Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood - From the workshop of Kevin Kilstrom, Plus mods/maps/launchers thread

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Finished Cryptic Passage (the game kept crashing when I killed the final Cerberus, but there's nothing to do after that but press a button so I just watched the ending on youtube). Definitely better than Plasma Pak, some very fun levels and none of them went on long enough to become frustrating.

QWwdP2Y.png

qBP7Dz9.png
0z719Wx.png
IGyQ3b5.png
3yzU8Fa.png
vJBXiRT.png
Rq98IMf.png

DraQ

Arcane
Cryptic Passage feels more like a big mod, but in a good way.
There was definitely more heart put in it than in Plasma Pak, though PP wasn't by any means bad.

Level and environmental design is indeed a major part of Blood (and Duke3d's) appeal. The worst (and least memorable) levels were the caverns full of spiders or gargoyles in Blood, or the industrial levels in DN3d. Playing through those was like treading water. It's also one of the reasons many early 00s PC shooters were so shit.
May we call that "Quake 2 Syndrome"?

Also one of the reasons why some old and forgotten shooters (like Eradicator) didn't play as well as you'd expect from their individual design elements.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bloody Pulp Fiction (rescripted)

I was wondering about BPF new version. Did they fixed the issues with some levels. Well, they didn't and it feels like the same thing. On the plus side it takes less time to download it, but I don't really think it's a problem for the most of us.

BPF starts like Nuclear Winter for Duke Nukem 3d. We have nice snowy map with christmas themes scattered all around. The jukebox is playing Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley, there is a big tree not far from it. Another level is too happening during the winter. But later on the creators abandoned it and just went wild with diffrent themes. That's the strongest point of the mod, it always brings something new to the player and it's always challenging. Believe me if I say that you must find almost every drop of ammo you can find. You will constantly fight with enemies and the scarcity of resources. BPF was made for total fans who can shoot dynamite tossed by monks in the mid-air by monks (yes, you can do that. For ultra-pro achievement I recommend flare gun). What's troublesome is that the first episode penultimate map has some sort of a bug, and I couldn't go to the last one. And I had the same situation with the second one (graaah!). Maybe you will have more luck than me.

http://bpf.deathmask.net/

Just take the old version from here.

Some screenshots.

0gRJBWK.png

So cold...

lUVH9eV.png

That's much better. Time for some christmas shopping!

2GfBgVV.png

Looks like only the bartender is hanging in the bar.

UrJkqIl.png

ceC21Bp.png

This map is overwhelming.

cArIyz3.png

m13o9pN.png

Cultists of the Corn map. If you aren't familiar it's inspired by the film made from the short story of Stephen King.

1Lh1J4b.png

Yes, burn you little beast!!!!

C03Q5l9.png

Inside my room.

loYUkps.png

Interrupting culticts warming in the forest. Let's make it real warm for them.

FJMmlFC.png

Interesting wall near the cemetery. You can go in, but you can't go out. Only noclip works.

8kjt2Bx.png

C4kJgkC.png

vB08a48.png

They are coming to get you Caleb.

nEo9pUK.png

Episode one ends here for me. Nothing you can do here, just drown like a little innocent kitten.

fkUyPm3.png

Episode 2 doesn't have a high difficulty at all.

SWJH6Xd.png

PyQgTKJ.png

8KRFzoN.png

BzkZ9cE.png

HU739rs.png

xV5Cvzm.png

Another dead end, this time in EP2. I remember having no problem with it in the earlier version. I had taken the dynamite needed to destroy the ice.

In our next episode we will venture to the Rapture city from Bioshock.

Riskbreaker

French Meat
16l9pww.jpg

8-map episode made between 2008 and 2012. Episode starts with a rather simplistic graveyard map that has all the hallmarks of someone's first foray into mapping. Following maps will take you through cultist-infested towns, woods, factories, airports and such. Early maps suffer from some visual glitches and general lack of visual polish that is to be expected of newbie mapper (altho second map is already significantly more complex fare than the first one), as one progresses through the episode visuals become more polished, architecture and detailing become better and better (none of the maps is what I would call visually impressive tho). Biggest flaw of some maps is that they tend to go on for way too long, which would be less of a flaw if the environments were more interesting, both thematically and visually.
Difficulty is alright-ish, this episode is neither too hard nor too easy. Notable encounters: Cerberus in map 4, thrice accursed Spider Mommy in map 7. Map 8 is standard extended boss arena.
I'd say this stuff is more or less worth playing. There is nothing exceptionally good nor memorable here, but also nothing really bad. Author apparently plans to do a re-release, with improvements to existing maps and additions of new maps and an opening cut-scene.

Screenshots!
D0CC1BDF973110AD330E3CFE1F1E7329901D0A8A

5FC13C4198D45D3C3389A1BBB3ACFF06AE4216FF

338111E552206A6E0521AABA2FDFCB79ABF3FF89

115D7BD62133843FE1D8E5F9ED366C9B63695835

CC8D427EDFA24782CFA45C3F634F7BB3CF000ED2

8752B446919466817712B4B9445297851CDE7DB9

49CF26C04F3C429BA24DB93BC703B5C9A6B472A2

This particular map was kinda interesting. You start in this snowy graveyard, then proceed to this oppressive factory/office complex filled with torture devices and such, which I like to think is a fair representation of Shadow of Mordor-era Monolith's office spaces. Could have been better if map was shorter and less visually bland.
5D269D7A1438D1AE392C9581EDBD22A3E9497B7E

Nope. Not making that kebab-related joke. Screw you.
2C6264D74D8ED59DC42CA367B44F56732B2B4DE7

Now this, this is one of arguably tasteless secrets from the airport map. Author apparently really liked this joke, since following map is set on a airplane kidnapped by cultists. 'Tis even called "Cabalcaida 666 Airline".
D7B59EE79090A3B789B85E802A1A1EC00CA5E3D0

84EA34FBA542BC04F98B776DED95794AA82C65B7

E18F5B87C1D26542462D7FC142CA155B5EEB0E10

81D337369A38F778EF2D5B7562311486FE051817

So very French.
316FA82EC60065041317AF02080BF2A88E10C02D

Awwwww, monster love :love:

Somewhere Under the Sea

This time we have a quick 3 levels connected with each other. "Somewhere..." is a interpretation of Bioshock mixed with typical Blood elements. It's nicely done, has some interesting scripting elements and really really creates a sinister atmosphere during this quick run. What I've found bad was the balance of the levels, which was horrible during the last parts. You'll see what I mean just by looking on screenshots. I hope the guy who made it will make more just to make one episode at least.

47wDRn2.png

iYJRx44.png

nJ49LB9.png

QQ31uUr.png

They really mean it...

sDhMvWQ.png

tMCJoyG.png

JxYYOOc.png

9N81NUS.png

Wheew, that was hard, I hope there is no mo...

0h0IucG.png

:rage:

0e1RPvc.png

:neveraskedforthis:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hey Ninja Destroyer, is there a widescreen mod for Blood that you'd recommend? Ideally one that doesn't stretch GUI elements. Also, any texture replacing mods that don't rape the art style? I know, I know, I'm asking a lot.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just grabbed the GoG version, I'm gonna install the One Unit Whole Blood thingie now. Hopefully I won't experience the motion sickness I got from playing D3D on a bigger/modern monitor.

Riskbreaker

Ravenloft 1-3

Series of three connected maps based on old Ravenloft RPGs.
First map is set within a cultist-infested village and surrounding woods. 'Tis rather large, surprisingly so, but it is also pretty well made, fun to explore and has some nice sights. Also, it's a bit on the hard side. Will be enjoyed by those who like their maps exploration-heavy, and don't mind some key hunting.
Second map is set outside this huge, rather impressive-looking castle. Shorter and easier that the first one. It suffers from some unfortunately placed invisible walls that sadly limit player's movement over the castle roofs. Still, pretty impressive stuff.
Final map is set within the said castle, as well as basement, crypt and caverns that lie bellow it. Pretty decent finale.
All in all, this is some really enjoyable stuff. Definitely worth playing.

527E8F55DB90539012FD2A34BA0E00836C8CAA75

8E5EB9B82008A7A3DCADAF2550FBE2656D7C8D1A

0A48B4570D7B073741C320FE0E994CCE77ACCDD9

B1AAE27F451ABF1192D5041FE1F4B8B537F38ACB

2275E447610EB1B02983FE3A6AEA2137344AE228

0DE159E6223AB823981B77335BCC6B2D0468C7F9

8A335B523DB09C55E02108B578AB9F389FAA2CF4

1F0F06D9C7E814971378CF96BAB1CABF7A9C8398

ACFB753F5E2866803B4581FF1BCAA30E8F726CE5

28987F53BBB41B72D4EB15BB01107BCE489D7ED5

Astral Rag

Arcane
We're probably going to play some BloodBath later today, let me know if -you- want to join us for some casual deathmatch fun.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Ravenloft 1-3

Series of three connected maps based on old Ravenloft RPGs.
First map is set within a cultist-infested village and surrounding woods. 'Tis rather large, surprisingly so, but it is also pretty well made, fun to explore and has some nice sights. Also, it's a bit on the hard side. Will be enjoyed by those who like their maps exploration-heavy, and don't mind some key hunting.
Second map is set outside this huge, rather impressive-looking castle. Shorter and easier that the first one. It suffers from some unfortunately placed invisible walls that sadly limit player's movement over the castle roofs. Still, pretty impressive stuff.
Final map is set within the said castle, as well as basement, crypt and caverns that lie bellow it. Pretty decent finale.
All in all, this is some really enjoyable stuff. Definitely worth playing.

527E8F55DB90539012FD2A34BA0E00836C8CAA75

8E5EB9B82008A7A3DCADAF2550FBE2656D7C8D1A

0A48B4570D7B073741C320FE0E994CCE77ACCDD9

B1AAE27F451ABF1192D5041FE1F4B8B537F38ACB

2275E447610EB1B02983FE3A6AEA2137344AE228

0DE159E6223AB823981B77335BCC6B2D0468C7F9

8A335B523DB09C55E02108B578AB9F389FAA2CF4

1F0F06D9C7E814971378CF96BAB1CABF7A9C8398

ACFB753F5E2866803B4581FF1BCAA30E8F726CE5

28987F53BBB41B72D4EB15BB01107BCE489D7ED5
Where are you going to get the most recent package, out of the "best maps" compilation here: http://www.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/downloads-rtcm/blood-addons/ ?

Riskbreaker

I played the version that comes packed with this frontend:
http://forums.duke4.net/topic/1278-blood-dosbox-launcher-for-xp-and-vista/
By the way, i'd say that launcher is at this point a better choice that the one mentioned on the earlier pages: It has been updated as recently as April this year, it comes packed with some more recent add-ons (such as fantastic Death Wish campaign). Also, unlike with old Blood launcher, 'tis possible and actually quite easy to add new add-ons that can be run from the frontend's menu.

agris

Arcane
Patron
jesus christ, 1.5 gb? the game is like 200 mb. I guess that's the add-ons?

Very old, but interesting interview with Nick Newhard, the designer and lead programmer of Blood.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/900/vcg-interview-nick-newhard-on-monoliths-blood

Personal History

newhard_2001_small.jpg

Benj Edwards: What was the first video or computer game you ever played? What platform?

Nick Newhard: The first video game I played was Pong at a pizza joint in the Seattle area.

BE: What are some of your favorite computer and video games?

NN: I have a vast collection of computer games dating back to the Apple II days and video games back to the 2600. My list of favorites is huge but many of the older games are best fondly remembered.

BE: How did you get started programming?

NN: I started programming my TI-99/4A back in the early 80s, first in Extended BASIC and then using the Editor/Assembler. This was all effectively hobbyist stuff as a kid, but it really piqued my interest in programming and game development. I jumped into programming professionally working at Orchid Technology in the 80s, writing setup programs and diagnostics for some of our hardware products.

BE: How did you break into the game development industry?

NN: My career as a Software Engineer had brought me to a branch of Novell in Sunnyvale, California in the late 80s. Across the freeway from there was Strategic Simulations, Inc., makers of some of my favorite games at the time. One day I dropped by to see if there were any game programming jobs. There were, so I applied and was hired a few weeks later working for Keith Brors and Bret Berry (two of my favorite people in the game biz).

divider2.jpg

Blood History

newhard_ca1994_small.jpg

BE: What are the circumstances behind Blood's origin? Whose idea was it?

NN: The original concept [for Blood], a horror theme written by me and a friend, was far more Lovecraftian in nature and very dark. George Broussard asked us to lighten it up with more humor. We started with a major rewrite of the theme but adding humor to the game was a process that continued throughout development with significant contributions from each new team member.

BE: When did development of Blood start?

NN: Blood development started in earnest around late 1994 with a core team and an insignificant development budget. But man, we had fun.

Apogee/3DRealms entered into an agreement with our team to develop a game for the Build engine, which eventually became the Blood project. The company we formed around the team making Blood was incorporated as Q Studios. 3DRealms was to be our shareware publisher and assisted with development costs.

BE: Take us into the development process a little. How many people were working on Blood, and what was the atmosphere like in the office at the time?

NN: During the core development of Blood, prior to our team becoming part of Monolith, our team had had four key members without which Blood would never have been - Kevin Kilstrom, Peter Freese, Jay Wilson, and myself. The 'office' was in the family room of my house during this formative period. I can safely say the atmosphere ranged the gamut from fun to desperate at various times. Also, during the summers it was damnably hot.

After moving to Monolith, Craig Hubbard became part of the team and was a key contributor in level design, story creation, and cinematic direction. (Also, he was a bitch to kill in Quake.) Matt Saettler is the unsung hero of the project, always smoothing the wheels and keeping things on track. I can't say enough about Monolith's sound and music team for Blood. Our early audio builds prior to their involvement were pretty weak and they brought the game to life. Daniel Bernstein laid down some amazing tracks and even created the language for the Cabal.

Ken Silverman was responsible for the Build engine created for Apogee/3DRealms. None of the Build games would have come out without his monumental effort.

The best part of Blood's creation really was the team synergy, despite the ups and downs that come with game development. Breaking the back of that beast - completing the game - was an extraordinary accomplishment for a team with several members new to game development. Bathed in Blood, you might say.

BE: How did your team end up joining Monolith?

NN: Peter Freese and I had worked with many of the Monolith founders while at Edmark, creating "edutainment" software. In fact, it was working with those guys and playing Doom endlessly after hours that led to my decision to start a game company. Similarly, they founded Monolith to make games and started working with Microsoft on the DirectX Sampler CD. When I talked with Jason Hall and the other 'Lith guys, Monolith saw the value in our team and in Blood, and we saw the value in building a future as part of Monolith.

BE: Did Monolith buy the publishing rights from Apogee when they acquired your team?

NN: When our team joined Monolith, I recollect they paid back the costs and purchased the publishing rights back from 3DRealms. Monolith and GT Interactive published the shareware version jointly and GTI published the retail product. I should mention that Rick Raymo was our producer at GT and was a blast to have around.

BE: Was it tough to make the transition between working in your family room to working in Monolith's offices?

NN: Although I'm speaking for the team here, I can safely say we were all very happy to move into the Monolith offices. At Monolith, we were all moved into two larger spaces together, and we still had an amazing amount of extra space. No…it wasn't tough at all. (Perhaps we missed the neighborhood park and hoops next door to my house just a little.)

BE: What role did you play during the development of Blood?

NN: I contributed pretty much everywhere I could, but mostly in the area of design, engineering, and level design to some extent. However, Blood is most definitely not the result of one person's vision — the team created the game you played and loved. If you hated it, it was probably my fault (just don't ask me about the Life Leech.) I did not create any art that made it into the released game.

BE: What were your biggest contributions to the game?

NN: My greatest contribution was persistence and iteration. If something wasn't right I either made it right or pushed hard to make it right. We played the hell out of the game from the earliest builds and no one held anything back if a game element didn't feel right. The team had a pretty heated week-long discussion over game physics and realism vs. exaggerated presentation. Ultimately, we ended up with the best of both worlds.

BE: Blood is packed with references to movies and other media. How did those originate?

NN: We were all products of our youth and many of those influences made it into Blood. In part, much of this stuff just leapt out while we were playing the game. Someone would say something and it would make it into the game. Kevin Kilstrom was probably the biggest influence in the humor and horror area. The guy kept all of us in stitches and could always be counted on to joke about something.

BE: Are you a big fan of the horror genre? Big Trouble in Little China?

NN: Most of the Blood team were fans of the horror genre. Movies, books, and comics were a huge influence. Who isn't a fan of Big Trouble in Little China? "Son of a bitch must pay!"

BE: What movies and games, specifically, influenced Blood's development?

NN: Lordy! What movie didn't influence us? Army of Darkness, Big Trouble in Little China, Hellraiser, Apocalypse Now, The Crow, Fantasia, Nightmare on Elm Street, Se7en, The Keep, The Shining, The Fugitive, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Ghostbusters, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Romero's Living Dead films, Freaks, The Goonies, Ghost, Jaws, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and so many more.

Games: Doom, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Quake (specifically CTF), Duke Nukem 3D, Diablo

Cultural references: Edgar Allen Poe, Shakespeare, H.P. Lovecraft, Peter Straub, Sinatra, Fedor Jeftichew, mimes, and again, so many more.

BE: Did you face any significant obstacles before the completion or release of Blood?

NN: I'd say we had more than our share of significant obstacles. But to quote that Burton guy again, "We made it. Holy s—, we made it!"

From experience, every game development runs into issues. Blood started with a small development budget, insufficient development tools, a small and partially inexperienced team that had never built a game together, constantly changing requirements from the (original) publisher, an external programmer [Ken Silverman] with an unfinished engine in development…and that's just the start. Any game development team could point to a couple of those things and say, "Yeah, I've been through that." We just happened to have them all.

To add insult to injury, we had our source code stolen by an employee at a computer dealer and distributed to the internet. Having your publisher call in the middle of the night (on my birthday, no less) screaming "WTF happened?! How could you let your source code get stolen?" It wasn't a pleasant phone call. What followed was lots of footwork in MIRC, filing a lawsuit, US Marshals in an early morning bust, depositions, lawyers and money (they are synonymous) and other not-so-fun stuff. Ultimately, Monolith settled. That would never happen now that our Feds are somewhat more enlightened about software and source code theft.

The bright side is we finished the game despite all those crazy-assed circumstances. Blood still has some amazingly faithful fans.

BE: One of the most groundbreaking things about Blood, to me, is the inventive and seamless level design. Why was Blood's level design above and beyond those of other FPS games of the day?

NN: On behalf of the team, thank you for saying so. You know, we frequently talked about how some other game's levels just felt tacked together. Our goal was to lead the player through levels experiencing a story while feeling like they had actually been somewhere. We never wanted them to say "Hey! Yet another lava level…" Ultimately, Jay and Craig were responsible for putting the level progression list together and they did a great job.

Aside from the level design, I'd like to think Blood's complete secondary fire modes, guns akimbo, Doppler audio, level secrets, and amazing number of details are also hallmarks of the game. When someone on the team proposed a cool idea, we always tried to find a simple way to fit it in the game.

BE: Did you do any level design yourself?

NN: Early in development, I created a lot of small levels representing a theme, setting, or visual tone that I wanted to see expressed in the game. Several of those were used as starting points or feature areas for larger levels. Often Jay had to remove vert-points because I spent a lot of effort making the lighting or geometry "just right." (Thanks, Jay!)

BE: What's your favorite Blood level?

NN: For coolness factor: The Phantom Express (E1L3) was a huge favorite just because…damn…we made a moving train level! For setting: The Overlooked Hotel (E2M4). For Bloodbath: Cradle to Grave (E1M1) was great, as were Click! (BB5) and Twin Fortress (BB6).

BE: After Quake was released, did you ever worry that Blood would become technologically obsolete before it was completed?

NN: It wasn't the technology that worried the team, but the extensibility of the engine itself. While Quake was being developed as a game engine, the Build engine was really more of a 2.5D rendering engine with some bells and whistles. The Blood team had developed a pretty good system for tagging points and lines for the game engine, we had no scripting language at all so extensibility was limited — in other words, no modding. To make up for that weakness, we focused on fast and fun game play and fantastic level design.

Don't get me wrong; Quake was a fantastic game, and if we had it to do all over again, I'd love to have built Blood with a more flexible technology than we had at the time.

Blood: The Aftermath

BE: Do you know how many copies of Blood sold?

NN: Neither Monolith or GTI shared sales figures with developers.

BE: I remember reading in EGM some years ago that a PlayStation version of Blood was planned. Do you know anything about what happened to that project or how far it went in the development process?

NN: I wasn't aware of that development effort. It may be something that GTI cooked up.

BE: When was the last time you played Blood?

NN: I played Blood solo for a bit last year but without audio. The last time I played with audio was probably five years ago. Maybe if I dig through some boxes I can find a compatible Sound Blaster card with jumpers. If anyone has Blood working with a virtual machine, I'd love to hear about their setup. [Author's note: I've since told Nick about VDMsound and other options to get Blood's sound working under Windows XP.]

BE: What influence, if any, has Blood had in the gaming world?

NN: I'm not sure if Blood influenced the gaming world or the other way around. We really made a gamer's game. The AI in Blood could be really difficult to beat. To this day, our Bloodbath mode was the most frenetic and fun multiplayer modes I've ever experienced. If anything, frenetic game play, pop humor, and attention to detail - the hallmarks of Blood - may have influenced later FPS efforts.

BE: Fans on the Internet have been clamoring for years for the Blood source code. What's the story? Is the source lost forever, or merely locked in a vault somewhere?

NN: I doubt the source code is lost. Undoubtedly, someone at or from Monolith has all the assets. Nobody is talking though. Personally, I don't have the source or assets but I may have some great videotapes of early in-game footage after we got networking in the game.

BE: Do you know who owns the rights to Blood now?

NN: It's likely that Infogrames/Atari owns the rights, following the chain of buyouts that lead back to GT Interactive.

BE: 3D Realms released the Duke Nukem 3D source in 2003. Would you be willing to help petition Atari to legally release the Blood source code? Do you have any idea who to contact to get that done?

NN: I'd be happy to participate. I would start with the legal beagles at Monolith or maybe Samantha Ryan at Warner Brothers. They would have a better chance of giving you the right person.

BE: Is there any chance we'll ever see a Blood 3? Were there ever plans to make another sequel?

NN: As much as I would love to play (or develop) another chapter of Blood, it's unlikely that there will be a Blood 3. Not to be too philosophical, but whatever fates crossed or stars aligned that allowed our little team to craft Blood have long since moved on. Each of us has gone our separate ways to make good and even great games.

His Career Today (in 2008)

BE: Do you keep up with modern first-person shooters? Do you enjoy any particular ones?

NN: The last FPS I tackled was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. until it crashed (repeatedly, and I so wanted to love that game.) I completed Half-Life 2 and subsequent episodes. While technically not a shooter, I've also played through Portal several times. I have a massive stack of games to play, across platforms and genres.

BE: You seem to be in the casual games business now — first at PopCap and now at Big Fish Games. What made you transition from action games at Monolith to tamer gaming fare?

NN: For the most part, it's the long development cycles and notably painful crunch times that I miss so much. (sarcasm) Seriously, I'm in the business of making fun games and enjoy developing the gamut of games.

BE: Of all the games you've worked on, what game are you most proud of?

NN: Cheesy answer. I'm proud of all the games I've worked on for different reasons. Blood was the hardest game to develop, yet we made it against nearly insurmountable odds. I handpicked the core team and they have all gone on to do great things. For that, I'm most proud.

BE: Any final thoughts you'd like to include that we didn't cover?

NN: Yeah. Blood would have been impossible without the patience, endurance, indulgence, and encouragement of my wife Helen. Thanks, honey.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Blood: Alone in the Dark 2 is not a map. Nay, it is in fact a large, extremely elaborate torture device!
Just needed to vent a little 'bout that. I actually played though New Alone in the Dark and BAITD3 demo map recently, and they were pretty sweet (well, minus that ridiculous final encounter from NAITD). Second map from New Alone in the Dark is actually fucking majestic, 'tis a great tribute to vintage survival horror creepy mansions and it feels almost like a refined, sane version of BAITD2.
BAITD2 tho, holly shite if that wasn't the single most frustrating Blood map I had a pleasure to play.

DraQ

Arcane
Very old, but interesting interview with Nick Newhard, the designer and lead programmer of Blood.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/900/vcg-interview-nick-newhard-on-monoliths-blood

BE: What are the circumstances behind Blood's origin? Whose idea was it?

NN: The original concept [for Blood], a horror theme written by me and a friend, was far more Lovecraftian in nature and very dark. George Broussard asked us to lighten it up with more humor. We started with a major rewrite of the theme but adding humor to the game was a process that continued throughout development with significant contributions from each new team member.
It actually shows in game and suits it better than if the game started out as lulzfest.
Blood is fairly unique mix of genuinely dark atmosphere and morbid humour consisting largely of popculture references.

BE: What were your biggest contributions to the game?

NN: My greatest contribution was persistence and iteration. If something wasn't right I either made it right or pushed hard to make it right. We played the hell out of the game from the earliest builds and no one held anything back if a game element didn't feel right. The team had a pretty heated week-long discussion over game physics and realism vs. exaggerated presentation. Ultimately, we ended up with the best of both worlds.
:salute: :obviously:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I loved this game, it was the best one in MP at the time when compared to Doom or Duke Nukem 3d.

I don't know if I would call Build engine FPS-es doom clones anymore. They've added more to the formula, and naming them clones is a bit unfair. The same goes for earlier System Shock which was called sometimes a Doom clone. It was simpler for the reader to comprehend what the game was about. Although putting everything into one basket was IMO dumb. I won't sperg about it. After Quake ironically there were no more "Quake clones" naming of the other titles in the local press. But during the releases of both parts of Doom it was like everywhere. Even the Amiga games had that label.

I don't know about Caleb being a vampire. He's more like an anti-hero pulp fiction character with the gunslinger leitmotiv. We could just pretend he is, since he uses life essence (hearts) to heal himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom