Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Kem0sabe

Arcane

https://af.gog.com/game/blackguards_special_edition?as=1649904300
blackguards-header.jpg

Daedalic Announces Blackguards, Its First Turn-Based RPG

Bolstered by the success of their celebrated adventure games, the developers at Daedalic Entertainment are now off to new frontiers. This summer, Blackguards, the studio's first turn based RPG will be released.

Framed in a significantly darker story than you usually find in Daedalic games, the player will walk in the boots of a convicted murderer as he travels through Aventuria's wild south. On this journey the protagonist is accompanied by companions of varying loyalty: scoundrels and thieves like the half-elf Niam (and her latent drug addiction) or the lecherous wizard Zurbaran.

Blackguards features hordes of lethal creatures and other enemies waiting to be taken care of on more than 170 unique battlemaps. A number of major and minor quests ensure exciting and diverse gameplay through the campaign.

As can be expected in all Daedalic titles, Blackguards focuses on strong storytelling, now combined with action-packed gameplay and tactical, turn-based combat. Blackguards delivers more than 40 hours of adventure in Aventuria.
Blackguards will be available internationally in Q3 2013.

About the Game

What happens when the only hope of a threatened world lies not with heroes in shining armor but in the hands of a band of misfits and criminals? Blackguards – the new turn-based RPG by Daedalic Entertainment – explores this very question. The player takes on the role of a convicted murderer, who with the help of a team of more-than-questionable characters, must save the world from a dark menace. During the wild chase throughout the South of Aventuria, the world of The Dark Eye, there is more to fight than vicious creatures – chapter by chapter, a story full of intrigue and surprising twists unfolds. But when life and death are in the player’s hands, how far will they go to reach their goals?
The first turn-based RPG by Daedalic Entertainment unites the studio's high standard of a suspenseful storytelling and unique characters with gripping battles in elaborately crafted 3D-environments. In taxing campaigns the player takes part in a dark story full of doubt, betrayal and loss.

Whether the player chooses to go into battle as a mighty warrior, a clever wizard or a skillful hunter, the first battle isn’t far away. Over 170 individually crafted battle maps full of interactive objects and strategically complex situations lead the player to exotic locations and put them through deadly trials.

Interview @ RiotPixels

Excerpt:

Riot Pixels: How long Daedalic has been working on this project?
Florian Pett: This April it’s been two years.

RP: What is the story of Blackguards? And who are these Blackguards, anyway?

FP: The story of Blackguards is basically that of a circle of childhood friends who get separated after one of them, the main character of the game, is accused of murdering one of their friends.

The Blackguards are a fellowship of rogues and outlaws, joining the main character on their way through the world. Everyone is hiding something and they aren’t of the confiding type either, but they are the only friends the main character still has in this dangerous world. The protagonist is in search for the real murderer but on this journey struggle and setbacks will be a constant companion in a story written by death and betrayal.

Preview @ PCGamer

Excerpt:

Daedalic is known for adventure games—the kind where you point at things and click on them—so the announcement of a tactical, turn-based RPG was a surprise. Blackguards does share a couple things with, say, the Deponia series: it also involves pointing and clicking on things, and like Daedalic’s classic approach to adventure games, it’s a classic approach to fantasy RPG combat. There are modern ideas, sure, but they all tweak a formula fit for tabletops.

There’s a story to Blackguards, and an absolutely gorgeous world map to explore, but the focus is party-based combat, with almost 200 unique battle maps. Movement is hexagonal, and I’m told that some of the maps are “very big.” The few I saw were a good size—not as big as XCOM’s, for instance, but big enough to tell the story they were designed for. One had the party free prisoners to distract guards while they escaped, and the other was a rescue mission with a turn limit.

Screens

blackguards-art-achaz-1024x454.jpg

blackguards_03.jpg

blackguards-new_01.jpg

blackguards-new_02.jpg

blackguards-new_03.jpg

Blackguards_Screenshot02-copy.jpg

Looks very nice and marks a continuing trend of new TB RPG's that leaves me all giddy inside. :bounce:

Last edited by a moderator:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Jesus another turn based game? Not that I'm complaining but what on earth happened this March?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
What the fuck is with this incline, where have they all been before, hibernating since the 90s?

STOP IT PLEASE. I want my AAAWESOME cinematic real-time cover shooters back!

Gondolin

Arcane
What happens when the only hope of a threatened world lies not with heroes in shining armor but in the hands of a band of misfits and criminals?

This epic shit story again? You know what, Daedalic Entertainment? This March I can afford to turn my nose up at your epic story!
:yeah:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Is it safe to say that the success of the Wasteland 2 kickstarter is at least partially responsible for the bizarrely high amount of turn based RPGs now in development?

I think it is.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Is it safe to say that the success of the Wasteland 2 kickstarter is at least partially responsible for the bizarrely high amount of turn based RPGs now in development?

I think it is.
Well, they've stated that they have been working on the game for two years, that means starting a year before Wasteland2 KS.

But other than that, yes indeed, Kickstarter was the best thing since Mantiis stopped posting.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

I think it is.

They have been working on this for 2 years now, i doubt WL2 inspired them but it sure as hell validated their choice.

From those shots tho, the combat looks remarkably similar to Conquistador.

Edit: For those of you curious about these Devs work, i recommend checking out their most excellent Chains of Satinav adventure game, it's set in the same world.

the-dark-eye-chains-of-satinav-362048.jpg

SatinavsKetten_Screen02.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hex-gridded too. :eek:

Seriously...

All these games will suck, there's no other possible explanation for this.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
looks fucking good, sounds cool. let's hope it is.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So... Daedalic the Adventure Game company is doing this? If so, yeah they can tell a good story. Their translations can get a bit spotty though.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I eah haha hahaaahhh ahhahhhhhhhhh eheh?

fucking endtimes man, endtimes. The beast walks the earth, the seals have broken and wombs are turning barren.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I just don't know. I will have to check other people for suspicious mirror universe beards for the rest of the day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom