Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards 2

Lots of people mean "combat-focused" when they say "action". That's pretty retarded, but what can you do.

The decline of language causes so much damage.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You knew it was going to be shit when in one of the first interviews on BG2 that they thought a lot of the feedback from BG1 is unnecessary and not applicable to BG2.

Systems explanation, increased tactical feedback and animation speed settings were dismissed as unnecessary and irrelevant because "its gon be awesome".

This needs to be handled with prejudice. Yes I will buy it, so when they are told that they completely fucked up a good thing they at least have funds to go back to the drawing board. Lessons learned hard are sometimes the only way.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The prophet is never welcome in his homeland.

You will rue the day you refused to listen to me, unbelievers.
Are you allowed to stream the press preview thing? I suspect some people must be shown to understand.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Are you allowed to stream the press preview thing?

Actually, that's a good question. I think I should be allowed since I can show screens of it.

And there was no 'DIS IS SUPAHSIKRIT DONT SHOW' clause in the original message supplied with the beta key either.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you allowed to stream the press preview thing?

Actually, that's a good question. I think I should be allowed since I can show screens of it.

And there was no 'DIS IS SUPAHSIKRIT DONT SHOW' clause in the original message supplied with the beta key either.

The Softpedia review has a 15 minute video. Not quite the same thing as streaming, but...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Darth Roxor :troll: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/11/blackguards-pc-game/

I didn’t get along with Blackguards, Daedalic’s Dark Eye universe strategy RPG. On paper, it sounded like it might be a cup of tea that was almost entirely up my street but I found the early battles a slog. Too often, I’d see my party smashed to bits and have to replay until I found the ‘correct’ method for a particular fight.

Despite that, I’ve been mildly interested in the sequel, partly because there’s a dearth of these kind of tactical combat RPGs on the PC, and partly because Blackguards felt like it might be a couple of steps from greatness. Or at least goodness. I haven’t paid sufficient attention to post any videos before now, which makes this a perfect place to plant both of the ‘New Features’ videos that have been released.

The big change is a strategic map and dynamic campaigning rather than the linear plod of the original. Slavers are attacking settlements and you’ll use heroes and mercenaries to fight back, reclaiming territory and defending areas that you’ve claimed. Maps can switch control several times during a campaign, which should go some way toward eliminating the irritation of repeated failure. Anything that opens the game up a little and allows me to experiment with characters, skills and equipment is a good thing. The original felt like it had given me an enormous banquet and then passed me a teaspoon to eat it with.

The strategic map might be the carving knife I needed all along.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, FWIW I really don't have any gripes whatsoever with the conquest mode structure, and he seems to be talking about this mostly. Ofc there's also the "I’d see my party smashed to bits" and stuff, but y'know. And since he's talking about "shitty" early battles of the first game, he's obviously not played the first ones of the sequel, so he's only basing this blurb on the preview vids.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: I'm starting to think we might disagree on this one Rox... :M

dunno why. just a tinkling sensation, like i have to pee but not really

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, FWIW I really don't have any gripes whatsoever with the conquest mode structure, and he seems to be talking about these mostly. Ofc there's also the "I’d see my party smashed to bits" and stuff, but y'know. And since he's talking about "shitty" early battles of the first game, he's obviously not played the first ones of the sequel, so he's only basing this blurb on the preview vids.

(I was attempting to make a reference to your response to RPS's preview of the first game: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ble-on-steam-early-access.88423/#post-3005922

So it'll be funny if they hate BG1 but like this.)

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Liked the first one, not enough to finish it though(got kinda boring after chapter 3).

Don't know what to think of this.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Excuse me if I missed it, but as far as I can tell this hasn't been posted yet:
All the indie-ish German game devs with name recognition united on a Youtube channel to show off each other's games and comment on them - thus in German only, of course.

Beginning of Blackguards 2 prologue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZWk_4EEzRE
Beginning of its main (map) campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk8FPw1SiJk
More to come. Apparently every two weeks.

I like some of the comments, particularly Daedalic using less bloom this time and the whole room criticising BioWare for having become too enarmoured with the shiny surfaces Frostbite can do, but gawd, how they justified the "totally-not-casualization" once again (and again and again). I mean, seriously? For starters, the attribute system is probably the best part of the TDE ruleset, and they just drop it completely? I'll buy it anyway because of lack of competition, but... argh. At least it got endurance, overwatch and a handy line-of-sight tool now and is supposedly (according to the second vid) at least a bit longer than the first.

And I'm still waiting for a Sadja-only follow-up to Memoria that provides nice closure for her story...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Omfg, i thought you were kidding about 'no base stats'. I thought 'surely that means no derived stats from multiple base stats'.

Wow. i don't even, how is this supposed ...

Someone crucify the designers

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Game still seemed worth playing to me, but definitely not a day one purchase , something for 50% off or so.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Omfg, i thought you were kidding about 'no base stats'. I thought 'surely that means no derived stats from multiple base stats'.

That was exactly what I was thinking before as well. 'Surely this is just x being removed not everything!'

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think (and i thought i'd never say this) it's fair not to call this game a rpg anymore. This is more of a wargame now, even Lone Wolf gamebooks have a chargen with base stats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom