Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

J1M

Arcane
One of the features they want is integration with recent bnet features and better support for modern video cards. The client is absolutely changing. Call me pessimistic that they would re-implement those things given their approach with the back-end.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
One of the features they want is integration with recent bnet features and better support for modern video cards. The client is absolutely changing. Call me pessimistic that they would re-implement those things given their approach with the back-end.
It can go either way, we don't know.

But one thing is certain is that they're not losing the "original character animations" even if they do run the game with the new engine, but old data. Animations are not part of the engine. They're just animations, i.e. data about where X bone is at Y frame in relation to its parent bone.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
35126931_10208957564695406_6254739458457862144_o.png

Aildrik

Savant

I don't see how they can call it classic with new models, new animations, etc. My thinking is this has to be the "old" client (however they technically pull that off), whether its a separate executable in your WoW folder, etc. If they did anything else it would be instant torches and pitchforks and people would just go back to playing on private servers.

J1M

Arcane

I don't see how they can call it classic with new models, new animations, etc. My thinking is this has to be the "old" client (however they technically pull that off), whether its a separate executable in your WoW folder, etc. If they did anything else it would be instant torches and pitchforks and people would just go back to playing on private servers.
You say that like it isn't their real goal. The promise of classic keeps people away from private servers until the next expansion launches.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Grouping up for non-elite questing is the worst thing you can do, xp for kills is distributed evenly among party members while most of your xp comes from mobs. You literally won't have enough quests to level if you do that.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's almost as if you should try to group up with other people to be more efficient.
Unfortunately that's discouraged in vanilla, except for group quests and dungeons. Otherwise you get less xp than questiong solo. Which I think is a shame.

Or what Lacrymas said. I wrote it before reading his post.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So? You kill exponentially faster and can pull in larger groups of enemies. Makes it a whole lot faster and more enjoyable. Also, I leveled most my vanilla characters doing 2-4 man groups from 1 to 60. Never had a problem.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So? You kill exponentially faster and can pull in larger groups of enemies. Makes it a whole lot faster and more enjoyable. Also, I leveled most my vanilla characters doing 2-4 man groups from 1 to 60. Never had a problem.
There's a limited amount of quests. You quest faster, but you get less XP for the mobs themselves, and in a couple of hours days you run out of quests for your level, and find yourself underleveled for next quests.

On the Horde side, there is an especially difficult situation between levels 41 and 45 where you can easily run out of quests even while soloing, unless you do absolutely all dungeons a couple of times and don't skip even green quests all across the world. And you must avoid doing the orange quests in Tanaris that are so easy and tempting at level 42.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There's a limited amount of quests. You quest faster, but then you run out of them for your level.

On the Horde side, there is an especially difficult situation between levels 41 and 45 where you can easily run out of quests unless you do absolutely all dungeons a couple of times and don't skip even green quests all across the world. And you must avoid doing the orange quests in Tanaris that are so easy and tempting at level 42.

Two things:

1) Why did you guys even assume that anyone was ONLY going to quest for XP? Where did this scenario come from?

2) You guys are forgetting the fact that you are still competing for monster drops with other party members so you will kill an excess amount of monsters that will make up for the XP that you split with others. Only difference now is that you can just aggro all enemies within your radius and hog all the kills from everyone else.

Parabalus

Arcane
There's a limited amount of quests. You quest faster, but then you run out of them for your level.

On the Horde side, there is an especially difficult situation between levels 41 and 45 where you can easily run out of quests unless you do absolutely all dungeons a couple of times and don't skip even green quests all across the world. And you must avoid doing the orange quests in Tanaris that are so easy and tempting at level 42.

Two things:

1) Why did you guys even assume that anyone was ONLY going to quest for XP? Where did this scenario come from?

2) You guys are forgetting the fact that you are still competing for monster drops with other party members so you will kill an excess amount of monsters that will make up for the XP that you split with others. Only difference now is that you can just aggro all enemies within your radius and hog all the kills from everyone else.

If it were really faster all the race winners for server 1st lvl 60 would have been groups, not solo players.

More fun to do it grouped up though, definitely.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
you are still competing for monster drops with other party members so you will kill an excess amount of monsters
Some quests are simply "Kill 20 mobs", so that's shared. In other quests a mob drops items for you and your buddy. Only in a subset of situations do you have to kill twice as many mobs.

Why did you guys even assume that anyone was ONLY going to quest for XP? Where did this scenario come from?
What else, you're going to dungeons? I always assume you go to all dungeons, because that's fun and there are quests inside. I usually do a couple of extra runs after I finished all quests in a dungeon, just to make sure I don't lag behind the quest levels. I once ran out of ALL quests for my level on a warrior around level 44 and I simply had to give up on that character. So now I make sure I don't repeat that mistake.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If it were really faster all the race winners for server 1st lvl 60 would have been groups, not solo players.

More fun to do it grouped up though, definitely.

Race winners solo because they don't need to stop and wait for anyone, not because it's faster. For maximum efficiency you'd have a full time 5 man group and grind dungeons for XP, but good luck finding the other 4 players who are willing to play without stopping until they're 60.

What else, you're going to dungeons? I always assume you go to all dungeons, because that's fun and there are quests inside. I usually do a couple of extra runs after I finished all quests in a dungeon, just to make sure I don't lag behind the quest levels. I once ran out of ALL quests for my level on a warrior around level 44 and I simply had to give up on that character. So now I make sure I don't repeat that mistake.

If I was running with 2 or 3 other players we would use questing as a supplement for when we wait/look for other party members to join us in a dungeon. If I was duoing then I'd just play the same way as I'd solo, the XP penalty doesn't really make that much of a difference in a duo team.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually no, grouping in whatever circumstances isn't faster or, like Parabalus said, entire guilds would just do that instead. Since you are 5 people in the same group, nobody would be behind, so that point is moot. Grinding mobs in dungeons with a group is NOT efficient, you get laughably little xp that way.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's like we played a different game. No, grouping for dungeon XP is slow as fuck, unless you have an entire level of rested bonus.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's like we played a different game. No, grouping for dungeon XP is slow as fuck, unless you have an entire level of rested bonus.
Yeah, with a shit group it's a slog, no argument from me there. But with a group of friends who know what they are doing you will burn through dungeons fast and XP gains will be good. It also gets exponentially easier and faster since you keep getting all that dungeon loot which is way better than the crap you get from questing.

Edit: Shit groups remind me of spending hours in Dead Mines because someone needs to take a mana break between each pull, people keep leaving and you need to replace them etc. Obviously that's worthless XP. Try leveling with friends, it blows solo XP out the water.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Not an especially difficult thing to pull off when you play with a group of close irl friends though I can certainly appreciate the struggle to empathize yourself in such a situation if you've never had friends.

Farewell into the night

This is so weird. I played original Vanilla, TBC, Wrath, Cata, MoP, Wod and Legion and my impression is that WoW is overall a spawn of Satan, a monster that killed Warcraft and devoured it corpse.
Vanilla was cool, because it enabled to experience Warcraft world from the whole new perspective. I think Silthid/Silithus/Ahn Qiraj was the beginning of the crap, it felt strange and I believe it's the first major thing that was disconnected from original Warcraft lore.

When I heard about Nostarlius server, I jumped in to see how it will be cool to come back to Vanilla, and it was fun to experience old world and it's dungeons, raids and quests.
Well, it was a fun for a while, then it became stale and boring, because of no new content.

I think that new expansions throw life into this rotten and twisted game, so I wonder how the new Vanilla will turn out after a 2 years of existing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom