Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Blade Runner

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by MetalCraze, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Barbader Novice

Barbader
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Farenheit aka Indigo Prophecy

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Parrots:
    sucked balls in the end.

edit>

OK I've completed BR for the second time. This time the gameplay was a little different - some people survived - some don't, I also killed some cops. and I've found some clues I didn't find previously. and even in the very end sequence of the game it was different. but I still got the same ending :(

OK on the 3rd walkthrough when it will finally take place - I will play as a heartless bastard who will kill and vk everyone.

on the 4th walkthrough I will try to arrange it according to brmovie's one. because - shit, until I accidently noticed that sentence in it that directs me to look at Lucy's ankle on the photo... I hate this game.

so BR is kinda adventure/rpg right? because it lets you to develop your character in many ways and there are lots of choices that affect everything in the game.

^ Top  
  3. Briosafreak Augur

Briosafreak
    Parrots:
    Remember a few pictures might show up that you've never seen before.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Parrots:
    yes I've read at brmovie that pictures may show different people and things depending on your playthrough. I kinda love this game. It's on a par with the best rpgs out there.

btw is it really possible to avoid the soup?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. pug987 Scholar

pug987
    Parrots:
    I wouldn't say it's an rpg (not even partly) just because it has multiple routes and choices and consequences. Other adventures let you play out your character to an extend and your choices define how they progress, see Pandora Directive for example, with 7 different endings and many more dialogue choices than BR. In fact if you play at hardcore mode, some of the dialogue choices could get you killed.

Now to avoid the soup, during the conversation have the cursor pointing at the side door. Just when you know he's gonna overturn the cauldron click on the door a few times and your character will jump aside and dodge the soup. Avoiding the soup gives you a very important option that you don't have otherwise. I'll let you find out what.

^ Top  
  6. bozia2012 Arcane Patron

bozia2012
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    IIRC you have to right-click (take your cock out) in the right time (when he makes a move to pour the soup on you) and then clickety-click on the door. Is it possible not to kill Zuben?

I've noticed that sometimes you can't esper all details from the picture (you know they're there but it doesn't work) - logical.

^ Top  
  7. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Oh shit, this actually looks really good. I really like adventure games where puzzles revolve around investigating a mystery. It makes much more sense when they aren't just there as an obstacle to continue the story.

I just checked the trailer. Love the puchline: "Danger's like jello... There's always room for more."

^ Top  
  8. pug987 Scholar

pug987
    Parrots:
    I didn't want to give it away but since you ask, yes. When you pursue him you corner him in a dark building and you have the option of either shooting him or putting away your gun and having a nice little conversation with him. If you don't avoid the soup then he appears when you get back to your appartment at the end of act 1 if I remember correctly and you have to kill him.

I wouldn't want to start a rant about Pandora Directive in a Blade Runner topic so I'll just say that if I had to recomend 10 games that any gamer should play at least once, Pandora Directive would probably be at the top 3. A warning though to those who still haven't watched the trailer. It doesn't do the game justice and has a lot of spoilers.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Parrots:
    I didn't say it's a rpg. I said it's adventure/rpg. or adventure with rpg elements. I know that BR has no stats and perks - but it exactly lets you to somewhat roleplay your character. it's not about C&C - but about that you can actually act with your character differently - like in a good rpg. so I think it has one of the most important rpg elements.

thank you. I wonder how devs actually wanted the player to come up with such solution on his own.
    but that will happen on my 3rd playthrough... but not now.
    now I maybe will try that old Dune (not rts Dune, but adventure/strategy Dune). Already installed it and started playing a little.

^ Top  
  10. Briosafreak Augur

Briosafreak
    Parrots:
    I rarely killed him :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. boynextdoor Educated

boynextdoor
    Parrots:
    If there were stats it would be a RPG then? I think this genre thing doesn't make sense at all.

^ Top  
  12. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    Back in the day I was really impressed with the graphical style, the different outcomes and atmosphere of this game. There was however one thing that I rather disliked. The game indeed changed according to your actions, which was rather neat. However it really wasn't that clear what direction you went in with a certain course of action and a number of these game changes didn't work that well together. With these adding up you sometimes reached an ending that made absolutely no sense. Perhaps rather realistic, but I was a bit underwhelmed.

^ Top  
  13. avatar_58 Educated

Parrots:
    I was dissapointed in the lack of puzzles. In fact besides the Esper....you never really *did* anything. You just sort of experience the world and it's story.

As an interactive movie it's awesome, a very good version of the movie that actually goes into more detail than the film (obviouslly, since it's longer and interactive).

However as an adventure it sort of misses it's mark without puzzles or any clear choices. Many choices aren't apparent or change the story entirely based on small decisions. As in "touch this and you're replicant, don't and you're human" which made no sense.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Arcane

Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
    Parrots:
    Is it possible to run this in windowed mode? Looks kinda horribly ugly on my 1440x900 monitor.

^ Top  
  15. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    Parrots:
    :necro:

https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/33034

• Salute Salute x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    Such a cool and unique game. A shame that there won't be a re-release for it, that would've been great. It really blew me away when I first played it back in the day.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    The thing I liked the best with the replicant or not random generator was that...

Show Spoiler

It also applies to the main character

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 10:40 PM
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Doma Savant

Doma
    Parrots:
    Fuck yeah Blade Runner. Loved it when it came out. Maybe its time to replay it.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. bozia2012 Arcane Patron

bozia2012
    Parrots:
    And you could never be sure who was a replicant or not (except Clovis and that other dude).

VK was the only way to check it and you had to interpret the result yourself.

^ Top  
  20. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Couldn't you cheat the test too by manually adjusting some values ?

Also, I liked how you could kill some random people or get a VK wrong and the game would go on but remember.

^ Top  
  21. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    I think you could get the VK modified somehow also? Was it the weapons merchant who could do it? Man, can't remember... been too long.

Is it a huge pain in the ass to run this game nowadays or is it fairly easy?

^ Top  
  22. bozia2012 Arcane Patron

bozia2012
    Parrots:
    I remember I stayed off from VK because I didn't understand it back then. But wasn't it like your decision if someone was a replicant was final and not questioned by anyone? You could just kill random people and it was all in your conscience.

^ Top  
  23. I'm With Her SausageInYourFace for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I remember (if I remember correctly) that I killed some guy suspecting he was a replicant but he was actually human and I got arrested and the game ended.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)