Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard makes Blackthorne freeware (UPD: And now The Lost Vikings too)

Grim Monk

Arcane
Blizzard makes Blackthorne Freeware:

BlackthorneSNES.jpg

"Have you ever heard of Blackthorne? Originally released in 1994 for the SNES, this classic platformer was the one of the first titles to be released under the name Blizzard Entertainment.

And now, it appears as though the game can be had for free.

Head to your Battle.net account, and hit the Download Game Clients page, under the Games & Codes tab.
At the bottom is a new section titled Classic Games, and Blackthorne can be downloaded for Windows absolutely free.
"
News Source: http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/10/31/blizzard-classic-blackthorne-now-available-for-free-download/

Also you don't need to register a account.
Got to:

https://us.battle.net/account/download/
Scroll down to the bottom, and there is the download link.

It's a self-contained installer for modern systems, so no messing around in DOSBox is required.

J1M

Arcane
They must be reviving the IP and trying to generate interest in it. Now the only question is if they will just be adding a skin to Heroes of the Storm or making a new (facebook phone) Blackthorne game.

Eyeball

Arcane
Blackthorne 2 would be darned cool.

If made by pre-WoW Blizzard.

Koschey

Arcane
Whatever their reasons, freeware Blackthorne is nothing I'll complain about.
:thumbsup:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This game was a dumb and stupid popamole Flashback wannabe.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Gave it a spin today, for the first time in almost 20 years. I have to agree with Roguey. It has NOT aged well. Sure it was awesomely cool when it was released, but the gameplay is paper-thin, the controls clunky and the music horrendous.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Game is okay. No idea why people spooge over it, though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This was later than flashback? Guess i was really out of it in 1992

It's a self-contained installer for modern systems, so no messing around in DOSBox is required.
cool story bro

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I know that the 32X version had an extra level. I also know that I didn't finish the game because it was too tedious.

GeorgeWood

Educated
I really hope this means Blizzard is injecting some juices in this dormant franchise.

10 years ago we thought, what the hell, why is there no multi-million dollar picture for this fabulous property? Let's hope our prayers have been answered, and hope we will get to blast these beasties in full 3D. Of course, if the sequel would want to succeed, it would need some serious Shigeru Miyamoto's camera work, to make us really feel fully loaded in the back (haha, caught this politically incorrect joke?)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Also Blizzard should be ashamed to download a game from Abandonia, slap some bad DOSBox config to it and then market it as their own.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I really only played this game until i 'rescued' the first hostage... didn't seem anything special, unlike rock&roll racing
And of course, Roguey is right that comparing it to flashback or even out of this world is just embarrassing /but who knows, maybe it opens up into a mission based hub like flashback... hahhah, not likely

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Not as good as FB, but pretty enjoyable. I loved the fact that you could kill everyone, including those you were supposed to rescue. As you'll get more gadgets to surpass obstacles, things will get more interesting. Also, backwards shotgun while facing the other way was very cool. The snes version probably has better controls, it's the only one I've played, but it seemed pretty solid in that department.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Speaking of bad flashback clones, Bermuda Syndrome was also piss poor linearity with dead simple puzzles. Is OnEscape any good?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of bad flashback clones, Bermuda Syndrome was also piss poor linearity with dead simple puzzles. Is OnEscape any good?

I only played a bit of Bermuda Syndrome (probably the demo) and found it fun but I was an ignorant youth by then. What mostly attracted me were the dinosaurs and assorted giant monsters.

OnEscapee is good and freeware now so give it a try too! I recommend the Amiga version. It was even unusual, being a CD release for the A1200.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
BS is just a collection of puzzles to pass dinosaurs... unfortunately the best ones are right in the demo area, everything else is like that or worse. And the levels are strictly one way and short too. The 'changing character' mechanic gets used here, but it's also underutilized, nothing like humans or lost vikings or goblins level of puzzles.

Dexter

Arcane
I played it through a few years ago and thought it was pretty great. Certainly one of the better Blizzard games that they can't seem to be able to produce anymore.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
OnEscapee is great. If it was a bit more responsive with its controls it would be fantastic, but nevertheless it has excellent graphics/atmosphere, nice puzzles that are closer to adventure games, and it managed to tell a good story without even one written (or spoken) word (except for the intro). The ending is especially cool. I've finished the widows version, but it seems that in newer OSs it has some problems, so --as gragt said-- the amiga version is your best bet.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Except that Rock'n'Roll racing is neutered eunuch edition. Lost Viking's pretty cool though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom