Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Blackthorne health fundraiser

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
People simply don't know, usually there is a newpost for a fundraiser. And maybe posters don't know Bt, not everybody lurks in adventure gaming. So I think its a pretty decent turnout actually.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, there's no newspost, I only noticed this by chance.

Blackthorne I haven't played your game (yet?) but I chipped in. Best of luck.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Sorry to hear about all these kinds of troubles. I would donate if I could, however i am but a young, dumb, broke high school (well college soon) kid, with very little to my name. I did just purchase a copy of Quest For Infamy on Steam using a gift card I got recently, so I hope that at least some of that money can go toward helping in this. I wish all the best for you and god for you for sticking with things like this and not giving up in the face of adversity as many do. :salute:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, I think ANYTHING collected here is a nice gesture, seriously. As someone put, I'm an adventure game dev, we're a small but loyal crew here. And I know how many people here are broke/on a budget. I've been there myself, so don't ever feel bad about not chipping in... things like this are a gift, not an expectation, and I really just like it more when I hear people playing my game. I mean, in the end, if this all goes to shit and I shuffle off, the game will be here longer than me. Thanks for picking up my game, Wayward Son, and for the well wishes. That shit matters.

Bt

daveyd

Savant
So I finally bought QFI last weekend when it was on GOG sale for 2 bucks. It was something on my wishlist for awhile and kinda forgot about it. I think a few negative reviews deterred me from getting it earlier. Not very far yet but having a good time with it and wished I'd got it years ago. I feel like a dirty thief, not only because I'm doing the rogue path but 'cause I snagged this nice game on the cheap.

Don't die, Blackthorne. The world needs more point and click adventure RPGs. I plan to buy Roem to Ruin day one and hopefully QFI 2 someday as well.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
So I finally bought QFI last weekend when it was on GOG sale for 2 bucks. It was something on my wishlist for awhile and kinda forgot about it. I think a few negative reviews deterred me from getting it earlier. Not very far yet but having a good time with it and wished I'd got it years ago. I feel like a dirty thief, not only because I'm doing the rogue path but 'cause I snagged this nice game on the cheap.

Don't die, Blackthorne. The world needs more point and click adventure RPGs. I plan to buy Roem to Ruin day one and hopefully QFI 2 someday as well.

I'm glad you're having a good time with it, man! That's good news. I love that people can still discover it and be like "Hey, I like this!" It's okay to get it on the cheap, I'm just glad people still play it.

Bt

azimuth

Educated
Love QFI! Loved Order of the Thorne too. You guys gotta keep cranking these babies out.

Didn't know about this fundraiser, but I'll give what I can.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I only became aware of this thanks to some misguided troll that apologized in Site Feedback.

The Codex fundraiser might need some time to get traction. I'm sure that I'm not the only one here who never visits the front page, and only ever notices news articles thanks to the news section of the forum. ^^
Anyway, donated a little and checked if I already have bought QoI (I have, probably on some sale though).

I'm sorry for anyone who is at the mercy of the US healthcare system, but your story is absolutely fucked up anyway.
That's what happens when you use luck as a dump stat, people.

But seriously, get well... And then stay that way.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steven Alexander
October 12 at 8:38 AM

Hey there, this is probably going to be a long post; it's an update about the status of my health, my kidneys and my future. w/Jordan Elizabeth Alexander

Three years ago, we noticed that my function began to decrease slightly; ever since, my transplanted kidney, which I got in 2011, has been losing function. This year, as you may know, my function depleted rapidly, and currently I have less than 9% function left. I was in constant contact with my nephrologist and I had several biopsies performed by the people in the transplant department.

They discovered several antibodies in my blood, and investigated them to try and determine what had caused what they eventually diagnosed as "membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis (MPGN)". There seemed to be a variety of symptoms, and they tested for many things - including hepatitis B, HIV and Lupus.... all markers ended up being negative. So they performed a special genetic test, sending my blood off to a specialized lab to be analyzed and to see if there was a genetic component or a complement disease that contributed to me developing MPGN.

The results came back, and I have no genetic component or complement disease. I am a very, very rare case of what they call idiopathic MPGN. They literally have no idea why my body ends up killing the nephrons in my kidneys. The nephrons are the specific cells that filter and clean the blood; through this, the impurities are filtered out and made into urine. This process happens continually in the body, 24 hours a day. Your kidneys are amazing filters, and we never really notice what they do. We just go and go, and the only marker we really have for them is when we urinate. Weird, huh? Such a small organ too, but it regulates so much for the body.

For some unknown reason, my body kills kidneys. And it will continue to do so. They suspect that if I have another transplant, I have an estimated 80% chance of this developing again - and they really have no way to treat or prevent it. There was talk of such things a chemotherapy or plasma-furiouses if it developed, but these are basically, "We don't know what else to do, so we're going to throw this in you and see if it works."

The truth is, this condition is terminal. This will kill me. I have been used to to the notion that I would not live a long time for quite a while. It's definitely an experience to face your own mortality so harshly; most people don't have to do it so young, and it's a worry we file away for that mythical someday. Some people do have to face it, and yes, it is unfair... but we all know life isn't always fair. I have lived longer than I ever really expected to, being diagnosed at 24. I have survived things I never thought I could, and I have endured experiences that have left other people dead. I don't know how much time I have left, really. I will have to go on dialysis, and I will most likely be there for a long time.

The doctors/transplant program are hesitant to give me a kidney from a living donor, due to how high risk I am now. The doctor spoke to us the other day, and though he made it sound like it was our choice, the choice was easy for me. I can not, in good conscious, take the kidney of my wife - the mother of our children, in this manner and with this risk. The chance of her developing complications is something I can't live with, especially if it doesn't work out for me. She is a match, for me, genetically but we cannot proceed this way. They may not even give me another transplant at all; the doctor said he would offer me a cadaver donor, like last time, but that would be it. If I got another transplant, this would most assuredly be my last one. And it would most likely eventually fail. My body would kill it.

So, I will return to dialysis. I do not know how long I will last on it; the last time I was a dialysis patient, I was on for almost five years, and by the end, I was hanging on by a thread. I was younger and stronger then. I just do not know how much I have left in the tank. I am still waiting on word from the transplant clinic to see if they will allow another transplant at all. Even if so, the chances of me getting a cadaver donor are low... and the wait time would be long. Maybe longer than I have.

I have been very fortunate in so many things in life: family, friends, love... these really are the important things. I'm sorry to share something so heavy with you all, but the truth is the relationships in my life are the most important thing to me. I communicate with a lot of friends and family through this medium, and some for some of you, this is the only way we've been able to communicate over the years.

I'm sure I will keep updates on things here, but this is what has been weighing on me for days. I've been thinking so much about my family - my wife and kids. My extended family. So much to do, so little time. I don't know what the future holds, or how long I have. I'm just going to try and live my best life as long as I can. There aren't many miracles left on the end of my health any more; I think I've outrun fate for a long time. 15 years of dodging death has been an adventure. I just want to thank everyone who has supported me and my family over the years. You've given so much of yourselves, and through this and my experiences with it all, so many of you have shown your quality: it is of the highest degree, and I'm so proud to call many of you friends. I hope that this kind of kindness and compassion continues on in your lives, and we can all share a bit of it over the years. This is what makes the world a better place, no matter how small the act. I've felt the ripples from a pebble in a pond, and I've felt the tidal waves that crash over the sides. I'm looking forward to feeling those a little longer, and maybe sending out a few more of my own before I have to go.

Fifteen years living like this on the edge. I hope Steve will avoid the danger to spend his time with the family.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Just takes the wife's kidney. She'll do fine with one. As I understand it, it could give him at least a few more years before the new kidney starts developing problems again, right? And, there is the slight chance that everything will work this time.
The guy is brave. Honestly I think I'd do anything to cling to even a few more years if I was in his place. This shit makes me depressed.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Things have been tough; a week in the hospital, and I'm starting in center dialysis now... but I'm pretty resilient. I'll bounce back. Thanks for all the support, fellas. Seriously.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Things have been tough; a week in the hospital, and I'm starting in center dialysis now... but I'm pretty resilient. I'll bounce back. Thanks for all the support, fellas. Seriously.
Do you have a PayPal address I can send the Codex monies too?

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I might be a pirate but I can't pirate you kidney, so I guess I'll have to pay, godspeed Steve, see you when you're ninety.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom