Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BLACKROOM, an oldschool FPS from John Romero and Adrian Carmack - Kickstarter cancelled!

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pledge $20,000 or more
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)

John Romero will personally become your bitch for a whole day. He will travel to your house and suck it down.
You will have to cover his travel expenses, but Romero will bring his own food and clothes (but he will wear anything you give him).
Please note that Romero will not be obligated to do anything that is considered illegal (but may choose to do so).

Pledge $50,000 or more
0 backers Limited (2 left of 2)

Same as the above, but for a whole week!
Please note that depending of the level of campaign's success, Romero might not be able to provide food for himself for the whole week, in which case you will have to feed him at least once a day.

I don't know who you are, lurker, but this post is as good as Daikatana was bad :bro:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
John_Carmack_John_Romero_Wide.jpg

:Flash:

Arcane
I've checked and yeah, It used to be under a different license that forbids commercial use. But now it's all available with GPL.
GPL does forbid commercial use.
It doesn't.
OK, let me rephrase: GPL does forbid what 95% of companies would require for commercial use. Whether Romero would make an exception, I don't know.
Men all GPL requires is that source code is distributed with binaries and that code that extends GPL'd code must use the same license.

This of course is difficult for utility software since you can just get the source code and compile it yourself, and anyone can distribute the binaries. But video games are more than code. There's all the game data too.

So GPL is actually great for games since it's perfectly viable to sell copies (Can't play the game with just code), and nobody can be a dick with the code, since if they make modifications they have to share with everyone (Unless they pay the license holder to get it under a different license of course).
- You cannot implement copy protection.
- Everyone can sell your game, as long as the assets are replaced.
- Everyone can sell expansion packs / DLC to your game, because buyers of expansion packs already have the original assets.
Those alone are deal breakers for most gaming companies.

thesoup

Arcane
Rooting for Romero. Time to redeem himself. The past 16 years were enough ridicule for one man.

Good video:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
There's also this series of videos produced by Double Fraud. It features him chatting about the design of E1

J1M

Arcane
A Romero FPS? Why would someone want to play an FPS on their phone inside the facebook app?

Barbarian

Arcane
Rooting for Romero. Time to redeem himself. [/MEDIA]

Don't forget the poor guy also married that melonheaded tranny monster "Brenda". Whatever happened to his previous underaged eastern-european sex slave anyway?

Kron

Arcane
Holy shit Adrian Carmack has returned from the grave! As far as I know this guy disappeared from the face of the earth after he left ID.
Seeing his face again - now older - makes me sad in a bittersweet melancholic way.

This game is bound to be a disappointment; I just can't get hyped anymore, even if I do hope the best for both Romero and Carmack (unlike with some other old fart devs).
Still, gotta respect Adrian's artwork for Doom, that stuff is classic. Really hope his art hasn't grown bland and flaccid.

Venser

Erudite
Adrian Carmack on board? Shit just got real. I'm a cynical motherfucker and I always expect shit but I'm gonna make an exception and allow myself to be hyped for once.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom