Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Padzi

Arbiter
I think a more interesting choice would be a trilogy featuring the discovery of the ruins in Mars, the relay at the edge of the solar system, the subsequent exploration, first contact war and integration into citadel space.

In my opinion this would be the best choise for a sequel/prequel. You don't even need to invent some new weird plot like they had to with Prospermeda. The basis of everything is in the game's codex and it deeply rooted in the established lore. Every half-decent writer could hande this. But I don't think there is enough material for making a trilogy out of this. Although one game taking place during the First Contact War would be a great idea. (When they annouced ME4 I hoped it would be set during this time period).

---

And they are still trying to revive Andromeda's corpse. Too little, too late:

Though I am intrigued by what are they planning to add. And what is his favourite change.
You know for science to better understand a developer's mind.
:bounce:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Andromeda as a setting was a terrible choice. Fans wanted more of the conflicts and species in the milky way.

The safest bet would have been a prequel series, but they went for a soft reboot, then got fucked over for it.
Weren't all the Mass Relays destroyed after the battle for Earth against the Reapers? I don't think a proper space opera adventure could occur after Mass Effect 3. Unless it was centered around The Milky Way Galaxy and the different races finding homes in the galaxy and in some way terraforming other nearby planets to inhabit. Of course, that wouldn't make for much of a space game imo, but it would make for a good RPG with the different factions vying for control in the galaxy as well as control for Earth, and how the human inhabitants would react to the new refugees caused by the end of the war and the reaper invasion, as well as the immediate after effects of the battles.

Tytus

Arcane
Andromeda as a setting was a terrible choice. Fans wanted more of the conflicts and species in the milky way.

The safest bet would have been a prequel series, but they went for a soft reboot, then got fucked over for it.
Weren't all the Mass Relays destroyed after the battle for Earth against the Reapers? I don't think a proper space opera adventure could occur after Mass Effect 3. Unless it was centered around The Milky Way Galaxy and the different races finding homes in the galaxy and in some way terraforming other nearby planets to inhabit. Of course, that wouldn't make for much of a space game imo, but it would make for a good RPG with the different factions vying for control in the galaxy as well as control for Earth, and how the human inhabitants would react to the new refugees caused by the end of the war and the reaper invasion, as well as the immediate after effects of the battles.

They were destroyed in the original ending. But when THE EXTENDED REAL FOR SURE THIME TIME ENDING WE SWEAR ON ME MUMS ENDING tm, came out the relays were only damaged and it's possible to repair them as one of the epilogues states. Later we even see Samara being on Thessia again with her daughter etc. So yeah they fixed it.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Is it still a thing that you can only play as a nigger or did they fixed it?
A mod came out that allows you to choose a white skin pigment, but Bioware hasnt so far as I know. I think your dad is still brown though, so mom must have played around with the milkman when he was away.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

They were destroyed in the original ending. But when THE EXTENDED REAL FOR SURE THIME TIME ENDING WE SWEAR ON ME MUMS ENDING tm, came out the relays were only damaged and it's possible to repair them as one of the epilogues states. Later we even see Samara being on Thessia again with her daughter etc. So yeah they fixed it.
Oh, that's stupid. They removed a large part of the consequences the war cost. A trilogy is definitely viable. I wonder why they didnt try to make a sequel in universe?

Padzi

Arbiter
Destroying the relays was a stupid idea anyway. It was there just to add pointless drama. Just like Normandy crash landing on that unnamed planet.
If they would be forced to say there (extended cut shows them flying off the planet) Garrus and Tali would just die of starvation, or the entire rest of the crew would go insane of hunger if the planet's biosphere was dextroamino acid based.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Destroying the relays was a stupid idea anyway. It was there just to add pointless drama. Just like Normandy crash landing on that unnamed planet.
If they would be forced to say there (extended cut shows them flying off the planet) Garrus and Tali would just die of starvation, or the entire rest of the crew would go insane of hunger if the planet's biosphere was dextroamino acid based.
I prefer it that way. It added additional cost to the war. It was also a way to securely finish the series as there was no longer any way to travel between galaxies. Of course, this was before the terrible mistake that was Andromeda. Nonetheless, the retcon does allow them to continue in the original Mass Effect setting, so it makes no sense to start a new trilogy based on lore breaking circumstances that should be impossible, i'm probably giving Bioware too much credit to assume if they were deadset on another trilogy that they would have the talent or drive to deal with the consequences of the last war and the variances between each players shepards decisions.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't understand. They sold 3mill$ units in 2 weeks and production costs were 40mill$. Witcher3 sold 3mill$ till now and production costs were 81mill$ (http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-cost-81-million-to-make/) . So, ME:A has better sales.

The claim MEA cost only 40mil is hard to believe. Given that the marketing budget for AAA games is usually a few dozen million it's downright comical to think the entire MEA budget was only 40 milion. If you compare it to games dveloped by similarly numerous teams, in a similar time it's usually around 100 million PLUS marketing (another maybe 30 - 40 million). My estimate is they blew way over 100 mil on this game.

P.S. - btw I haven't been able to find the source of the 40mil claim, when you type "XY game budget" usually some sources pop out, not here. God knows where it came from.

Last edited:

RepHope

Savant
I don't understand. They sold 3mill$ units in 2 weeks and production costs were 40mill$. Witcher3 sold 3mill$ till now and production costs were 81mill$ (http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-cost-81-million-to-make/) . So, ME:A has better sales.
Witcher 3 got 2 huge expansion DLCs and ME:A won't get any.
Fans deserve an expansion DLC for Andromeda.
What the fuck are you talking about? W3 sold only 3 million are you retarded?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vg...r-25m-copies-since-the-franchise-started/amp/
The Witcher series is at 25 million copies sold.
W3 sold over a million more than MEA in its first two weeks https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/3914342/witcher-3-sales/?source=dam
W1 and W2 were sitting around 6 million combined back in 2013 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-25-cd-projekt-red-announces-6-million-the-witcher-sales
And last concrete sales for W3 said it was sitting at 10 million http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-has-sold-near-to-10-million-copies-worldwide/

So we've got W1 and 2 sitting at 6 million and W3 sitting at 10 million. The combined sales eventually reached 25 million. I'm going to take a guess and say that W1 and 2 sold 4 million more since 2013 and W3 only sold 5 million more. That means W3 has sold like 15 fucking million. How the fuck did you get 3 million until now?

Des

Educated
So 3-3,5 million copies sold.

It's already at 50% off.

Citation fucking needed. Stop repeating this bullshit that was thrown a month or so back. ME3 had 40-50 mln budget and that game was in production for about 2 years. We don't know what was the budget for Andromeda. The facts are that it was being made for 5 years and (if I remember correctly) it had a bigger dev team. I would be surprised if the budget was "only" 40 mln.

It's pretty much stated from EA'a own figures it's sold 2.5 million max, it was heavily discounted after 4 days and the EA gross game sales stated earlier was $110million on sales before accounting for any costs. As EA stated at their board meeting the physical/ digital sales are still 60%>/<30% so the net sales figures are lucky to be even half the $110 million.

That means that the $40 million figure (which is a dumb low estimate unless all its work was outsourced to Zimbabwe) plus marketing makes this game a loss.

Now don't take my word for it. EA closed the studio and have cancelled all work on DLC and put this "Blockbuster franchise," on hiatus.

RepHope

Savant
Mass Effect has never been an IP that moved as many copies as anything Bethesda has ever done. ME3, the best selling ME, sold 6 million. http://www.itechpost.com/articles/8...sales-expected-hit-3-million-copies-first.htm
Compare that shit with what Bethesda manages to do or W3 managed to do, and it's no shocker EA pulled the plug. If I'm EA I don't give a fuck about anything but money. So why am I wasting my time with this? I could be making so much more money in other ways, like with a Destiny clone, which what a coincidence is Bioware's next project.

Probably also their last chance.

The truth is they were expecting Andromeda to sell at least the same amount of copies as ME2 did over it life span so around 4.5 - 5mln. But EA was hoping that this time Andromeda will move 5 mil for full price. And yet the game is already on sale, there is a huge drop off and it seems they only managed to sell the same amount of copies as ME1 did (while the game probably had a much higher budget being 5 years in production with a larger team).

3.5 sounds great on paper - but not to EA - because they are faced with reality that it underperformed.

Reboot when?

That figure is pure bollocks as is the sold 2.5million copies I will honestly bet my left nut this game hasn't sold 2.5million and it won't sell 3 million. As it sold worse than Horizon, Ghostlands and another game in it's opening weeks and has since vanished off the charts, while GTA 5 is still number 3 or 4 MEA was lower than that after the third week and now doesn't even figure in the top ten, while Wildlands is still up there.

Didn't want to call you retard without a reply Witcher cost $46 million plus marketing which made it up to $81 million, MEA only has banded around the $40 million as dev costs, which is laughable for a 5 year project by a Canadian studio, THEN you have to add on the marketing costs.
Also MEA hasn't sold 3 million copies nor will it ever even on discount. That's why EA shut the studio down and they don't brag about the figures in tweets like CDpRed.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

W3 sold like 6 million in the first month and a half alone... 10 by the end of 2015 and probably more by now (haven't kept up).
It was a major success especially given it's budget and who made it. ME can't compete with that.

Lhynn

Arcane
It's pretty much stated from EA'a own figures it's sold 2.5 million max, it was heavily discounted after 4 days and the EA gross game sales stated earlier was $110million on sales before accounting for any costs. As EA stated at their board meeting the physical/ digital sales are still 60%>/<30% so the net sales figures are lucky to be even half the $110 million.

That means that the $40 million figure (which is a dumb low estimate unless all its work was outsourced to Zimbabwe) plus marketing makes this game a loss.

Now don't take my word for it. EA closed the studio and have cancelled all work on DLC and put this "Blockbuster franchise," on hiatus.
Making a game at cost, at that level is a net loss, no matter how you look at it. The same money, time and resources could have been invested on something that actually sold well, and that figures in their losses as well.
Hopefully EA just burns bioware to the ground after their next fiasco.

Making a game at cost, at that level is a net loss, no matter how you look at it. The same money, time and resources could have been invested on something that actually sold well, and that figures in their losses as well.

i posted earlier that EA likes the MP element so that is why they gave this abortion time and room. They figured they could start selling it as a yearly MP update of a beloved franchise with a few tweaks. As they'll do with Battlefront and their sports games. EA reduced ME to popamole for a reason.

Bioware have killed this now so EA has pulled the plug on DLC, MP and everything and canned the franchise they were trying to sell as a backup to Star Wars.

After this there is no other fiasco. EA were wrong here as they didn't know how shit the game was, they even allowed the loonies to show how bad it was and have memes wrecking it before it hit the shelves. EA no doubt right now have total oversight over Biowares next abortion.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

i posted earlier that EA likes the MP element so that is why they gave this abortion time and room. They figured they could start selling it as a yearly MP update of a beloved franchise with a few tweaks. As they'll do with Battlefront and their sports games. EA reduced ME to popamole for a reason.

Bioware have killed this now so EA has pulled the plug on DLC, MP and everything and canned the franchise they were trying to sell as a backup to Star Wars.

After this there is no other fiasco. EA were wrong here as they didn't know how shit the game was, they even allowed the loonies to show how bad it was and have memes wrecking it before it hit the shelves. EA no doubt right now have total oversight over Biowares next abortion.
Never played Mass Effect before, and I didn't even know the new game was already released. I just looked up the memes after reading your post, and they are fucking hilarious.

6b5.png

147.jpg

Will the Bioware threads still stay in the RPG subforum, when EA uses whats left of the studio to make goal celebration cutscenes for FIFA?

Padzi

Arbiter
I prefer it that way. It added additional cost to the war. It was also a way to securely finish the series as there was no longer any way to travel between galaxies. Of course, this was before the terrible mistake that was Andromeda. Nonetheless, the retcon does allow them to continue in the original Mass Effect setting, so it makes no sense to start a new trilogy based on lore breaking circumstances that should be impossible, i'm probably giving Bioware too much credit to assume if they were deadset on another trilogy that they would have the talent or drive to deal with the consequences of the last war and the variances between each players shepards decisions.

Well, continuation of ME trilogy is impossible even with the relays being fixed. Mac Walters and Casey Hudson made sure of that creating an ending so bad the setting fell apart. During Synthesis ending everyone have the knowledge of everyone else and the reaperized monsters became self-aware. With control you would have a 10 minute quest where you would talk to Machine God Shepard-Reaper with Bioware flawless dialogue that would go something like this:
- Are you commander Shepard?
- I was him/her.
- How can I be sure you are telling the truth?
- You must believe in me.
- Ohhh! :retarded:

And destroy is destroy. The galaxy would look pretty much the same minus the Geth (and potentially the Quarians).

They would never create 3 differemt settings for a fourth game. And they didn't wamt to pick a canon ending. So here we are. The task was too much for the writers so they had to resort to the retarded Andromeda solution to make their own lives "easier".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom