Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Desert - Korean MMO - Tent cities, conservating clothing, Oh my

when is this going to become any good? because for now i experienced one of the worst, messiest, most confused combo tutorial+interface ever. even blade & soul pisses all over this.

Whiran

Magister
when is this going to become any good? because for now i experienced one of the worst, messiest, most confused combo tutorial+interface ever. even blade & soul pisses all over this.
The game won't change significantly from what is there.

i'm seriously puzzled.
i wonder about a brand new tester who put his hands on this for the first time and said "this works well, i understand everything and controls are tight".

Lhynn

Arcane
Once you get comboing down its rather easy. There are lots of hidden combos that will change the animation and improve the effect of movements. The combat in this game is really indepth for an ARPG, seriously doubt boobs and souls can offer better.
But only few classes are into combos, i suggest you play a wizard if you like it slow and easy.

A video of GvG from a (extremely geared) fighter, youll notice he uses few movements (mostly due to the fact that most warrior skills are complete shit, other classes have a bigger viable skillset).

Drakron

Arcane
Oh I forgot about this ...

Setting is alright, couple kingdoms were at war, one won, the other is declining but the old rulers are trying to make a come back (using the power of darkness it seems). The winners are at war in several fronts with demi humans, tho i have no clue if its because the humans expanded too much or because the demi humans are a bunch of assholes. maybe a bit of both.

Nope.

The recent history is that Serendia had two places were they were mining Black Stones, one being Keplan and the other Serendia swamps and the only other country with Black Stones was Valancia that outlawed trading them after a little long war were everyone piled on them but failed (I guess being in a desert have advantages) so ...

Calpheon invaded Serendia to take control over their Black Stones mining and after that Calpheon tried to invade Valancia again and failed again ... this is why there is now a Calpheon Council and not a Calpheon King since people got fed up with him and he had a drinking accident.

Now Jordine hates Calpheon because of the invasion, when you say demihumans are attacking Calpheon its because someone is pulling their strings as its not something Calpheon had a problem with before but were very recent events.

Of course there is more then that ...

boobs & soul can offer bouncing boobs, and that would be enough already as a selling point. also its combat is fast, heavy on combo, blocks and counters and every command you need is very well laid out. i could find everything i need in a matter of minutes.
black desert is just a mess, visually, as ui and as controls with command that often barely make sense.

Lhynn

Arcane
Oh I forgot about this ...

Setting is alright, couple kingdoms were at war, one won, the other is declining but the old rulers are trying to make a come back (using the power of darkness it seems). The winners are at war in several fronts with demi humans, tho i have no clue if its because the humans expanded too much or because the demi humans are a bunch of assholes. maybe a bit of both.

Nope.

The recent history is that Serendia had two places were they were mining Black Stones, one being Keplan and the other Serendia swamps and the only other country with Black Stones was Valancia that outlawed trading them after a little long war were everyone piled on them but failed (I guess being in a desert have advantages) so ...

Calpheon invaded Serendia to take control over their Black Stones mining and after that Calpheon tried to invade Valancia again and failed again ... this is why there is now a Calpheon Council and not a Calpheon King since people got fed up with him and he had a drinking accident.

Now Jordine hates Calpheon because of the invasion, when you say demihumans are attacking Calpheon its because someone is pulling their strings as its not something Calpheon had a problem with before but were very recent events.

Of course there is more then that ...
Eh, as i said, its alright, gives context to all your mindless killing.

Lhynn

Arcane
Black spirit is kind of cool, what i want to know is that if the crossroad quests have any impact on the game or the character beyond the reward.

Also playing as warrior and its really shitty, worst class in the game.

Drakron

Arcane
Valk just have better sustainability but Warrior was one of the initial classes, you going to switch to Blader when it comes out?

I am kinda really pissed off since someone managed to lure a catfish that killed my horse when I was killing catfish ... the only saving grace of that when I checked the market there was a T1 mare relative cheap so I am going to breed them so at least I get another T3, I am not sure how breeding works as I think if I do that I will get a T4 anyway.

Lhynn

Arcane
Warrior is just complete ass, low damage, cc in a game where cc no longer works, extremely poor mobility to the sides, damage to their big skill nerfed to kingdom come, secondary damage skill is also spirit rage skill so you cant actually manage that resource, you spend it as soon as you have it, extremely small range in a game where every other class has great small range mobility, block gets melted in pvp in a matter of 2-3 seconds. Its just one of those unplayable messes.

Yeah im rerolling to blader, or wizard, at least till warrior awakening hits.

My impact with the game has been so terrible I'm literally afraid to start it again. A real shame, I'm always intrigued by sandbox with a new twist on crafting.

Drakron

Arcane
Well my breeding was mostly successful, got a T4 male out of the deal (T1 mare + T3) since I wasnt going to level them to 30 (takes way too fucking long on higher tiers) but when I made horse exchange since the T1 was useless ... T3 mare.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Well my breeding was mostly successful, got a T4 male out of the deal (T1 mare + T3) since I wasnt going to level them to 30 (takes way too fucking long on higher tiers) but when I made horse exchange since the T1 was useless ... T3 mare.
This isn't the Star Stable thread.

Lhynn

Arcane
Actually it has a fairly indepth horse breeding system. Indepth enough that you can literally just play that and skip the rest of the game once you get to like level 50, which takes like 15-20 hours of gameplay if done right.

Drakron

Arcane

I consulted a breeding calculator, I leveled my T1 to lv 19 (T4 was already at 16) so I had the best chances at T4 horses, I had a 35% chance of a male and a 25% of a female (rest was T3 chances).

Breeding isnt that easy because you want to shoot to a higher tier so you have to level the horses, tiers and levels matter and so are deaths, leveling high tier horses is a real pain since you cannot just Trent->Altinova->Trent since they take more XP to level, my Tier 4 could even do a leg without taking a rest period (carrot or stable) at lv 1 due to lack of stamina, and this is a T4 horse ... there are T8 in Korea so I cannot even imagine the hours to train a T6 to 30 so they have shoot at T8 over there.

Reason I am happy with a T3 mare (would be happier with a T4) is because of fucking rare they are, I was lucky as fuck getting a T1 mare with breeding chance on my server when I did, most of the times you dont even see one at all.

If you want to hear about RNG luck ... Witch's Earrings, got 2 of them in the same night within 10 minutes.

Whiran

Magister
Reason I am happy with a T3 mare (would be happier with a T4) is because of fucking rare they are, I was lucky as fuck getting a T1 mare with breeding chance on my server when I did, most of the times you dont even see one at all.
I have two t3 mares on my trial account.

I didn't bother getting the full game 'cause of how horse breeding was handled. The amount of.... secrecy about the whole horse breeding thing annoyed me. :p

Did they ever reveal what the top tier of horse is on the NA/EU servers? Is it T5 as I suspect or can you go higher?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
T7, currently. Should be pretty similar to this korean list actually.

gKRE1V8.jpg

Apparently what kind/color of horse you will get is not random but actually depends on what type the bred horses were. Haven't found a chart detailling the process yet though. Thankfully my T4 actually looks good, friend of mine got the sickly greenish born-next-to-a-nuclear-plant horse.

Drakron

Arcane
I didn't bother getting the full game 'cause of how horse breeding was handled. The amount of.... secrecy about the whole horse breeding thing annoyed me. :p

I dont think there is much secret since the game been out for a while now, maybe not in NA/EU but mechanics will be roughly the same.

The big screw you is the mare/stallion ratio and how mares can only breed once, you just end up with a lot of stallions you cannot breed because good luck getting a mare and I quite sure breeding resets being sold in the store have nothing to do with that., granted there is the exchange that is pretty much a last breeding attempt nut as it stands, you pretty much using 1 stallion and 1 mare to get 2 horses, there are apparently thresholds (this is why I gone for T1 lv19 + T3 lv16) so you can always tier up, problem is still the same ... the lopsided stallion ratio coupled by mares only having 1 breeding attempt.

Norfleet

I had a 35% chance of a male and a 25% of a female
Okay, I have to ask. How do these chances not add up to 100%? What exactly happens 40% of the time? You get a horse that is neither male nor female? Or is this even higher because the chances overlap due to the existence of hermaphrodite horses?

Stokowski

Arcane
Endgame is "to be patched later". The Western release has had the 'Mediah' expansion added (new lands, etc) and the 'Valencia' expansion is due later in the year. As far as I am aware, there's no firm date for it.

Currently endgame consists of attempting to grind out experience beyond the soft levelcap in the face of EQ1-esque rates of XP 'gain', combined with XP loss from getting ganked in the forced non-consensual open-world PvP. Kewl!

But that's OK! You can buy cash-shop items to remove XP loss!

Other than that, there's enchanting your gear to it's max level, which is RNG based, and leads to durability damage to the item, which can only be undone by farming replacement copies of your gear to use as repair fodder.

But that's OK! You can buy cash-shop items to recover item durability!

You could also play the vanity game and seek to customize you character's very limited appearance options by dyeing gear. Alas, dyes are one-character, one-use items that aren't available in-game, but from the cash-shop! To be fair though, you could also use 'Loyalty Points' to purchase dyes. Loyalty Points are the trash currency you get for logging in and advancing your character in various ways. On the other hand, the random dye boxes are mislabeled to the point of fraud. The "Blue Dye Box", from which one can gain either 1 or 3 random dyes depending on class of box, draws from preset palette of 16 dyes, only 6 of which are blue! Gotta keep suckers spending more money to get the dyes they want!

What else? Well, there's fighting the same few 'scroll bosses' (relatively easy) over and over, and trying the occasional 'world boss' (insanely difficult). In both cases the chances of getting good loot is infinitesimal. But that good loot is regarded as so much better than ordinary loot, people are hooked, even if the only sensible way to engage a world boss is naked, so the 1-hit kill mechanics don't damage your gear and lead to escalating repair bills. Great design.

There's yet another piece of RNG roulette to be played with high-level skills. You can, once a day, choose to "Awaken" a skill, which gives it an added effect. Most added effects are crap. Some are almost game-breakingly good. You can trash a bad awakening and try again tomorrow, but doing so requires an item which drops only rarely from bosses.

But that's OK! You can buy cash-shop items to reset your crappy Awakened skill!

It's odd that such a promising title should be so bent-over-a-barrel and fucked by its own devs and Western publisher all for the sake of a quick cash-grab. One begins to seriously wonder if BDO isn't just the tool of some elaborate fraud or tax write-off scheme, and so needs to fail as quickly as possible for the investors to maximize their return.

Doktor Best

Arcane
There have been so many "wow killers" in recent gaming history, and yet all the time shareholders think its a good idea to put rapists in charge of gamedesign. I dont get it, its not even a question of morality. They have witnessed all those games crush and burn to death one after another. This shit does not pay out, do they not learn?

Why is it so fucking hard to put some endgame in your game and charge your customers in a fair and reasonable way?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom