Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard gone full popamole: Cans D3 PvP

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by raw, Mar 10, 2012.

1. raw Arcane

raw
    ^ Top  
  2. Wulfstand Arbiter

Wulfstand
    Well it's not like I'll actually be able to play the pvp, ifyouknowwhatimean.:balance:
    likaq and anus_pounder Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  3. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    MCA
    Lol, so much development time and resources, and yet they can't figure out how to make PvP work? What the fuck have they been doing all these years?
    ^ Top  
  4. sea Prestigious Gentleman I support InXile

sea
    I honestly have to wonder. I mean, yes, Blizzard games are exceptionally polished, but developers with a tenth the resources of Blizzard could put out a game a year at the rate they go. I guess when you don't have fear of being fired and no hard release date, plus a blank check for a budget, it's easy to keep fucking with things knowing that you're only adding to the game's hype in the process. I mean, I guess World of Warcraft and StarCraft II took away some resources, but it's absurd how much time and money they just piss down the drain.
    ^ Top  
  5. Konjad Dwarf Patron

Konjad
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    what does it have to do with popamole?
    ^ Top  
  6. raw Arcane

raw
    D3 will be blizzards entry to the console market. everything that is done to the game is in light of making it accessible to the mouthbreathers.
    ^ Top  
  7. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    Blizzard actually has pretty small development teams:

"The team devoted to StarCraft II consisted of only about 40 developers in 2008,[34] including twelve people who worked on the original StarCraft.[58] The team consists of four or five managers, 12-14 programmers, 8-10 artists and the rest consist of designers. It has its own internal leadership structure.[59] A "couple" of ex-progamers are part of the team, working on balance issues such as mutalisk micromanagement[28] and creating strategies against each other.[45] By June 2009 the team had expanded to about 50 members[60] and by August it had expanded to 60 members.[61]"

Just because they are swimming in money it doesn't mean that they spend it, just look at all the people claiming that WoW success is good because Blizzard will make more other games for that money vs reality, or at Valve.
    ^ Top  
  8. Hobo Elf Magister

Hobo Elf
    The cardboard box you threw out the other day
    Blizzard in the past would've delayed the release of the game for as long as they need to so that they can get all the features in and tweak them to be just right. This shit smells of Activision.

Edit: Wait, there are still people who think Diablo 3 will be Blizzards first attempt at the console market? Need we go through Blizzards history again?
    ^ Top  
  9. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    a PvP dlc would be cool
    ^ Top  
  10. MaroonSkein Prestigious Gentleman Augur

MaroonSkein
    Yes, but what does it have to do with popamole?
    ^ Top  
  11. raw Arcane

raw
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=popamole
    ^ Top  
  12. abija Learned

abija
    They always cut a lot that's why their expansions were so good.
    And there's no PR firm in the world that could save them if they would announce a delay for 6-12 months to polish PvP, especially when it's this artificial arena system not proper PvP.
    ^ Top  
  13. attackfighter Liturgist

attackfighter
    They spent tons of money on SC2. I think it was 200 million, although I may be just thinking of the marketing budget here.
    ^ Top  
  14. zerotol Prestigious Gentleman Dumbfuck! Patron Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Dumbfuck Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Zionist Agent Repressed Homosexual Pretty Princess Possibly Retarded White Knight Übermensch Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy Beg Auditor Trigger Warning Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride Edgy No Fun Allowed Shitposter

zerotol
    Don't worry it will be day 0 DLC :troll:
    ^ Top  
  15. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    You are probably thinking about this:

http://kotaku.com/5594862/starcraft-ii-did-not-cost-100-million-to-make

"Apparently the WSJ got its games mixed up. The $100 million-plus figure in the article referred to the development and upkeep of World of Warcraft, its massively-multiplayer online game. The numbers are based off figures we reported on two years ago."

Blizzard doesn't even spend much on WoW.
    ^ Top  
  16. shihonage You see: shelter.

shihonage
    Diablo PvP was ass. This is the one thing about D3 that wouldn't bother me at all.

The reasons I'm highly unlikely to buy Diablo 3 are different... mostly stemming from the fact that it looks like it was made by a third-world version of Blizzard.
    ^ Top  
  17. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    I can see it now:

Blizzard: no PvP in D3 guys, sry

Blizztards: OH NOES WHY U DONT LOVE US NO MORE BLIZZ???

Blizzard: alright, alright, just for you guys we're making a day 1 PvP DLC

Blizztards: thank u Blizz, u r teh bestest
    Ed123 Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  18. attackfighter Liturgist

attackfighter
    Yeah that might be it. But still they worked on it for a pretty long time and their marketing was quite extreme.
    ^ Top  
  19. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Really, it seems Blizzard has no idea of what they are doing anymore...this game has been in development for fucking years, and like 2 months before launch they abandon the whole PvP, and completly change the character stats, identification system, skills, NPCs, enchanting/socket and even itens like the Recall Stone and that Nelphalem Cube. WTF?

It probably has to do with Senior Designer Steve Parker leaving the team on January. They've completly changed a lot of stuff that was set in stone for years on previews just after he left. Some huge fights must have occured, and it's easy to see who lost...
    ^ Top  
  20. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/02/29/blizzard-laying-off-600-staff-globally/
    Right. Seems more like they threw out the guys who were supposed to develop PvP ;)
    ^ Top  
  21. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    MCA
    Maybe the mass-firings was meant to light a fire under the ass of the remaining developers, so they would take their job a bit more seriously?
    ^ Top  
  22. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    I can't be assed to google the quote from the activision guy about making devs fearful to increase productivity, I'm sure you all remember the gist of it.
    ^ Top  
  23. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    The only thing that looked even moderately interesting about D3 for me was the fact that we might get Nox-style PvP. Now the game is full on :decline: heading towards the center of the earth.
    ^ Top  
  24. Renegen Prophet

Renegen
    ^ Top  
  25. bonescraper Arcane Patron

bonescraper
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands
    Oh shut up for fuck's sake with that stupid mantra. Have you played the latest (2 days old) build of D3 beta? There's constant stuttering they can't fix since, like, forever, and i'm talking about uber PC's (i7 + GTX560), not some low-end shit. And that's in a game with 2006 graphics. And bugs. Yes, bugs. Yesterday for example, my wizard's frost ray bugged so i couldn't pick anything, attack anything etc. i couldn't even leave the fucking game through the menu so i had to Alt+F4 it. That's some serious shit for a game nearing it's release. It's unoptimized, buggy and smaller in scope than many other games - for example, Fallout: New Vegas. Nothing to be proud of.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)