Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Oh, I see. I thought maybe their endings patch might have added something usable to make canon, or they might go for some form of Deus Ex Machina like Daggerfall did with every ending becoming canon.
Bioware really should have left the Mass Effect story to rest rather than try to continue on, especially with how horribly messy the continuation would be like you said. I wonder why they didn't just lay the
series to rest and create a new IP to replace it?

decaf

Learned
The best thing Bioware could do is reboot ME3.

Bioware: "Nope, ME3 and MEA totes didn't happen. Here's the game you goys have been waiting for all this time!" :dealwithit:

Won't happen tho.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Mass Effect has never been an IP that moved as many copies as anything Bethesda has ever done. ME3, the best selling ME, sold 6 million. http://www.itechpost.com/articles/8...sales-expected-hit-3-million-copies-first.htm
Compare that shit with what Bethesda manages to do or W3 managed to do, and it's no shocker EA pulled the plug. If I'm EA I don't give a fuck about anything but money. So why am I wasting my time with this? I could be making so much more money in other ways, like with a Destiny clone, which what a coincidence is Bioware's next project.

Probably also their last chance.
You think it's that easy to make money off video games? For EA it's really only FIFA, Madden and Battlefield that consistently bring in top dollar. That's why they've been pushing both ME and Dragon Age, to try to build a new super-franchise they can milk. After this Andromeda mess Mass Effect is done for, but they don't have any surefire slam-dunk to spend resources on instead.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I wonder why they didn't just lay the series to rest and create a new IP to replace it?

It's not just a series; it is also a brand, with the resultant brand recognition and reputation. Creating a new IP is also a lot of work, especially if you want to create something that is commercially successful.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...omeda-fans-excited-at-new-hint-of-quarian-dlc

Mass Effect Andromeda fans excited by new hint at quarian DLC

Mass Effect fans were left excited by a fresh tease that Andromeda's missing quarian race is still coming to the game.

Quarians do not appear in Andromeda, but it is established during the game's opening hours that the race is expected in the future (via a delayed ark, the Keelah Si'yah, which will also host the elcor, hanar, drell, and volus).

The appearance of this ark is hinted at repeatedly. (We won't spoil anything from later in the game here, but our Mass Effect Andromeda ending analysis has much more on this topic.)

And now, via the latest multiplayer APEX briefing, we've got another big hint.

For those not following Andromeda's semi-regular multiplayer events, these missions include small lumps of new story following investigations into the kett and Remnant enemies.

The latest mission involves a Remnant observatory, which has collected transmission data from what sounds like the quarian ark:
  • ANALYSIS: "...trying to boost the signal. Unknown if... tech seems to be helping even if we don't know the... back to Keelah Si'yah. ...way home."
But there's no knowing yet whether this tease will materialise into something more - quarian ark single-player DLC, as fans hope, or playable quarians in the game's multiplayer mode, or just a loose thread left hanging.

The timing is also interesting - coming after the recent news of the franchise being put "on ice". BioWare has pledged it will continue patching Andromeda's campaign and providing support for the game's multiplayer - but has stayed ominously silent on the matter of single-player additions.

Previous Mass Effect and Dragon Age games have all received around three lumps of extra story content - but the news of Mass Effect's future seemed sadly final.

Was this hint planned before the series was placed on hold? Or has the game's quarian plotline been relegated to its multiplayer mode? Right now, fans simply have no way of knowing.

We've asked publisher EA for clarification on whether Mass Effect Andromeda single-player DLC is still on the way.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Would be glorious if the Quarian DLC was multiplayer only and consisted of quarian player models, weapons and other shit. The butthurt...
The multiplayer people are probably EA's last hope for extracting money out of that disaster though, so who knows. I bet they already had a lot of the DLC stuff finished though and just hacked it off the main game anyway.

RepHope

Savant
Mass Effect has never been an IP that moved as many copies as anything Bethesda has ever done. ME3, the best selling ME, sold 6 million. http://www.itechpost.com/articles/8...sales-expected-hit-3-million-copies-first.htm
Compare that shit with what Bethesda manages to do or W3 managed to do, and it's no shocker EA pulled the plug. If I'm EA I don't give a fuck about anything but money. So why am I wasting my time with this? I could be making so much more money in other ways, like with a Destiny clone, which what a coincidence is Bioware's next project.

Probably also their last chance.
You think it's that easy to make money off video games? For EA it's really only FIFA, Madden and Battlefield that consistently bring in top dollar. That's why they've been pushing both ME and Dragon Age, to try to build a new super-franchise they can milk. After this Andromeda mess Mass Effect is done for, but they don't have any surefire slam-dunk to spend resources on instead.
Oh but they do. They've got Star Wars remember? Even with the complete shit EA Battlefront they sold a decent amount. If Bioware were to shit out a Star Wars RPG of the same "quality" as Andromeda, I've no doubts it would sell, and sell well at that.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I wonder why they didn't just lay the series to rest and create a new IP to replace it?

It's not just a series; it is also a brand, with the resultant brand recognition and reputation. Creating a new IP is also a lot of work, especially if you want to create something that is commercially successful.
Bah. I hate triple A studios, none of them want to take risks or innovate anymore.
If Bioware were smart, they would have added the humans, salarians, krogans and Turians as DLC, and made the Quarians, volus, and hanar the original races. They wouldn't have had to worry about facial animations then. Could have got that extra diversity points for allowing people to play as a space Gypsy too.

Freddie

Savant
Would be glorious if the Quarian DLC was multiplayer only and consisted of quarian player models, weapons and other shit. The butthurt...
The multiplayer people are probably EA's last hope for extracting money out of that disaster though, so who knows. I bet they already had a lot of the DLC stuff finished though and just hacked it off the main game anyway.
I guess that is pretty much all the hope for SP DLC there is. I could see they have incentive to release it if it ties to MP (and unlockables).

Oh but they do. They've got Star Wars remember? Even with the complete shit EA Battlefront they sold a decent amount. If Bioware were to shit out a Star Wars RPG of the same "quality" as Andromeda, I've no doubts it would sell, and sell well at that.
Not their own IP, they need to pay for Disney for the licence. There are also other aspects why this isn't good for EA/BW.

Vorark

Erudite
What is it about Quarian DLC? Tali-sweat worshippers would approve and buy it in droves.

Voilà, Andromeda saved by the power of sweat!

:negative:
:shittydog:

pippin

is that one of those "the dlc only changes one line in the code" tricks bioware already has done in the past?

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
is that one of those "the dlc only changes one line in the code" tricks bioware already has done in the past?
Didn't they do that shit with the last Prothean? Who looked nothing like the Prothean statues implied their race would generally look like.

Tytus

Arcane
ifI5J47.jpg

Apparently you can buy Andromeda for 3 bucks at Wallmart :P

mastroego

Arcane
Holy shit.
I suppose they're not trying to protect the brand anymore, just to reduce losses as much as possible.

Still 3$ too much, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom