Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard Entertainment

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I like a lot of the Blizzard games.

Hearthstone is solid good fun. Casual version of MTG? Yeah, sure, but it's the best online digital card game. Can be veru frustrating because of RNG, but it's still Fucking fun.

Starcraft 2 - Best RTS around, shit story, but solid multi

Diablo 3 - Has improved alot since vanilla D3, and it's now actually pretty decent fun to kill a few hours slaying monsterz.

Heroes of the Storm - Very fun game. The infact the most fun I've had with any MOBA so far. It's casual, yes, but still beats out DOTA 2 and LoL for me

Only thing I don't really like is Overwatch. That shit needs to die.

I'll like Blizzard again if they ever release Warcraft Adventures as some sort of bonus downloadable content. Not free, mind you.

Got tired of fisting all of them "Nope." posts... but yeah, not going to happen. Blizz's on a steady decline since Activision merge. Relevant folks are either retired or moved on, it's nothing but a name at this point.

Got tired of fisting all of them "Nope." posts... but yeah, not going to happen. Blizz's on a steady decline since Activision merge. Relevant folks are either retired or moved on, it's nothing but a name at this point.

Of the 90s crew, two of the co-founders, Michael Morhaime and Frank Pearce are still there. Morhaime did a lot of the programming on their 90s games. Chris Metzen's still there as well.

However, Allan Adham (who produced Blackthorne, Starcraft, Warcraft, Rock N' Roll Vikings and designed WoW) is gone. Bill Roper, who produced every game from Blackthrone through Warcraft III is gone. All the folks who did Diablo are long gone, though. Laid off in 2005 when Blizzard closed Blizzard North. But still, having Morhaime still there would be like Sierra still being run by Ken Williams.

I really dug WOW while being in a great guild in WOTK, and I love playing Hearthstone. At the same time I really hate Blizzard. They're great at fucking your mind with double binds, I can grant them that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The analogy I use is Blizzard being similar to the Howard Stern show. Granted a lot of you might not know about Stern but he was pretty hilarious in the 80's/90's. As time went on most of the good people left and/or the regulars just showed up for a paycheck. Writers were replaced with a bunch of shitty fans who grew up listening to Stern. Blizzard is the same. The talented people are either gone or in upper management/semi-retirement. The people designing the games now are shitty fanboys who grew up playing Blizz games and think they know what made them good.

Morhaime doesn't do shit anymore but cash a check. Metzen doesn't do shit other than voice some characters, smoke weed, and cash a check. A couple years ago they lost their lead systems designer (who wasn't that great to begin with) to League of fucking Legends. WoW is developed by Jay Fuck That Loser Wilson, some other fag who did the shitty Flintlocke Fargo webcomic, and another fag Ion Hazzintgottaclue who also wrote for some shitty WoW fansite.

At least Tigole and Furor were raiders who knew about game mechanics. The current content developers are little different than people like Felicia Day and Total Biscuit. Think they could design a good game?

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Metro said:
At least Tigole and Furor were raiders who knew about game mechanics. The current content developers are little different than people like Felicia Day and Total Biscuit. Think they could design a good game?

This right here is absolute golden. Furor was brought back as lead in WoW after Pandaria. Bonus points because he has about 0 to do with mechanics.
Tigole is also as active as it gets in Overwatch, probably in the same position he had in TBC and WotLK.

As for the fag, he's been working on raids since wotlk or something. Considering that content has always been top quality and kept hardcore I fail again to see your point. Hell from what you post about WoW you barely had anything to do with what he does in the game anyway.
Not exactly sure where you are going with the backgrounds either, not like there's any reputable education or starting jobs for working in the gaming industry.

You should start writing for RPS or something, at least you got your accuracy up to gaming journalism standards.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
"Total creative autonomy"

Yeah, I've heard that one before.

Here's a gem of a quote from 1995:

David Jones of DMA Design said:
There still aren't enough genuinely new ideas around. It's all Doom clones, combat or driving games. One of our philosophies is that there's got to be a twist to everything we do. All of our new titles have something different, we spent a year with these designs.

DMA Design made it big on two smash hit titles: Lemmings! in 1991 and Grand Theft Auto in 1997, they are now known today as Rockstar Games. And they have a story to tell you about how much publishers are interested in "total creative autonomy".

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Metro said:

This right here is absolute golden. Furor was brought back as lead in WoW after Pandaria. Bonus points because he has about 0 to do with mechanics.
Tigole is also as active as it gets in Overwatch, probably in the same position he had in TBC and WotLK.

As for the fag, he's been working on raids since wotlk or something. Considering that content has always been top quality and kept hardcore I fail again to see your point. Hell from what you post about WoW you barely had anything to do with what he does in the game anyway.
Not exactly sure where you are going with the backgrounds either, not like there's any reputable education or starting jobs for working in the gaming industry.

You should start writing for RPS or something, at least you got your accuracy up to gaming journalism standards.
Furor clearly doesn't do shit anymore at the company. What he did do back in the day was design raid and dungeon content. After Pandaria there was WoD... which is widely regarded as the worst expansion to date. Not sure what Tigole working on Overwatch has to do with anything. Overwatch is a shitty bubblegum TF2 rip-off. Why Tigole has experience/knowledge of that is beyond me. The only reason he's head of Overwatch is because it was the remnants of their failed F2P FPS MMO 'Titan.' That Flintlocke guy wasn't with Blizzard in Wrath so you're wrong there.

And just to go off on a tangent about Metzen. This guy... apparently his title is Chief Creative Officer or some shit at Blizzard. A job that probably pays around $300,000+ a year if not more. He shows up to Blizzcons and half the time he can't remember lore he wrote from five years ago. What the fuck does this guy do all week? Your ONLY job is to write/remember fantasy stories/characters. Why do YouTubers and the retards at WoWhead know more about the game's lore than the man who wrote it and is paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to 'curate' it? It's sad. He's probably puts in about five hours of 'work' a week.

The point is they're hiring people who are nothing but fanboys. Tigole and Furor were hardcore raiders who knew EQ in and out and weren't just casual-fags producing 'content' via websites, youtubes and streams. Backgrounds are highly relevant because the original designers of WoW either had past experience creating quality games or played so much EQ they knew what worked and what didn't. Hiring C-List Felicia Days and Total Biscuits is not a smart move because they don't know how to design shit.

You look at job listings they usually say requires X years working on this genre or responsible for Y shipped titles. Blizzard hiring seems to be.... lol that wacky guy in the community who makes funny videos/comics/memes, let's hire him. Or... worse yet... they hire from within their shitty/non-existent QA/internal beta tester department. Jay Wilson nearly killed the Diablo franchise and they reward him by making him the lead designer of WoW.

Now that's golden...

...ya dumbfuck.

Last edited:

KK1001

Arbiter
Blizzard is shit and if you have an ounce of respect for them or the polished turds they call products you have no taste.

abija

Prophet
Furor clearly doesn't do shit anymore at the company. What he did do back in the day was design raid and dungeon content.
Maybe that's what you dream at night. He was quest designer > lead quest designer > lead world designer > creative director.

Also: Furor was known by the community as "Furor Planedefiler", an Everquest "e-celebrity" that was known for providing arguably controversial commentary and feedback within the community. Alex was responsible for the implementation of various significant events, including the opening of the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj.

You look at job listings they usually say requires X years working on this genre or responsible for Y shipped titles. Blizzard hiring seems to be.... lol that wacky guy in the community who makes funny videos/comics/memes, let's hire him. Or... worse yet... they hire from within their shitty/non-existent QA/internal beta tester department. Jay Wilson nearly killed the Diablo franchise and they reward him by making him the lead designer of WoW.

Did you even take a look at their actual job listings: http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/careers/posting.html?id=15000KB ? I guess it's exactly what you expected right?
On top of that, they hire people they meet and make an impression, as it happens everywhere. For example, the guys you mentioned, Tigole and Furor wouldn't even have worked on WoW if it wasn't for that. Everquest raider certainly doesn't qualify you for anything more than QA.

Hell, did you even look at Jay Wilson's resume? And how do you know he ruined the D3 franchise, because that's what the meme trends say?
Are you sure it was him making the controversial decisions and not Rob Pardo who was his boss? Do you have even the slightest clue what his job entitled?
How do you explain his replacement leading D3 is his Relic buddy if they thought that school of design ruined the franchise?

As I said, right on par with gaming journalists...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Chris Metzen leaves Blizzard and retires from the game industry.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749157269#post-1

I had just turned twenty years old when I started working at Blizzard. Seems like a lifetime ago. Guess it was. Those first few years were the start of a very grand adventure for me, one that would take me around the world, introduce me to thousands of wonderful geeks just like me—and ultimately shape the course of my adult life.

Of course when I started, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I had no idea how to make games or build entertainment products.…

But I had an insatiable passion for ideas. For stories. For heroes.

My only real training before joining Blizzard was the long-running D&D campaign I had with my closest friends—Sam, Mike P., Daniel, and Mikey C. (you know who you are, boys…HAMRO!). Building ideas—vast worldscapes, characters, and plotlines with my friends was my first great love. I lived for it. It was a safe space amid the tension and change of some rough teenage years. The grand refuge of D&D was a glorious meeting of minds and imaginations where I felt I truly belonged.

It was a space where friendship and imagination were inextricably linked.

The sharing of ideas on the fly, the crazy, unexpected turns other players would take—it stretched our imaginations in ways we’d never have dreamt of on our own. I loved how roleplaying through adventures taught us so much about each other—and, more often than not, ourselves. Imagining together helped us make sense of the crazy world we were growing up in. It made us stronger together.

I wouldn’t really understand the depth of it for many years, but I had learned an important truth from my friends back then:

Creativity is relational.

Looking back at my years at Blizzard, I see now how profoundly this idea has shaped my career. I see how profoundly my friends and coworkers at Blizzard have shaped me as a person.

For nearly twenty-three years I’ve had the very distinct privilege of shaping worlds and building games with the brightest creative minds in entertainment. I’ve walked with giants (and stood on some giants’ shoulders, too).

In short, I’ve had the time of my life.

I pretty much had the coolest job ever—but the truth is, sometimes it was really hard. Building games with dozens of brilliant, passionate alpha-geeks with their own red-hot instincts and perspectives can be pretty tricky. Coming to consensus about certain design decisions, story motifs, or courses of art direction takes a lot of communication, patience, and “give and take.” It stretches you. Sometimes it wasn’t all that pretty. But engaging with your teammates and collaborating through the potential quagmire of all that creative tension is where the real magic happens.

It’s not just the decisions you come to—or even the final shape of the product you craft.… It’s bigger than that—and infinitely more important. True collaboration builds trust—and trust is the basis of all lasting relationships. With trust you build more than just a great product.

You build a TRIBE…that can build anything.

A family of craftsmen.

That’s what Blizzard has been for me. My second family, through all of life’s ups and downs, it’s always been there. The great, geeky backdrop of my life. I don’t just mean “the job” or even the creative mission—but the people. The people who over and over lifted me up, believed in me—and pushed me to find my potential as both an artist and as a leader all these years.

To my Blizzard brothers and sisters…I wish I had the words.

Everything just sounds…trite.

All I can think of is…

You helped me believe in myself and achieve every one of my wildest dreams.
I am forever grateful to you.

I love you all with everything I’ve got.

Thank you.

And to all of you out there in Blizzard’s vast gaming community—those of you I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in person and all of you around the world I’ve only heard about—thank you.

Thank you all for letting me be a special part of your community. For letting me belong with you. We’ve shared countless adventures together and I’ve always been overwhelmed and humbled by your passion for our games as well your commitment to each other. Thank you for all the BlizzCon hugs, smiles, handshakes, and stories over the years. You will never know how much you’ve all touched my heart and inspired me to give my all into this craft.

With that said, I’ll try to get down to the point, here. I’ve come to a turn in the road. A new, far quieter chapter in my life looms ahead.

I am retiring.

Yup.

Hangin’ up my guns.
Clockin’ out.
Takin’ the last gryphon out of Stormwind.
You get the picture.

Crazy, I know.

It’s a massive change for me, but it’s one I’ve been looking forward to for a while now. It’s ironic given the fact that things have never been better or more energized at Blizzard. Just this year alone has been incredible.

Legion’s arrival.
The launch of Overwatch.
The Warcraft feature film.

I’ve never been more proud of Blizzard and the quality of its products than I am now. It’s remarkable that even after all these years we can still reach new heights and take the world for an amazing ride. I believe Blizzard’s future is brighter than ever.

I won’t lie—it’s going to be really hard stepping away from these worlds that I love. But I’m content that I’m leaving them in the hands of the most passionate, talented, and dedicated craftsmen ever assembled.

I can’t wait to see where Blizzard’s worlds go next—and to experience them first-hand like everyone else does. As a fan. As an adventurer. Right back to the start.

That’s just so cool…

The reason I use the word “retire” is because I’m not going to some other company or starting up new projects or anything remotely like that. It’s been a long, amazing stretch of years. Now it’s time to slow it down. Rest. Lay around on the couch and get fat. Well, fatter.…

Seriously though, I’ll be focusing on the one thing that matters most to me in all the world—my family. They’re the core of my life and the source of my deepest joy and inspiration. In addition to raising our two little ones, we recently welcomed our new baby into the family! Being home with them all, having time and space to really live…to love my wife with all my strength…that’s my career now.

And I’ve never been happier.

Ever. ☺

Peace out, y’all.

I love you all.

I’ll see you online.

Chris

They do know how to elegantly and cleverly streamline other people's ideas: Wow/Everquest, Hearthstone/Magic, Warcraft/Dune2, Overwatch/TF2 or whatever.
But then, they can't help becoming too greedy and pushing it too far, and it all falls apart from an erudite point of view.
So what do they do? They stir the shit up and laugh at the butthurt all the way to the bank.
Elitists howl and scream but can't let it go.
They don't care about prestige anymore.
It has become EA, though they still care about some kind of brand recognition.
They will soon don't give a fuck, and they'll thrive as an efficient corporation.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Sad news, indeed. Chris has contributed to some amazing games over the years, but alas, it's time to step down.

Albeit, his work on SC2 could have been better. The story and direction lacked something that the originals had.

Blizzard was built with him, he made alot of great shit. I will miss him. He always seemed very energetic.

Blizzard is a changed company from what it was in the 90's, but it's still one of the best companies around.

Overwatch is a big success, Heroes of the storm is the best MOBA out there, diablo 3 is still going strong, and so is WoW and warcraft 3.

Not to talk about SC2 and the huge RTS e-sports following, eventho the singleplayer component was p. bad.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
The blood haze has lifted… The demon's fire has burnt out in my veins. I… have… freed… myself.

abija

Prophet
TBC almost killed WoW but you rose tinted fucks probably don't remember their knee jerk reaction before release of BT. TBC is solely responsible for the massive difficulty drop in WotLK in anything but end game raiding.
You ejaculate remembering the challenging heroics (because you were bad mostly) but forget TBC introduced the "can't get lost even if you tried" dungeon design and the "follow the quest hubs" world design.

Btw Pardo is responsable for D3 AH and the SC2 ladder tweaks (making it non-hardcore friendly).

Heroes of the storm is the best MOBA out there

:prosper:

diablo 3 is still going strong

No one plays d3, like seriously, grim dawn has more people playing online.

Not to talk about SC2 and the huge RTS e-sports following, eventho the singleplayer component was p. bad

Yet 80% of people played SP and dropped it, e-sport scene is pretty much dead.

Overwatch is good tho, so there's at least one thing that you got right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom