I'm fairly sure that they also read a lot of other space opera.)
Yup, quality game there. Not a classic but they did a very good job with it, they did their research and brought some new and interesting elements into the table.

no, definitely not.
i played citadel without knowing anything in advance and i found it pretty detatched from everything else, it was clear it was something stupid just for laughs. niggas please, don't make me defend me3, we all know we don't want to.

It wasn't groundbreaking but it served it's purpose and there were some really memorable parts to the game because it was just old cliches from movies or books made manifest for a game audience, so you felt a part of that.

There is no point in saying that the writing in ME1 was good or original, but nor was it bad, as it was fit for it's purpose.

I'll make my point clearer then. As I wasn't being critical of the the first game, what I meant was it distilled all the elements of action/ sci fi films into a core concentrated basic formula that allowed the game as an interactive branching story to flower. Was it original or truly well written?...Was it fuck, but it did it's job and served it's purpose and to do that in a medium like a video game over 30-40 hours, while allowing the players choices and the collar grabbing excitement of being a space Indiana Jones was in itself an achievement. So to me, I thought it was well written for what it was. As I said before you wouldn't want Beckett or Joyce to write this stuff, as all they would bother about is spending 40 hours on the Elcors slow journey around the citadel meeting characters, drinking booze and looking for a shop to buy earth cigarettes while reflecting upon the futility of existence.

Last edited:

no, definitely not.
i played citadel without knowing anything in advance and i found it pretty detatched from everything else, it was clear it was something stupid just for laughs. niggas please, don't make me defend me3, we all know we don't want to.

Go on then tell us why citadel was good...

Just for laughs stuff destroys the integrity of the original in everyones eyes, that's why people made spoof films to parody the stone po-faced originals, Monty Pytons Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstien, Spaceballs, Airplane, Police Squad, Hot Shots, Austin Powers. If you start to parody yourself for shits and giggles, then where the fuck does that leave you?

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yes, SEO is a thing. It is also a thing that google can mark a site as 'fake news' or 'illegal content' or any number of other subjective tags to increase/lower its search ranking without actually making a special exemption in the algorithm. The efforts of big business to influence the last election cycle are well-documented, and not exactly new. To think that they would only intervene every 4 years is beyond naive.
Read my posts. I agreed with him that it was possible, but he has no proof of it.

Document everything, note that it's a bit odd, sure. But don't start screaming censorship until you've got something real to go on because it could all turn out to be nothing, make you look like a moron and be further used to pigeonhole people who complain about corporate conspiracies as tinfoil hat wearing idiots.

Case and point, claiming that google has a secret pay-to-play backdoor program (which they very well could have for big enough or well-connected enough companies), but using your friend receiving telemarketing calls that every business owner receives as proof. Not to be to unkind to the dude, but that's laughable.

Padzi

Arbiter
It seems we all had incorrect information about the Hanar. Or maybe I'm missing something? Since when Hanar float?
I think they are going mad. First they turned Salarians into Drell giving Kallo absolute memory and now they are turning Hanar into Gasbags animals from Eden Prime.

The writers seem to have misinterpreted what Hanar were doing in the past. They were using Mass Effect fields to lower their own body mass so their muscles would allow them to walk. Just like Blasto was walking in Citadel DLC. But screw it, they all float now.

vaV7aTq.jpg

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think it would be super interesting to explore this newly hinted at lore with regards to Asari gender. I'd love to hear a male identified Asari talk about how he came to the realization he was male, and what that means for him to be male in a species without sexual dimorphism. Would he still be perfectly comfortable in his body? Would meeting and interacting with bi-gendered aliens have changed his view of himself? Would he develop body dysphoria if he lived among (and became envious of the bodies of) human men?

How fucked-up do you have to be to imagine that aliens with no gender would want to have one? When I found out about the life cycle of moss I didn't have some internal struggle over whether I identified as a gametophyte or a sporophyte.

Out of everything I've seen from ME:A, the male asari bullshit is what turned me off the most. It shows that the developers are not interested in science fiction. They're not going to ask "what if there was an alien and it was different from us?" They make all these species of aliens with different colored tentacles coming out of their heads, but all of their thoughts and motivations are the same as you'd find in a hipster in a coffee shop in Montreal.

no, definitely not.

Just for laughs stuff destroys the integrity of the original in everyones eyes, that's why people made spoof films to parody the stone po-faced originals, Monty Pytons Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstien, Spaceballs, Airplane, Police Squad, Hot Shots, Austin Powers. If you start to parody yourself for shits and giggles, then where the fuck does that leave you?

because it was exactly like a spaceballs inside star wars.
and it was genuinely funny.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
problem is, citadel dlc is COMEDY, pure comedy, just comedy, nothing else but comedy, it's made to make fun of me3 itself, and it manages to be better than everything else me3 as a whole has to offer.

Nah brah, it was tolerable as a distraction DLC. Comedy it was not. It was a bunch of set pieces and forced situations - Bioware does not know comedy.

Ah no.

It's tone deaf and self indulgent and ruins your overall perception of the series if it's made by the same developer, as it's now cannon.

Besides Bioware cannot into comedy, all they make is cringe, valley girl, sub-par, pre-adolescent Buffy schlock.

:mrpresident:
Very bad comedy hombres at Bioware

gestalt11

Arbiter

I agree that the initial setting stuff is pretty good, but the acutal work/main body in ME1 is mostly just decent. Its fine for what it is and provides a godo body for the game, but its nothign amazing. Star control 2 is, IMO, much better. The Orz are fucking awesome, so much better than anything in ME1.

no, definitely not.

So you agree with me then ... Where I would think that would undermine the tone of the series, you seem to enjoy that levity... Anyway horses for courses and all that and as you still buy their games and DLC it's only fair to you and in Biowares best interests to offer that to their customers.

EDIT...Though I highly doubt any of the Citidel DLC was in any way funny other than cringeworthy. Now that's just my opinion if you have any clips from it that prove me wrong I'd be happy to watch.

Last edited:

Freddie

Savant

Very well put. I recall Casey Hudson writing somewhere that he got some influences from Starflight, which was like one his favourite games back in the day, but I also think that Star Control II is very obvious influence.

What we had in the end of this distilling, the result I thought was what I was hoping from sci-fi and games, something more interesting than two big franchises, Star Trek and Star Wars. I have my own memories from both and obviously both have their following, but for me they started presenting what's wrong with sci-fi, immaturity, perversion and stagnation, long time ago (well, Rogue One might be worth a watch).
ME was alternative, cool things without package of "it must be like this because it's Star XXXX" or whatever. So it was odd mix where despite of it's familiar aspects, it still managed to feel fresh. Then what happened to franchise, that's other discussion.

Yes, SEO is a thing. It is also a thing that google can mark a site as 'fake news' or 'illegal content' or any number of other subjective tags to increase/lower its search ranking without actually making a special exemption in the algorithm. The efforts of big business to influence the last election cycle are well-documented, and not exactly new. To think that they would only intervene every 4 years is beyond naive.
Read my posts. I agreed with him that it was possible, but he has no proof of it.

Document everything, note that it's a bit odd, sure. But don't start screaming censorship until you've got something real to go on because it could all turn out to be nothing, make you look like a moron and be further used to pigeonhole people who complain about corporate conspiracies as tinfoil hat wearing idiots.

Case and point, claiming that google has a secret pay-to-play backdoor program (which they very well could have for big enough or well-connected enough companies), but using your friend receiving telemarketing calls that every business owner receives as proof. Not to be to unkind to the dude, but that's laughable.

I really don't want to get into this anymore but you are being a dumb cunt and attacking me and my friends.

My friend was not called he was visited by someone representing themselves as google offering to do the look inside tour of his building for money. They had all the google tags and gear, they were offering a google service that google provides and they offered to bump him up the listings for more money. Now I don't know that for sure because I heard it from one of my best friends and it's just his word, but i don't dispute his word. Because as I have stated before I have seen with my own eyes and worked in companies that are some third parties operating for some of the biggest companies in the world and they break the laws in Finance. Now to think a global firm like google wouldn't do that is just naive.

So now you call me laughable as well as a tin foil hatter and illegitimate, sorry I'm not going to accept that. Google changed their search, that happened. I don't need documentation to prove it to you, I'm not an undercover agent, I just noticed it and made an off hand comment and you expect me to provide court worthy evidence on the internet because you're butthurt you're beloved company is a fucking sham is laughable, everyone but you seems to know they rig their searches. Like I said I would have taken a screenshot as proof, if I expected such a sudden change. But the change was so suddenly unexpected which made it so notable.

As I said I don't give a damn what you believe but it happens all the time. Now I have been very tolerant to you in pretending to bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, but you honestly sound like a brainwashed shill who has no knowledge of computing other than working on hoovering servers inside a company office.

Oh it cant happen that's not legal!... Grow the fuck up Lambchop.

I've been happy to let this go and even let you misrepresent me but you are just posting such garbage now it needs to be checked. And I am right Google does rig searches for money and politics, it doesn't matter if you say they can't, they do.

I don't expect you to apologise now, but please do the moment you realise you were wrong.

Last edited:

Freddie

Savant

I really don't want to get into this anymore but you are being a dumb cunt and attacking me and my friends.

My friend was not called he was visited by someone representing themselves as google offering to do the look inside tour of his building for money. They had all the google tags and gear, they were offering a google service that google provides and they offered to bump him up the listings for more money. Now I don't know that for sure because I heard it from one of my best friends and it's just his word, but i don't dispute his word. Because as I have stated before I have seen with my own eyes and worked in companies that are some third parties operating for some of the biggest in the world and they break the laws in Finance. Now to think a global firm like google wouldn't do that is just naive.

So now you call me laughable as well as a tin foil hatter and illegitimate, sorry I'm not going to accept that. Google changed their search, that happened. I don't need documentation to prove it to you, I'm not an undercover agent, I just noticed it and made an off hand comment and you expect me to provide court worthy evidence on the internet because you're butthurt you're beloved company is a fucking sham is laughable, everyone but you seems to know they rig their searches. Like I said I would have taken a screenshot as proof, if I expected such a sudden change. But the change was so suddenly unexpected which made it so notable to me.

As I said I don't give a damn what you believe but it happens all the time. Now I have been very tolerant to you in pretending to bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, but you honestly sound like a brainwashed shill who has no knowledge of anything other than working on hoovering servers inside a company office.

I've been happy to let this go and even let you misrepresent me but you are just posting such garbage now it needs to be checked. And I am right Google does rig searches for money and politics, it doesn't matter if you say they can't, they do.

I don't expect you to apologise now, but please do the moment you realise you were wrong.
Sorry but, how come Wikileaks or something doesn't have anything about this?

Mozg

Arcane
Star control 2 is, IMO, much better. The Orz are fucking awesome, so much better than anything in ME1.

SC2 (and Starflight, although it's much more subdued) is a much sillier universe that also manages to intersect a lot more interesting sci-fi ideas and sensations and dips into weird earnest seriousness sometimes to great effect. A lot more Hitchhiker's Guide than Star Trek. I can't imagine a big corporate studio making anything like it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

My friend was not called he was visited by someone representing themselves as google offering to do the look inside tour of his building for money. They had all the google tags and gear, they were offering a google service that google provides and they offered to bump him up the listings for more money. Now I don't know that for sure because I heard it from one of my best friends and it's just his word, but i don't dispute his word. Because as I have stated before I have seen with my own eyes and worked in companies that are some third parties operating for some of the biggest in the world and they break the laws in Finance. Now to think a global firm like google wouldn't do that is just naive.

So now you call me laughable as well as a tin foil hatter and illegitimate, sorry I'm not going to accept that. Google changed their search, that happened. I don't need documentation to prove it to you, I'm not an undercover agent, I just noticed it and made an off hand comment and you expect me to provide court worthy evidence on the internet because you're butthurt you're beloved company is a fucking sham is laughable, everyone but you seems to know they rig their searches. Like I said I would have taken a screenshot as proof, if I expected such a sudden change. But the change was so suddenly unexpected which made it so notable.

As I said I don't give a damn what you believe but it happens all the time. Now I have been very tolerant to you in pretending to bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, but you honestly sound like a brainwashed shill who has no knowledge of anything other than working on hoovering servers inside a company office.

Would you or your friend be interested in one of these fine bridges I am selling?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom