Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard Entertainment

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-06-blizzard-isnt-planning-to-remaster-warcraft-1-and-2

Blizzard isn't planning to remaster Warcraft 1 and 2

Blizzard has no plans to remaster the first two games in the Warcraft series, said the company's co-founder, Frank Pearce.

Pearce was part of a special 25th anniversary panel at this year's Blizzcon, which concluded with one of those wonderfully unpredictable Q&A sessions. It was at this point the question was raised by Blizzard fan, Jack.

"We are fortunate enough to have all of the original source code and assets to everything we've done in the past," explained Pearce. "But actually, it turns out, it's really hard to access that stuff, unlock it, and figure out how it all works. Because we're old, we've forgotten.

"We had some dedicated folks that were passionate about the idea, dig up the Warcraft 1 assets and code. They got it working and they got it running in a window. And I played it. Warcraft: Orcs & Humans was awesome for its time. I promise you, in today's world, by today's standards, it's just not that fun anymore.

"We have limited resources with everything that we choose to do. We would much rather work on amazing content for World of Warcraft for you guys, or for Overwatch, or evaluating what a future project pipeline might be and devote our time to that, rather than going back and digging up those fossils."

Fellow co-founder and Blizzard president, Mike Morhaime, was quick to jump in at this stage and add the words: "At this time!"

But yes, despite news that Diablo 3 will be receiving an update adding reworked content from the original Diablo game, for now at least, Warcraft 1 and 2 will remain in the past.

"We totally appreciate your enthusiasm for those old games," said Pearce. "We love them too."

All those shitty rumors yet again buried. Bet Starcraft HD isn't gonna happen, either.

Don Peste

Arcane
Warcraft: Orcs & Humans

I promise you it's just not that fun anymore

rather work on amazing content for World of Warcraft for you guys

than digging up those fossils

We love them too
giphy.gif

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well he is right....Warcraft 1 wasn't exactly a miracle when it came out, it was basically a worse and clunkier knockoff Dune 2. Today it would be a total joke.

Starcraft is in a completely different league, it was a revelation when it came out and it's still a great game. And you don't really need Starcraft HD, there's a mod that let's you play SC1 in the SC2 engine and I promise, you don't need anything more.

Well he is right....Warcraft 1 wasn't exactly a miracle when it came out, it was basically a worse and clunkier knockoff Dune 2. Today it would be a total joke.

Starcraft is in a completely different league, it was a revelation when it came out and it's still a great game. And you don't really need Starcraft HD, there's a mod that let's you play SC1 in the SC2 engine and I promise, you don't need anything more.

Warcraft is the game that put them on the map. It would be a nice gesture to those first Blizzard fans - the ones who made it so they could continue existing past 1994 - to not treat it like it's an "old fossil." Joke today or not - it was still an important game for the company.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Warcraft is the game that put them on the map. It would be a nice gesture to those first Blizzard fans - the ones who made it so they could continue existing past 1994 - to not treat it like it's an "old fossil." Joke today or not - it was still an important game for the company.

It is an old fossil, average at best and completely irrelevant for today. And the game that really put them on the map was Diablo. Warcraft wasn't that popular, I still remember most people made fun of it more than anything else - back then brazen copying of other people's ideas was not as common as today.

If anything they should sit down and think about Warcraft 4, an RTS for the 21. century. SC2 is a good game but it's obvious it's just an old concept in a new coat of paint. Warcraft 3 reinvented the RTS genre pretty drastically. If they could pull it off again with W4 it'd be schweet.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Speaking of Blizzard, it looks like in their Diablo anniversary video they've used screens from mods of both Diablo 1 and 2. They've just typed "diablo ui" in Google and picked one of the first results. :neveraskedforthis:

Wwhv2ZJ.jpg

zcSUER6.png

hello friend

Arcane
A gesture that costs money and takes up devtime for what has to be a tiny minority of their playerbase at this point.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-06-blizzard-isnt-planning-to-remaster-warcraft-1-and-2

Blizzard isn't planning to remaster Warcraft 1 and 2

All those shitty rumors yet again buried. Bet Starcraft HD isn't gonna happen, either.

I don't think they really need to remaster those games; they'd probably manage to make them worse somehow.

HOWEVER, simply uploading them to Battle.net and selling them for like $10 should at least be worth doing.. I know they have WC3 and D2 up there, it really couldn't take much effort to copy the others over to battle.net and have them up there digitally.

Unrelated but I really hate how they've been pushing e-sports so much lately. I'm fine with an E-sports community growing organically around a fun game but when they design games from the ground up with Twitch and E-Sports being a major goal I think they often end up with homogenized and over-balanced games.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, a very dissapointing Blizzcon not a suprise though.
I, for one, am happy that they are not touching classic games. They're perfect the way I remember them, no need to butcher D1-2 and WC1-2 looks/aesthetics/atmosphere. Nu Blizz is not capable reaching that high imho.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
P. disappointing blizzcon, I have to say. I thought we would be getting alot more.. eh

Astral Rag

Arcane
We had some dedicated folks that were passionate about the idea, dig up the Warcraft 1 assets and code. They got it working and they got it running in a window. And I played it. Warcraft: Orcs & Humans was awesome for its time. I promise you, in today's world, by today's standards, it's just not that fun anymore.

The key to understanding modern Blizzard Entertainment and the decline of so-called AAA gaming in general.

plRdc2J.gif

We would much rather work on amazing content for World of Warcraft for you guys, or for Overwatch, rather than going back and digging up those fossils.
qMzCrCj.png

Overwatch-Microtransactions.png

"We totally appreciate your enthusiasm for those old games," said Pearce. "We love them too."

:deathclaw:

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't know much about Warcraft 1 but Warcraft 2 was as big as Command and Conquer when i was a kid. I think that's the game that put Blizzard on the map, not Diablo.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
"We had some dedicated folks that were passionate about the idea, dig up the Warcraft 1 assets and code. They got it working and they got it running in a window. And I played it. Warcraft: Orcs & Humans was awesome for its time. I promise you, in today's world, by today's standards, it's just not that fun anymore.

LoL, do a fucking sequel then!!!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

The key to understanding modern Blizzard Entertainment

We have limited resources

plRdc2J.gif

This shit just makes my blood boil. The game isn't supposed to meet "today's standards" (whatever the fuck those are), you fucking hipster cretin. The whole point of releasing the damn thing would be to please your older fans, or anyone curious about the history of games (do we throw older movies into the dumbster because they don't meet today's cinematic standards?). You've done the work, you made the game play on modern computers. Just put the damn thing as a digital download and be done with it. How hard can it be?

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
I tried replaying WC1 a few years ago. It's a nightmare to try and play these days. I remember playing and beating it way back in the day, but forgot how when I tried playing it a few years ago. I ended up dying on the third or forth mission. You can only select 4 units. There's no attack move command. You kind of have to just line up your army outside an enemy base. Footmen in front, tons of archers in back, because once I attacked the Orcs base it pulled all the Orcs in the base toward my army and once they beat my puny army they all went after my base. Sort of surreal. It was just so difficult and frustrating trying to control individual units. It would be nice to play the old game and be able to select more units and attack and move without changing the graphics, sound effects and other stuff but doubt it's possible without a complete remake.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Then there is Dune 2, you can only control 1 unit :D Those fucking misslle launchers and soninc tanks were murdering my own units and structures when a sandworm appears behind them...
Those were the days!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
A WC1 and WC2 remake/remastder would be awesome. Honestly, the reason for not doing them are bullshit. Blizzard have tons of ressources, they need to get off their fat asses and do something for the fans, instead of making DLC and micro buys with WoW pets and other stupid shit.

It's the pokemon go age of kids that want this.

Dux

Arcane
Just release them raw on Steam or whatever and wash your hands off it, Frank Pearce. Then you can move on with your life and forget that they even existed.

http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/the-making-of-warcraft-part-1
When I first implemented the feature it was possible to select and control large numbers of units at a time; there was no upper limit on the number of units that could be selected.

Later in the development process, and after many design arguments between team-members, we decided to allow players to select only four units at a time based on the idea that users would be required to pay attention to their tactical deployments rather than simply gathering a mob and sending them into the fray all at once.

GrainWetski

Arcane
No, it's clearly a technical limitation, like turn-based combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom