Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Desert - Korean MMO - Tent cities, conservating clothing, Oh my

Lhynn

Arcane
Buy to play, alpha soon.
Makes sense, tho over there its totally free to play. buy to play here will at least guarantee some of the worst forms of p2w will be kept out.

Lhynn

Arcane
buy to play here will at least guarantee some of the worst forms of p2w will be kept out.

famouslastwords.png
Well, it seems they are going full on with this, they are blocking regions like theres no tomorrow, NA version can only be played in NA, which is odd. Us SA assholes will be getting our own version of the game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.blackdesertonline.com/events/ccm/

You can download the character creator and make your perfect waifu (or husbando).
If anything it has an impressive amount of sliders.

emma-watson-1280x720-black-desert-online.jpg

:d1p:

Stokowski

Arcane
buy to play here will at least guarantee some of the worst forms of p2w will be kept out.

famouslastwords.png
Well, it seems they are going full on with this, they are blocking regions like theres no tomorrow, NA version can only be played in NA, which is odd. Us SA assholes will be getting our own version of the game.
There appears to be some flexibility with the NA territories, but yeah, SA still shit out of luck.

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/786-territory-of-service-updated-13112015/

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This was a good decision..
Koreans are experts at making F2P MMO's and I think if there's anything a Free to Play MMO should know it's that BR's / Russians are toxic enough to kill almost any thriving community..
If you can't keep out BR's with a price tag higher than 4 dollars, region lock them instead.

Buy to play, alpha soon.
Makes sense, tho over there its totally free to play. buy to play here will at least guarantee some of the worst forms of p2w will be kept out.

A ton of Koreans are complaining on their boards that this game has become total P2W and they are getting sick of it. Food for thought.

Lhynn

Arcane
A ton of Koreans are complaining on their boards that this game has become total P2W and they are getting sick of it. Food for thought.
This is very unfortunate, hopefully they understand that p2w elements may fly in the east somehow, but in the west it will kill their game.

Drakron

Arcane
This is very unfortunate, hopefully they understand that p2w elements may fly in the east somehow, but in the west it will kill their game.

Well I believe that is because in Korea its F2P as in the west is B2P, I think they have the same mechanic as labor of Archage in Korea but that was removed from the western version.

I suppose paywalls for their NK faming grindstyle would be viewed as P2W, I suppose it really depends on whats going to be in the cash shop, regardless there will be differences.

damager

Arbiter
Anyone interested in trying this out? I got a source of beta keys, you just got to invest 30 minutes to get your key.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Anyone interested in trying this out? I got a source of beta keys, you just got to invest 30 minutes to get your key.

I want to try it honestly.. my girlfriend is korean and we both were curious to see how it shakes out before investing $$$.
If you have a spare key I'll take one, we can both share it.

damager

Arbiter
Okay here is what you got to do.

http://www.mmorpgitalia.it/forums/general-english.2692/

username: BDBK (black desert beta key)
password: BDBK22

It is my account, you can have it. Spam around 30 messages in the english forum. Grind 250 forum credits. Get your key. Hit me up if you need any additional help. You might as well grind another key for your girlfriend while you are at it. There are still over 300 left. Should be easy to get one. When I started there were 450 left and that was several hours ago.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

damager

Arbiter
Okay I checked this out. Art style is really sweet. Problem is, it is a action game. Every class feels like playing fuckin Devil May Cry. Don't think their is any classical tactical party play in this game. Shame. I guess new generation just can't into proper RPG's.

The quests I played contained of 50% go talk to this NPC and 50% kill 5 of this Monster. Plus the stupid mini cutszenes when attempting a NPC were just annoying. Who wants this shit in an MMORPG. 99% of the userbase will skip it. Better use the time to design something fun.

Game is a fail. But who wouldn't have guessed it.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/bl...desert-online-reveals-outrageous-store-prices

Black Desert Online Reveals Outrageous Store Prices
Black Desert Online has today revealed its in-game store prices for cosmetic and vanity items and boy are they expensive.

Black Desert Online opens its doors today for its Closed Beta 2 and with it, Pearl Abyss/Daum have revealed their pricing structure for the in-game store. Unsurprisingly many players have been anticipating what the costumes, vanity items and storage would cost and it has to be said, they’ve come as a shock to many.

Having originally launched in Korea as a free to play title, Black Desert Online’s creators set out to ensure that the game had no pay-to-win elements within its store. So far so good and with the exception of mini-pets being particularly useful, the store looks fairly well done. Unfortunately for those wanting to make purchases, it looks like they’re going to have fairly deep pockets.

Black Desert Online uses a currency system known as Pearls and these roughly equate to $1 for 100 Pearls (see the full table below).

Exchange Rate

EUR/USD -> DaumCash -> Pearls
EUR/USD
DaumCash Pearls
10.00 EUR/USD 1,000 1,000
20.00 EUR/USD 2,000 2,040
30.00 EUR/USD 3,000 3,200
60.00 EUR/USD 6,000 6,600
100.00 EUR/USD 10,000 11,500

At first glance the exchange rate doesn’t look too bad (even though Europeans get shafted yet again - go taxes!) but it’s the physical cost of items that's so alarming. One costume, including a matching weapon, is a whopping $32. Yes, you read that right: $32 for a costume that’s bind on equip. Even mini-pets aren’t particularly cheap coming in at $9 and $11 and worse still, the purchasable dyes aren’t account bound meaning if you do get a dye you like, you’ll have to pray to the RNG Gods that you get enough to dye all your armor, not just one piece.

Costume1.png

Is this costume really worth $32?

I have to say that I’m fairly disappointed because it looked as though Pearl Abyss/ Daum was doing everything right and while these prices aren’t necessarily final, one truly hopes that they reconsider. Sure there will be people who try to justify the price with the usual “It means less people will look the same” or “I’ve tons of money these prices are fine” but that’s largely besides the point. You don’t have to be rich or fashion conscious to realize these prices are ridiculous, especially when the game can be purchased for $29.99. That’s all of Black Desert Online for less than one costume.

From my perspective, $15 or Euros is more than enough for a costume and $5 for a mini-pet. Encouraging purchases by everyone is, in the long run, a sensible option and would undoubtedly allow Daum to earn more income based on impulse purchases. But when you’re asking for over $30, that results in players saving for longer (thus resulting in fewer sales) or simply avoiding a purchase all together because it isn’t seen as good value.

As the nearest comparison, Guild Wars 2’s costumes tend to cost 800 Gems and that by today’s conversion rate is $10. Best of all, you purchase them once and you can equip them on any character that can utilize the same armor class (unless it’s an Outfit, at which point anyone can wear them).

One can only hope that Daum change their minds: they’ve only one chance to get the launch right and as we all know, massively multiplayer gamers aren’t particularly forgiving.

Martius

Liturgist
Problem is, it is a action game. Every class feels like playing fuckin Devil May Cry.
That sounds great if its really true. Too bad I couldnt get any beta key, so far any "action mmorpg" was pretty much just disappointment in terms of combat for me.

Angthoron

Arcane
Kinguin has Beta 2 keys for 70 cents, but that's just a 4-window slot and 2 days have already passed. Still, they'll prolly have Beta 3 and so forth, so if you won't get a free key for those and are really interested, you could probably grab one there for next to nothing.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Seems like the prices are the same as in the Russian version, hilarious.

Problem is, it is a action game.
No. It's you who is a problem.

He got a point,number crunching is going the way of the dodo with MMOs just like with RPGs.There is no more builds,stats,big items variety now it's DPS and mashing LMB next step is cover and poping moles.If that is what you like fair enough ,but not all people want everything to be action console button mashers.

Just look at that:

k1VBxUS.png
vs
waningbound.png

Martius

Liturgist
Because as we know all action games are just button mashers... There is probably more to combat mechanics like in good action games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom