Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blade Runner

MetalCraze

Arcane
OK so I missed the game back in the time, probably because I've never seen the movie until recently - probably because it was never shown here and there was no unlimited access to the internet back in the days. well. I watched the movie, liked it, now waiting for the Final Cut to be released on Dec 18th... meanwhile I got myself this baby. I started to play this game and I actually like it - a good game. though with time my opinion may shift. both ways.
anyway - in the options I noticed that you can choose how McCoy will handle the dialogues. so if I set it to the user choice - how it will affect anything? will I get any dialogue options (of course I don't expect them to be actual text rpg-like dialogue options you friggin' nitpickers) or any other effect? I've started the game recently - but I would like to know. now.

oh and what does that "designer's cut" radio-button do?

Longshanks

Augur
It's been a while since I played it, but I think user choice allows you to select an approach, like questioning, and if you have it off, the approach is automatically selected.
Was interested in the "Designer's Cut" option, I don't remember that at all so I googled it:

Since Blade Runner was meant to be played multiple times, the Designer's Cut option was created to cut down on some of the dialogue in the game. With this option on, only the most important clue-containing dialogue will be heard. We recommend only turning this option on after you have finished Blade Runner at least once. That way you won't miss out on any of the storyline.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
You can set McCoy's behaviour to "friendly", "unfriendly hardass supercop", "erratic", etc. The only difference is that McCoy will choose the more appropriate dialogue on his own. This means... well, I don't really know. It didn't really mean anything other than that most conversations tend to be shorter since some dialogue options tend piss some characters off meaning you can't talk to them anymore. It's not a problem though since the game adapts to it. I guess it's kinda cool.

But I always chose "user choice" because no game's evah gonna tie me down.

Edit: I also want to say that McCoy doesn't behave like a "psycho" if you click "psycho". A "psycho" McCoy is simply choosing "Hey, bitch. I'm gonna put you on the machine for no reason at all!" as the opening line whereas a "friendly" McCoy would probably choose "Hey there, girl. My name is McCoy. Have you seen two replicants running around lately? One has a beard. Likes to read poetry? Take your time. I have some photos you can look at if you want to."

It's only a list of dialogue options.

MetalCraze

Arcane
well, thank you.
I've been playing for a while... the only thing that disappoints me (well except that areas are too bright (like Tyrell's office) - I would prefer them darker, like in the movie) is that the game seems to be very short. but it has some really big addictive pluses like non-linearity and C&C. Though it was hard for me to adopt quickly to that C&C because I kinda forgot how harsh they can be thanks to all that pussy consequences of todays games. and noone forces aforementioned choices on you. you need to come with ones on your own. I kinda like situations like minor spoiler where reps gonna shoot that dirty cop - you can simply watch how they do it - and then depending on your actions in the game they gonna shoot you. but you can run away.
or you just can pull your gun and blow the cop's head off - before they'll even come to that point - and reps will go like "oh brother!". and something tells me this will have long-term consequences like most of other actions in the game.

wonderful game, but very short. but I will give it a second playthrough for sure.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
skyway said:
the only thing that disappoints me is that the game seems to be very short. but it has some really big addictive pluses like non-linearity and C&C.
Yeah it's short, but I'd rather have a short game with lots of C&C and non-linear gameplay than a long and linear game.

And yeah, the game doesn't "advertise" its choices and consequences. They're not obvious, and often you don't realize things could have gone differently. That's somewhat of a flaw, since you can only see the awesomeness of a choice if you replay the game and see things going differently. I think choices are enjoyed much more when you know at the moment you make it that it has consequences that affects how things play out.

I think most C&C are contained in a certain encounter though, they don't influence the end game. Still, a different approach gives you different clues, and this affects the end game, so the game is really dynamic.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Ismaul said:
That's somewhat of a flaw, since you can only see the awesomeness of a choice if you replay the game and see things going differently.

Second that. I always have the same 2 endings :) It's all up to your open-mindness and skill. Nowhere in the game you are presented with the choice. You just play the game and if you screw, forget, miss something - the game changes. Remember the first convo with Zuben? I nearly pissed my pants when I discovered you can avoid the soup and what implications it has...

The dialogue - "friendly" is default IIRC and the most efficient. "Player chooses" is cool but you can easily fuck things up if you ask wrong questions (and reloading sometimes doesn't help as you may not meet the same person again).

MetalCraze

Arcane
well I have no problems with the game having no obvious choices. it's even more interesting this way for me. more like old hardcore games.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah, no hand-holding. This is no real flaw: the game is like mirror in this department - if you see something you don't like it's because of you.

Fun thing is that replicant/human flag for NPCs is random (not set) so even if you want to play exactly the same - the gameplay may differ a bit :)

MetalCraze

Arcane
bozia2012 said:
Yeah, no hand-holding. This is no real flaw: the game is like mirror in this department - if you see something you don't like it's because of you.

Fun thing is that replicant/human flag for NPCs is random (not set) so even if you want to play exactly the same - the gameplay may differ a bit :)

Well I completed it some hours ago already. I like this freedom of choices there, random line of events and that consequences are unpredictable. will start my second play-through this evening for sure. Westwood did a great job.

some major spoilers below

my first play-through was mostly anti-replicant oriented, I even haven't learned much about Dektora, Lucy and her father. Mostly was tracking down Clovis and friends, killed almost all of them in the end and VK'ed everyone suspicious to me.
so... I think I'll try to go some other way now.
please no spoilers now.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
skyway said:
my first play-through was mostly anti-replicant oriented, I even haven't learned much about Dektora, Lucy and her father. Mostly was tracking down Clovis and friends, killed almost all of them in the end and VK'ed everyone suspicious to me.
so... I think I'll try to go some other way now.
please no spoilers now.

I always got the rep-lover ending (there are several). Not that I like Clovis' methods - the plot has some really nice twists [pedo]and Lucy is so innocent... 8==D~~~~ LOL [/pedo]

Dektora: there are several NPCs which are hard to get-to-know because some of them you might not encounter in the whole game (i didn't met Lucy my first time). I had only one conversation with Dektora - and i always fucked up on VK :) (an example of minigame which is done excellent).

tW reminded me of BR in several moments (Act II investigation - duh!) but in C&C and plot development: BR>tW

My question is - are there any (adventure) games similar in concept to BR?

BTW: "director's cut" is the default setting for dialogue IIRC

Briosafreak

Augur
Don't use Director's cut, it just...cuts the dialog.

wonderful game, but very short. but I will give it a second playthrough for sure.

The game has twelve different endings. I played it a bunch of times, so did my wife, and we only got 8 endings between us.

There are zones of the game that are always very similar, but things do play differently and some surprises only come after you play it 4 or five times.

It has become one of my favorite games of all time because of the replayability and the way your choices have real consequences. And the VK is the best most atmospheric mini game ever.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And the VK is the best most atmospheric mini game ever.

yeah - makes you think what a great job westwood did with recording a humongous amount of dialogues. bioware is sitting in the corner and nervously smoking.
and our beloved Kane/Joe Kucan also played one but very secondary character in this game besides writing the whole scenario. ahhh good old westwood... miss it.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
skyway said:
bioware is sitting in the corner and nervously smoking.

O RLY? Was the game very popular?

Kids these days don't know shit about "good ol' times" so publishers/developers should feel rather safe and worry only about the appeal not the gameplay.

VK: not only done good (lots of dialogues) but also crucial to the plot progress (not a time filler). IIRC you couldn't always get a clear result so sometimes you had to decide for yourself - and these were really hard choices.

Riso

Arcane
The problem with the BR game was the release of Monkey Island 3.

Also, you make me want to play BR again.

pug987

Scholar
Blade Runner is one of my favorite adventures. I played it years before I saw the movie and like several other people I know who have done likewise, liked it more than the movie.

I usually don't replay games but I've played BR more than 15 times. I got around 8 different endings. It took me about 20 hours the first time (which is a decent time for an adventure but I was still a kid so it may be much shorter than that) and four hours for the next playthroughs.

I remember that it was released about the same time with a Tomb Raider game (I think it was 3) back in the days when Tomb Raider was one of the top gaming franchizes. All the gaming press in my country had extensive previews about Tomb Raider and there was a lot of hype about it. Then both games were released the same month and the gaming magazines either postponed the Tomb Raider review for the next issue or made Blade Runner the cover game and Tomb Raider got the second spot.

BR goes to show what a great company Westwood was. It's fameous for its RTS games (Dune 2, Command and Conquer, Red Alert), it has released the very well received Lands of Lore series of RPGs (especially LoL 1) and here they come with a great adventure game as well.

By the way, when BR was released it was one of the very few games that featured 3d graphics without needing a card with 3d acceleration. It looked amazing at the time.

Anyway, I challenge you to get the first score at the shooting range minigame. If you do, the female cop (Steel if I remember right) goes and scores even higher. I tried to pass her again but you have to be perfect. I don't know if this unlocks any in game events.

I'll close this post by quoting one of the NPCs:
"What does a marriage and a tornado have in common?
First there is a lot of sucking and blowing... and then you lose your house." :P

MetalCraze

Arcane
pug987 said:
I'll close this post by quoting one of the NPCs:
"What does a marriage and a tornado have in common?
First there is a lot of sucking and blowing... and then you lose your house." :P

Kinda shows that Joe Kucan can be not only a charismatic villain.

so... let my second playthrough begin!

Gambler

Augur
IIRC, the game has 13 endings.

IMO, this is one of the games designers should study before making any story-based games of their own.

Briosafreak

Augur
Gambler said:
IIRC, the game has 13 endings.

IMO, this is one of the games designers should study before making any story-based games of their own.

True. By the way the sets were designed by the same guy that made created the Blade Runner world, and the game is a mix, with things in the story and in some areas that are inspired by the book.

Longshanks

Augur
I always knew this game had C&C and replayability, but did not realise they were as extensive as suggested by posters here. I'm going to replay it and see for myself, as if what you say is true, it's better in these aspects than any Adventure game I've played. You may want to give the recent Culpa Innata a try, had many similarities with BR (though I much prefer BR), including VK-like interviews (only 3 I think), it also claims non-linearity and C&C, though I'm not sure how valid these claims are, I've little interest in replaying the game (I do know an important late-game area can be missed), I found the story rather dull and the gameplay lacking, but it's been positively reviewed on most Adventure game sites.

Anyone played an Adventure with more C&C and non-linearity than BR?

Section8

Cipher
oh and what does that "designer's cut" radio-button do?

If it's anything like the movie, it sucks the soul out and replaces it with ridiculously obvious exposition of the original's subtlety.

pug987

Scholar
Longshanks said:
Anyone played an Adventure with more C&C and non-linearity than BR?

Last Express which is also the only real time adventure game I know. Blade Runner was advertised as real time but it hardly is.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
pug987 said:
Anyway, I challenge you to get the first score at the shooting range minigame. If you do, the female cop (Steel if I remember right) goes and scores even higher. I tried to pass her again but you have to be perfect. I don't know if this unlocks any in game events.

It's not a big problem if you know the exact places the dummies show (there are only 5-6 of them for each shooting range). Dunno if it unlocked anything - she was always like an older sister for me... though I had to kill her once.

Topher

Cipher
I have yet to see a game with more C&C then BR... to this day it has not been surpassed. I haven't played it in years, good memories.

I can't wait for the new BR dvd release, so excited.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Some combinations of who's an android and who isn't (Lucy etc) could make things really interesting in BR.

Too bad about the rat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom