Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard working on next Diablo project

Gerrard

Arcane
If you think Diablo 1 sprites are good then you either need glasses (not rose tinted ones) or a brain. They are a perfect example of how not to do """pixel art""".

Generic-Giant-Spider

I like how the monsters in D1 actually looked like monsters. But I'm sure after all those years the superior graphics of D3 would bring us even more memorable hits:

Like the unbridled terror that is a butterfly she-demon. Shit, somebody call Sailor Moon.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, you have to admit Blizzard showed some self-awareness with Whimsyshire, though :lol:
The problem is that most of the game actually looks like that... every enemy looking more or less like a pinata.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
D3s enemy design shocked me beyond my imagination back then. Fatso undeads, laughing skeletons, worst cultists in the universe, even worst demons, fairy cult leader ...
Only good ones were the "coppied" ones from D1 and D2. Succubi, balrogs, fetishes

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
D2 was a great game, but it wasn't to that same level that D1 was. The issue with D2 (especially when LOD released) and D3 along with all its clones is that these games began to lean towards "loot hunting" and everything else took a backseat. D1 had more of a horror based atmosphere, it actually felt like a proper dark, gothic fantasy game.

This strikes so very close to home.

I for one never liked hack'n'slash games, or so I thought. Every foray ended up with boredom. I tried D2 several times over because of how 'fabled' it was but never could bring myself to anywhere near finish and it is supposedly a short game. Then I tried D1 and was sucked in instantly. I just couldn't stop before I was finished with it. There was just something magical in the combination of the music, the design both in art and in gameplay as well as the constant oppressive feeling as you descend further and further into madness so to speak.

Naturally my enjoyment of Diablo 1 has been framed as having rose tinted glasses of nostalgia, yet I first time played it in 2011 and prior to that I had tried various other hack'n'slash games, including the forementioned Diablo 2, several times. Always made me think about the standards people go with.

abija

Prophet
Only absolute top end builds+gear let you play like this at the highest level.

You mean almost any 6 linked skill?

Yeah, the sets being so much better in D3 (and way too skill specific) was a lazy and dumb decision, but at least they sort of made up for it with the legacy of nightmares which enabled lots of fun builds even if not top tier. But then again in PoE you don't even have a real way to measure build power.

Skills: Chose a main ability(spender), get generator, get a buff, a movement ability and a defensive/cc ability. Passives, get damage and your avoid death passive, done.
There are more top builds in D3 that don't fit that crieria than builds in poe that aren't mobility + aoe clear (swapped at boss or paired with some totem) + on damage taken triggers + auras/curses. Also D3 at least has a couple of builds that don't rely on aoe trash clear speed (or had when I played last time, maybe they "fixed" those).

The worst part of D3 is the endless scaling. Who likes this shit where at some point even a damn fly can one shot you? It is utterly trite and retarded. And for what do you get new gear which is nothing but minor stat upgrades? So you can push rifts a little more where you get one shot by trash all the same again and you play exactly the same again.
You need to play a lot better when you can't ignore abilities. And tell me again what is PoE's recipe for difficulty? I thought it was 1 shot mechanics, but I might be wrong...

Sykar

Arcane
Only absolute top end builds+gear let you play like this at the highest level.

You mean almost any 6 linked skill?

Yeah, the sets being so much better in D3 (and way too skill specific) was a lazy and dumb decision, but at least they sort of made up for it with the legacy of nightmares which enabled lots of fun builds even if not top tier. But then again in PoE you don't even have a real way to measure build power.

Skills: Chose a main ability(spender), get generator, get a buff, a movement ability and a defensive/cc ability. Passives, get damage and your avoid death passive, done.
There are more top builds in D3 that don't fit that crieria than builds in poe that aren't mobility + aoe clear (swapped at boss or paired with some totem) + on damage taken triggers + auras/curses. Also D3 at least has a couple of builds that don't rely on aoe trash clear speed (or had when I played last time, maybe they "fixed" those).

The worst part of D3 is the endless scaling. Who likes this shit where at some point even a damn fly can one shot you? It is utterly trite and retarded. And for what do you get new gear which is nothing but minor stat upgrades? So you can push rifts a little more where you get one shot by trash all the same again and you play exactly the same again.
You need to play a lot better when you can't ignore abilities. And tell me again what is PoE's recipe for difficulty? I thought it was 1 shot mechanics, but I might be wrong...

1.) 6 links are of course all over the place. :lol:

2.) No there aren't. Show me the myriad top end builds with no maxed main stat, crit and crit damage. Good luck.

3.) You mean let nothing touch you when your avoid death passive is on CD or die. That sure is exciting.

4.) One shot abilities are thankfully left to bosses and some really mean rares on mean maps. PoEs difficulty is adapting to mean maps by the way. Unlike D3 where you just go in and brainlessly push GRifts until your gear/skill combination is at its limits and it is always the damn fucking shit.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yo can we be real? D3 and POE are both utterly fucking braindead when it comes to difficulty.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yo can we be real? D3 and POE are both utterly fucking braindead when it comes to difficulty.

PoE is only brain dead at the highest gear level and when you have well developed gems and links. D3 is brain dead from the get go.

The fuck the only reason I've ever died in that game at any point was when I was dozing off from boredom in the middle of farming. That and a few one shots from mechanics I wasn't familiar with. Are we talking bout the same game? Or is this like your first play through or some shit?

Also you are picking on him saying 6-link as if you actually need a 6 link for the game to get braindead. 5 link is plenty and its not like its hard to get tabula rasa ffs.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
1.) 6 links are of course all over the place. :lol:

2.) No there aren't. Show me the myriad top end builds with no maxed main stat, crit and crit damage. Good luck.

3.) You mean let nothing touch you when your avoid death passive is on CD or die. That sure is exciting.

4.) One shot abilities are thankfully left to bosses and some really mean rares on mean maps. PoEs difficulty is adapting to mean maps by the way. Unlike D3 where you just go in and brainlessly push GRifts until your gear/skill combination is at its limits and it is always the damn fucking shit.

1. Worst case scenario you farm blood aqueducts some hours for a tabula. Then you blitz til red maps at least when you probably have enough mats to get a 6 link with stats.
2. I was talking about the skill framework you posted. You want to prove you are also ignorant about stats?
3. As exciting as it gets to be in a game like this. Poe isn't doing anything else in that department either.
4. See, that part with skill being at its limits is what difficulty is supposed to accomplish.

Guys, guys, gays!!!!! Let you not fight!!!! Come together and accept that ALL H&S is but a crass parody of RPG, a autistic ADHD shitfest of clicking one fucken butten for X amount of hours grindan those .01% stat increases ad infinitum!

There are no winners or losers among you all. The only way to win is not to play!

Last Diablo wasn't even H&S since they removed your ablitity to set your stats. Preset attributes you can't change yourself that level up automatically is the same kind of system pre-Diablo beat 'em up games like Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom had. In their quest to streamline the game with Diablo 3 they inadvertently made an incredibly simplistic point-and-click beat 'em up. At least I'd guess it was inadvertent, guessing if they'd intended to do that they probably would have had simple combo strings, and meter generating attacks would probably act more like normals.

Slightly interested to see how a Diablo 4 turns outs. 3 on console with its direct controls feels vastly better than the point-and-click schematic, so it'd be nice to see them go further with that. If the consoles were the reason you had so few attacks, which I doubt, but if they were too stupid to figure out how to work more than 6 skills onto a control Dragon's Dogma (a fucking great Hack & Slash, which feels like an evolution of Diablo's combat) has hopefully shown them how to get at least 16 if they want. And a Diablo 4 will be coming after things like Last Ark, so it'll be interesting to see what effect if any anything that's come or been shown the last six years has on it. It sounds like after the console version they at least tried fixing the fuck ups with the PC version, so that seems like a good sign; although just looking now it seems the guy behind that stuff also left Blizzard in 2016 so maybe it's fucked.

abija

Prophet
D4 will be D3 with some stuff stole from PoE and a revenue model (probably lootboxes) that allows them to pump 2-3 content patches per year and 10-20 mini events with shit to buy.
You'll hear a lot of dark, gritty, hardcore, endless possibilities from the marketing team.

Cael

Arcane
Guys, guys, gays!!!!! Let you not fight!!!! Come together and accept that ALL H&S is but a crass parody of RPG, a autistic ADHD shitfest of clicking one fucken butten for X amount of hours grindan those .01% stat increases ad infinitum!

There are no winners or losers among you all. The only way to win is not to play!

Last Diablo wasn't even H&S since they removed your ablitity to set your stats. Preset attributes you can't change yourself that level up automatically is the same kind of system pre-Diablo beat 'em up games like Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom had. In their quest to streamline the game with Diablo 3 they inadvertently made an incredibly simplistic point-and-click beat 'em up. At least I'd guess it was inadvertent, guessing if they'd intended to do that they probably would have had simple combo strings, and meter generating attacks would probably act more like normals.

Slightly interested to see how a Diablo 4 turns outs. 3 on console with its direct controls feels vastly better than the point-and-click schematic, so it'd be nice to see them go further with that. If the consoles were the reason you had so few attacks, which I doubt, but if they were too stupid to figure out how to work more than 6 skills onto a control Dragon's Dogma (a fucking great Hack & Slash, which feels like an evolution of Diablo's combat) has hopefully shown them how to get at least 16 if they want. And a Diablo 4 will be coming after things like Last Ark, so it'll be interesting to see what effect if any anything that's come or been shown the last six years has on it. It sounds like after the console version they at least tried fixing the fuck ups with the PC version, so that seems like a good sign; although just looking now it seems the guy behind that stuff also left Blizzard in 2016 so maybe it's fucked.
In other words, Shadow Over Mystara had better playability than Diablo 3?

Cael

Arcane
SoM and ToD are :obviously: classics.

I have a lot of good memories of SoM as it was on one of those old style game machines in my uni. In between classes, I would put in 20c and play for 90mins or watched as one of my friends did the same. Either of us can solo complete the game on one credit using the Fighter.

GrainWetski

Arcane

Ah yes, the console versions of Diablo 3. You know, the ones they had to make even easier and dumber because accuracy is completely non-existent with gamepads. Clearly the future.

Ah yes, the console versions of Diablo 3. You know, the ones they had to make even easier and dumber because accuracy is completely non-existent with gamepads. Clearly the future.

Yeah, the console version of Diablo 3, the Diablo with the best feeling controls. But if you like mindlessly clicking stuff in a game with real-time combat that's cool.

You could very easily have accuracy on a controller. That Diablo 3 didn't figure out a way to implement something other games have already done doesn't mean anything. Not that direct control couldn't also be done with a keyboard and mouse, it just happens that the console version is the only version of the game that gives you this.

In other words, Shadow Over Mystara had better playability than Diablo 3?

It's currently the better game.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Is it naive to assume it will be return to Diablo 2? :M

Blizzard is making Classic WoW after all........ so maybe there is small hope ?:dealwithit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom