Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard gone full popamole: Cans D3 PvP

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Lol, so much development time and resources, and yet they can't figure out how to make PvP work? What the fuck have they been doing all these years?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lol, so much development time and resources, and yet they can't figure out how to make PvP work? What the fuck have they been doing all these years?
I honestly have to wonder. I mean, yes, Blizzard games are exceptionally polished, but developers with a tenth the resources of Blizzard could put out a game a year at the rate they go. I guess when you don't have fear of being fired and no hard release date, plus a blank check for a budget, it's easy to keep fucking with things knowing that you're only adding to the game's hype in the process. I mean, I guess World of Warcraft and StarCraft II took away some resources, but it's absurd how much time and money they just piss down the drain.

Kraszu

Prophet
I honestly have to wonder. I mean, yes, Blizzard games are exceptionally polished, but developers with a tenth the resources of Blizzard could put out a game a year at the rate they go. I guess when you don't have fear of being fired and no hard release date, plus a blank check for a budget, it's easy to keep fucking with things knowing that you're only adding to the game's hype in the process. I mean, I guess World of Warcraft and StarCraft II took away some resources, but it's absurd how much time and money they just piss down the drain.

Blizzard actually has pretty small development teams:

"The team devoted to StarCraft II consisted of only about 40 developers in 2008,[34] including twelve people who worked on the original StarCraft.[58] The team consists of four or five managers, 12-14 programmers, 8-10 artists and the rest consist of designers. It has its own internal leadership structure.[59] A "couple" of ex-progamers are part of the team, working on balance issues such as mutalisk micromanagement[28] and creating strategies against each other.[45] By June 2009 the team had expanded to about 50 members[60] and by August it had expanded to 60 members.[61]"

Just because they are swimming in money it doesn't mean that they spend it, just look at all the people claiming that WoW success is good because Blizzard will make more other games for that money vs reality, or at Valve.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Blizzard in the past would've delayed the release of the game for as long as they need to so that they can get all the features in and tweak them to be just right. This shit smells of Activision.

Edit: Wait, there are still people who think Diablo 3 will be Blizzards first attempt at the console market? Need we go through Blizzards history again?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

abija

Prophet
Blizzard in the past would've delayed the release of the game for as long as they need to so that they can get all the features in and tweak them to be just right. This shit smells of Activision.?
They always cut a lot that's why their expansions were so good.
And there's no PR firm in the world that could save them if they would announce a delay for 6-12 months to polish PvP, especially when it's this artificial arena system not proper PvP.

attackfighter

Magister

"The team devoted to StarCraft II consisted of only about 40 developers in 2008,[34] including twelve people who worked on the original StarCraft.[58] The team consists of four or five managers, 12-14 programmers, 8-10 artists and the rest consist of designers. It has its own internal leadership structure.[59] A "couple" of ex-progamers are part of the team, working on balance issues such as mutalisk micromanagement[28] and creating strategies against each other.[45] By June 2009 the team had expanded to about 50 members[60] and by August it had expanded to 60 members.[61]"

Just because they are swimming in money it doesn't mean that they spend it, just look at all the people claiming that WoW success is good because Blizzard will make more other games for that money vs reality, or at Valve.

They spent tons of money on SC2. I think it was 200 million, although I may be just thinking of the marketing budget here.

Kraszu

Prophet

They spent tons of money on SC2. I think it was 200 million, although I may be just thinking of the marketing budget here.

You are probably thinking about this:

http://kotaku.com/5594862/starcraft-ii-did-not-cost-100-million-to-make

"Apparently the WSJ got its games mixed up. The $100 million-plus figure in the article referred to the development and upkeep of World of Warcraft, its massively-multiplayer online game. The numbers are based off figures we reported on two years ago."

Blizzard doesn't even spend much on WoW.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Diablo PvP was ass. This is the one thing about D3 that wouldn't bother me at all.

The reasons I'm highly unlikely to buy Diablo 3 are different... mostly stemming from the fact that it looks like it was made by a third-world version of Blizzard.

catfood

AGAIN
I can see it now:

Blizzard: no PvP in D3 guys, sry

Blizztards: OH NOES WHY U DONT LOVE US NO MORE BLIZZ???

Blizzard: alright, alright, just for you guys we're making a day 1 PvP DLC

Blizztards: thank u Blizz, u r teh bestest

attackfighter

Magister

You are probably thinking about this:

http://kotaku.com/5594862/starcraft-ii-did-not-cost-100-million-to-make

"Apparently the WSJ got its games mixed up. The $100 million-plus figure in the article referred to the development and upkeep of World of Warcraft, its massively-multiplayer online game. The numbers are based off figures we reported on two years ago."

Blizzard doesn't even spend much on WoW.

Yeah that might be it. But still they worked on it for a pretty long time and their marketing was quite extreme.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Really, it seems Blizzard has no idea of what they are doing anymore...this game has been in development for fucking years, and like 2 months before launch they abandon the whole PvP, and completly change the character stats, identification system, skills, NPCs, enchanting/socket and even itens like the Recall Stone and that Nelphalem Cube. WTF?

It probably has to do with Senior Designer Steve Parker leaving the team on January. They've completly changed a lot of stuff that was set in stone for years on previews just after he left. Some huge fights must have occured, and it's easy to see who lost...

Shannow

Waster of Time
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/02/29/blizzard-laying-off-600-staff-globally/
Right. Seems more like they threw out the guys who were supposed to develop PvP ;)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Maybe the mass-firings was meant to light a fire under the ass of the remaining developers, so they would take their job a bit more seriously?

Destroid

Arcane
I can't be assed to google the quote from the activision guy about making devs fearful to increase productivity, I'm sure you all remember the gist of it.

The only thing that looked even moderately interesting about D3 for me was the fact that we might get Nox-style PvP. Now the game is full on :decline: heading towards the center of the earth.

bonescraper

Blizzard games are exceptionally polished
Oh shut up for fuck's sake with that stupid mantra. Have you played the latest (2 days old) build of D3 beta? There's constant stuttering they can't fix since, like, forever, and i'm talking about uber PC's (i7 + GTX560), not some low-end shit. And that's in a game with 2006 graphics. And bugs. Yes, bugs. Yesterday for example, my wizard's frost ray bugged so i couldn't pick anything, attack anything etc. i couldn't even leave the fucking game through the menu so i had to Alt+F4 it. That's some serious shit for a game nearing it's release. It's unoptimized, buggy and smaller in scope than many other games - for example, Fallout: New Vegas. Nothing to be proud of.

Steve

Augur
I havent really followed Diablo 3 but are arenas the only option they give for PVP? Cant you just join a game and declare hostility to everybody else like in D2?

Blizzard games are exceptionally polished
Oh shut up for fuck's sake with that stupid mantra. Have you played the latest (2 days old) build of D3 beta? There's constant stuttering they can't fix since, like, forever, and i'm talking about uber PC's (i7 + GTX560), not some low-end shit. And that's in a game with 2006 graphics. And bugs. Yes, bugs. Yesterday for example, my wizard's frost ray bugged so i couldn't pick anything, attack anything etc. i couldn't even leave the fucking game through the menu so i had to Alt+F4 it. That's some serious shit for a game nearing it's release. It's unoptimized, buggy and smaller in scope than many other games - for example, Fallout: New Vegas. Nothing to be proud of.

Might have something to do that its still in the beta and probably has some debugging software running underneath, I havent played a blizzard game that wasn't well polished and optimized.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom