Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard gone full popamole: Cans D3 PvP

Castanova

Prophet
Are you people fucking retarded? Activision can't light a fire under Blizzard's ass... Activision doesn't own Blizzard and wields no power. They are sister companies, both owned by Vivendi.

Anyway, this is good news, not bad. Previously, they were planning on shipping with a random, half-assed arena PvP implementation. Now it sounds like they're going to go balls out on it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Are you people fucking retarded? Activision can't light a fire under Blizzard's ass... Activision doesn't own Blizzard and wields no power. They are sister companies, both owned by Vivendi.

Anyway, this is good news, not bad. Previously, they were planning on shipping with a random, half-assed arena PvP implementation. Now it sounds like they're going to go balls out on it.

What the fuck am I even reading here? Blizzards management was changed completely when they were merged with Activision. Of course they are affecting the way Blizzard works. Don't be a pleb.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Blizzard games are exceptionally polished
Oh shut up for fuck's sake with that stupid mantra. Have you played the latest (2 days old) build of D3 beta? There's constant stuttering they can't fix since, like, forever, and i'm talking about uber PC's (i7 + GTX560), not some low-end shit. And that's in a game with 2006 graphics. And bugs. Yes, bugs. Yesterday for example, my wizard's frost ray bugged so i couldn't pick anything, attack anything etc. i couldn't even leave the fucking game through the menu so i had to Alt+F4 it. That's some serious shit for a game nearing it's release. It's unoptimized, buggy and smaller in scope than many other games - for example, Fallout: New Vegas. Nothing to be proud of.

Might have something to do that its still in the beta and probably has some debugging software running underneath, I havent played a blizzard game that wasn't well polished and optimized.
Nope, it's clearly the server connection. it can't stream the data fast enough so you've got stuttering and freezing. But you can be damn sure it'll take ages to crack. That's worth it, IMO :M

Black

Arcane
I remember D2 1.09 pvp. So many fucking community rules for each match-up that you had to write and read, and with each new patch shit'd change. That rune-word bad, that skill bad, that weapon bad, bad bad bad bad bad, fun fun fun fun fun.

If they can somehow balance pvp in D3 (which I doubt) then go ahead, but it'll better come in a patch, not in an expansion/dlc.

bonescraper

I havent really followed Diablo 3 but are arenas the only option they give for PVP? Cant you just join a game and declare hostility to everybody else like in D2?

Blizzard games are exceptionally polished
Oh shut up for fuck's sake with that stupid mantra. Have you played the latest (2 days old) build of D3 beta? There's constant stuttering they can't fix since, like, forever, and i'm talking about uber PC's (i7 + GTX560), not some low-end shit. And that's in a game with 2006 graphics. And bugs. Yes, bugs. Yesterday for example, my wizard's frost ray bugged so i couldn't pick anything, attack anything etc. i couldn't even leave the fucking game through the menu so i had to Alt+F4 it. That's some serious shit for a game nearing it's release. It's unoptimized, buggy and smaller in scope than many other games - for example, Fallout: New Vegas. Nothing to be proud of.

Might have something to do that its still in the beta and probably has some debugging software running underneath, I havent played a blizzard game that wasn't well polished and optimized.
So you don't know shit about Diablo 3, but somehow you're entitled to make up excuses for Blizzard out of thin air? What makes you different from a Biodrone?

Blizzard's official response to the stuttering issue? "We can't reproduce it on our 580 GTX with a SSD, DURR HURR". Deal with it.

As of today, this game runs like shit, looks like shit and is pretty bug-ridden. Moreover, it's so polished, it barely resembles Diablo at all. Everything has been either streamlined, dumbed down or completely cut out. I guess that's what you should expect after 4 years of mindless polishing.

A free to play, indie game has way more depth and less issues than this AAA, "overpolished" piece of turd known as Diablo 3. That's how "great" Blizzard is nowadays.

Steve

Augur
Closed beta is a pretty good excuse for things to not work as well as you would like for them to work, you dildo.

bonescraper

Yes, of course. You can't judge a game until you've bought it at least 7 times. Go back to your battle.net circle jerking friends.

Steve

Augur
You cant judge the technical performance of an unfinished videogame, I guess all the "preorder to enter betatest" marketing schemes have spoiled you and you dont even know what a beta test is anymore.

Black

Arcane
To be fair, it's hard to tell the difference between a beta and a demo nowadays, since most of the shit in beta doesn't get fixed.

Steve

Augur
To be fair, it's hard to tell the difference between a beta and a demo nowadays, since most of the shit in beta doesn't get fixed.

Yep, open beta is mostly used for demo purposes nowadays.

bonescraper

I know the purpose of beta testing. That's why there's a shit-ton of player feedback about the stuttering issue. And it haven't been resolved to this day... since, like, the very start of the beta. But, obviously, they had the time to make way less important fixes - like making the wizard armor set look less retarded. That makes you fucking wonder.

So, my point stands. You can't judge a game unless you've bought it. And if it runs like shit, deal with it, because all that beta testing time was wasted on making nicer wizard hats.

Anyway, i'm done talking to newfag fanboys, there's obviously no point in that. Have a nice day.

Angthoron

Arcane
So er, not to say that your point about stuttering is moot, but do you want graphic designers to sift through the code in search of the problem's source? Should voice actors and server support staff help them?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Blizzard actually has pretty small development teams:

"The team devoted to StarCraft II consisted of only about 40 developers in 2008,[34] including twelve people who worked on the original StarCraft.[58] The team consists of four or five managers, 12-14 programmers, 8-10 artists and the rest consist of designers. It has its own internal leadership structure.[59] A "couple" of ex-progamers are part of the team, working on balance issues such as mutalisk micromanagement[28] and creating strategies against each other.[45] By June 2009 the team had expanded to about 50 members[60] and by August it had expanded to 60 members.[61]"
Interesting. But then again, their games are also very much in "slow burn" mode for most of development; I have to bet they pile on more and more near the end of the project, probably well over 150. Also, core team sizes almost never reflect final credits. I'd be very surprised if Blizzard did absolutely no outsourcing - almost any game you find, even ones worked on by "small" teams, end up having half their assets produced by other developers (a lot of them in China etc.).

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/02/29/blizzard-laying-off-600-staff-globally/
Right. Seems more like they threw out the guys who were supposed to develop PvP ;)
Almost certain that's support staff related to World of Warcraft and not their core development staff. The game has been dropping massive subscriber numbers lately and they're probably cutting servers, tech support, customer service, administration, etc. around the game.

Optimization usually comes at the end of development, not during it. The beta is a beta (though to be honest alpha would be more accurate at this stage) and does not reflect the final product. When they are still building game content and tweaking mechanics, they're not going to be putting heavy emphasis on squeezing every last ounce of performance out of it. Judge the final product, not the unfinished preview build.

For what it's worth, I played the beta. I had these same problems as you for a while, then after an update, everything ran perfectly for me. I haven't played it in a couple months so maybe the bug was reintroduced? As far as their own internal tests go, my guess is the game has yet to go through a proper QA pass and they probably just checked it on one or two systems to see if they could replicated it - and if they couldn't, then what, are you going to call them liars or something? This is the kind of stuff that usually comes together in the last few months of development for almost every game.

Eyeball

Arcane
in hack and slash RPGs like Diablo or MMOs, victory in PvP goes to the player who's spent the most time grinding XP and gear. "Skill" plays an extremely minor part of it.

PvP in RPGs is for faggots. Good riddance to it.

MapMan

Arcane
I have only one thing to say: The fact that people ask what d3 has to do with popamole is only the sign that brobert doesn't post often enough.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
1677721-689cfedf4da4270a472b7e6ee0eab835_diablo.jpg

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Blizzard today is almost an entirely different company from the Blizzard that released Diablo II. I don't think this is anymore surprising than the Korean MMO-inspired armor sets, Rainbow Bright attacks, the real currency auction house, or any of the other shit I've read about this game.

Diablo II would be a strong contender for the "Game I've Spent the Most Time Playing' award, but I'm not even interested in this one.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I visited a friend who participates in the BETA. He showed it to me.

You can't give skill points, you gain all skills and can use all of them. You dont need to find runes they get awarded on levelups. You don't need to do anything but click. There is no standalone screens for stats, they are shows next to your inventory.

Also the game is incredibly easy (given this is on normal so...) .

The graphics look very meh, most probably to make sure that anyone with a pc thats isn't an ancient piece of shit can play this game. The textures look very very low resolution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom