Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Sentinel

Arcane
Ended up buying a PS4 because of it and is the best decision I've ever made. Bloodborne is worth every single penny that a 400 dollar game deserves.
don't fall for this mate
i used my brother's ps4 to play bloodborne and, out of all the 4 "souls-like" games, it's the one I spent the least time on (I platinum'd it). I have ~130 hours in the game. By comparison, I have 308 hours in DkS1, 245 hours in DkS2, 280 hours in DkS3. And I barely PvP.
The game severely lacks equipment, especially armors. The only fun I could find outside the offline game was invading nightmare of mensis for a couple hours and laughing at people panicking/hiding around the level.
As said above you can just grab a ps4 for $200 nowadays so if you're really that curious go for it.

hackncrazy

Savant
Ended up buying a PS4 because of it and is the best decision I've ever made. Bloodborne is worth every single penny that a 400 dollar game deserves.
don't fall for this mate
i used my brother's ps4 to play bloodborne and, out of all the 4 "souls-like" games, it's the one I spent the least time on (I platinum'd it). I have ~130 hours in the game. By comparison, I have 308 hours in DkS1, 245 hours in DkS2, 280 hours in DkS3. And I barely PvP.
The game severely lacks equipment, especially armors. The only fun I could find outside the offline game was invading nightmare of mensis for a couple hours and laughing at people panicking/hiding around the level.
As said above you can just grab a ps4 for $200 nowadays so if you're really that curious go for it.

Well, it all comes down to opinions.

I never PvP as well, and for me Bloodborne is the best of the bunch because of the fast-paced gameplay and the visceral bosses.

Even though I love all the Souls games, I'd say that since they are slower in the gameplay, the bosses are much more cheeseable in the sense that if you take some distance from then, you can easily drink some estus and come back into action.

In Bloodborne, the punishment for this is a lot bigger. Even with the faster healing animation, the fact that the bosses are faster as well makes the risk/reward much more dangerours than in the souls games.

Not to mention that (again, personal opinion) the bosses design and soundtrack in BB is miles ahead of the souls games. And, of course, we have the best DLC in the series (I don't think this one even comes to opinion, The Old Hunters is objectively the best in the series and probably one of the best ever made).

But anyway, I love all Souls a lot. Combining all the games in the series I probably have around 3000 hours total.

Silva

Arcane
About buying a PS4 for BB or not, I will say this: along with Demon and Dark 1, BB is the only other game that pushes the formula and aesthetics forward, something that can't be said for the other titles in the franchise. And, bro, those Yharnam streets that make up the game's first 1/3 or so are worth the price alone. It's right there with STALKERS in ambience factor.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In other words, you've never played Demon's Souls. :rpgcodex:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The game severely lacks equipment, especially armors
Sounds to me like you didn't play the DLC, which remedied pretty much every problem that plagued the OC. Give it another go with The Old Hunters, it should change your mind.
Doubling the amount of weapons (and armor?) in a map which is basically on par with the hardest area in the base game isn't good enough imo. You'll still have to go through at least 60% of the game with only the base game arsenal.

I guess if you like NG+ or chalice dungeons it counts for more.

Sentinel

Arcane
In other words, you've never played Demon's Souls. :rpgcodex:
I have, last year. Got invaded once surprisingly. Was an okay game.

Sentinel

Arcane
The game severely lacks equipment, especially armors
Sounds to me like you didn't play the DLC, which remedied pretty much every problem that plagued the OC. Give it another go with The Old Hunters, it should change your mind.
lol no. The problem remains even with DLC. I did play it, and I don't get the hype. It's extremely short and the last boss is shit, although the area is very cool.
and who the fuck thought the sharks were a good idea?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Bloodborne is the pinnacle of the souls formula.

DS2 is filler shit. DS3 is uninspired bleh.

Dark Souls is a classic and Demon's Souls still has a special place in my heart.

Bloodborne > Dark souls 1 >= Demon's Souls > (Dark Souls 3 >=< Dark Souls 2)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DS2 is filler shit.

I'll never understand why Souls fans say this. It must be a lingering crowd wisdom from the vanilla time. It's physically impossible for me to imagine a Souls fan would play SotfS and say it's shit.

A little defence of DS2.

I keep saying DS1 is my favourite game of all times but if I'm honest both Demon's Souls and DS2 did most things better.

I've never played DeS but I'm watching ENB's 100% playthrough now and I'm in awe how amazing the level design is. Boletaria, Stonefang Tunnels, Tower of Latria...it may sound like heresy but I really think the level design in DeS is just as good as in DS1. Plus it's CONSISTENTLY good, unlike DS1 where only the first half of the game is phenomenal.

Same goes for DS2. Even the weakest levels aren't nowhere near as shitty as Demon Ruins or Izalith. Plus the respec, the PvP, the vast array of viable gear, weapons and builds, gameplay length of SotfS, fashion souls, UI, power stancing....there was sooo much improvement in DS2 (most of which From flushed to the toilet for DS3). Yeah the bosses are mostly shitty but the vanilla DS1 bosses aren't anything to write home about either. And the DS2 DLCs bosses are among the best in the series.

I think DS1 is the best for the majority of Souls fans because, just like me, it was the first Souls game they played. And it still remains the best for me despite all the failings because if there's anything it's absolutely unbeatable at t's the overall vibe, the way Blightown, Dakroot, Anor Londo or the various NPCs make you feel.

Sentinel

Arcane
DS2 is filler shit.

I'll never understand why Souls fans say this. It must be a lingering crowd wisdom from the vanilla time. It's physically impossible for me to imagine a Souls fan would play SotfS and say it's shit.

A little defence of DS2.

I keep saying DS1 is my favourite game of all times but if I'm honest both Demon's Souls and DS2 did most things better.

I've never played DeS but I'm watching ENB's 100% playthrough now and I'm in awe how amazing the level design is. Boletaria, Stonefang Tunnels, Tower of Latria...it may sound like heresy but I really think the level design in DeS is just as good as in DS1. Plus it's CONSISTENTLY good, unlike DS1 where only the first half of the game is phenomenal.

Same goes for DS2. Even the weakest levels aren't nowhere near as shitty as Demon Ruins or Izalith. Plus the respec, the PvP, the vast array of viable gear, weapons and builds, gameplay length of SotfS, fashion souls, UI, power stancing....there was sooo much improvement in DS2 (most of which From flushed to the toilet for DS3). Yeah the bosses are mostly shitty but the vanilla DS1 bosses aren't anything to write home about either. And the DS2 DLCs bosses are among the best in the series.

I think DS1 is the best for the majority of Souls fans because, just like me, it was the first Souls game they played. And it still remains the best for me despite all the failings because if there's anything it's absolutely unbeatable at t's the overall vibe, the way Blightown, Dakroot, Anor Londo or the various NPCs make you feel.
Might have something to do with this
U9cTl2w.jpg

7JORVJX.jpg

8qx93oN.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sure, From tends to reuse and rehash. But the difference between DS2 and DS3 is DS2 added a heap of innovations to the rehashes. Whereas DS3 is nothing but a heap of rehashes.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Demon's Souls has the best artistic direction as well.
I haven't played Bloodborne, mind you. Probably solid too from what I've seen.
The Dark Souls are more... generic somehow.
I although agree with cvv, DS2 ain't as bad as people make it look. It's a good reference of the quality of these games though, since its worst representants are still pretty awesome action rpgs.

Sentinel

Arcane
Sure, From tends to reuse and rehash. But the difference between DS2 and DS3 is DS2 added a heap of innovations to the rehashes. Whereas DS3 is nothing but a heap of rehashes.
I'll never understand this mindset of "DS3 is nothing but rehashes". It reuses DS1's game mechanics and improves upon them, making the game faster, and reuses a lot of equipment. That's about it. Maybe people think it's a rehash because a sequel closes/kills off a couple characters from a prequel?
Everything you need to know about why DS2 is bad is in the intro (huehuehuhe ur gonna die kid over and over again like a moth to the flame huehueheuhue *shows areas that aren't even in the game*) and the boss list and whether or not the bosses are relevant to the lore.
  • Last Giant - relevant, remnant of the giant invasion
  • The Pursuer - irrelevant
  • Dragonrider - irrelevant
  • Old Dragonslayer - irrelevant
  • Flexile Sentry - irrelevant
  • Ruin Sentinels - irrelevant
  • The Lost Sinner - relevant, kinda? reincarnation of a lord soul lol, that's it.
  • Belfry Gargoyles - irrelevant
  • Skeleton Lords - irrelevant
  • Executioner's Chariot - irrelevant
  • Covetous Demon - irrelevant
  • Mytha, Baneful Queen - irrelevant
  • Smelter Demon - irrelevant
  • Old Iron King - relevant, reincarnation of a lord soul, that's it though.
  • Scorpioness Nejka - relevant, relates to Scorpion Tarkus in their side story
  • Royal Rat Authority - irrelevant
  • Prowling Magus - irrelevant
  • Duke's Dear Freja - relevant, again another call back to a lord of ds1. that's it.
  • Royal Rat Vanguard - irrelevant
  • The Rotten - irrelevant
  • Dragonriders - irrelevant
  • Looking Glass Knight - irrelevant
  • Demon of Song - irrelevant
  • Velstadt, Royal Aegis - relevant, sworn to protect Vendrick
  • Vendrick - relevant, central figure of the game
  • Guardian Dragon - irrelevant
  • Ancient Dragon - relevant, you can use him to enter the memories. He says some cryptic shit and that's it.
  • Giant Lord - relevant
  • Throne Defender & Throne Watcher - irrelevant, useless filler before final boss
  • Nashandra - relevant
  • Aldia - relevant
  • Darklurker - irrelevant
  • Elana, Squalid Queen - I'll assume it's relevant, never paid attention to the story after the vanilla game
  • Sihn, Slumbering Dragon - same, although I don't think it's relevant to the main game at all
  • Fume Knight - same, relevant
  • Sir Alonne - relevant
  • Blue Smelter Demon - lol
  • Aava, King's Pet - relevant
  • Burnt Ivory King - relevant
  • King's Pets - shit, irrelevant
Dark Souls 3:
  • Iudex Gundyr - relevant, judges who's worthy of inheriting the first flame.
  • Vordt of the Boreal Valley - relevant, one of the boreal valley monstrosities - can be seen later as a ghost in the boreal valley area
  • Curse-rotted Greatwood - irrelevant filler
  • Crystal Sage - irrelevant filler, callback to Logan nothing much
  • Deacons of the Deep - extremely relevant. They guard Aldrich's tomb, and drop the doll that unlocks the boreal valley
  • Abyss Watchers - kinda relevant but mostly filler callback, can be seen in the intro
  • High Lord Wolnir - kinda filler
  • Old Demon King - filler
  • Pontiff Sulyvahn - extremely relevant. King asshole, statues of him in Lothric, convinced princes not to link the flame, guards Aldritch & is his butt buddy.
  • Aldrich - relevant, wants to end all the gods once and for all, can be seen in the intro, shows what became of the trap faggot without his dad and sister
  • Yhorm the Giant - relevant, ties into the Siegfried side quest & can be seen in the intro
  • Dancer of the Boreal Valley - like Vordt, relevant.
  • Oceiros, the Consumed King - relevant, guards a hidden area that is also extremely relevant by virtue of holding firekeeper eyes and introducing the possibility of time travel/alternate dimension
  • Champion Gundyr - read previous, relevant
  • Dragonslayer Armour - irrelevant
  • Ancient Wyvern - irrelevant
  • Nameless King - relevant, answers the question of why he was deleted from history records
  • Lothric & Lorian, The Twin Princes - relevant, the last remaining candidates who can light the flame
  • Soul of Cinder - relevant, kind of? cheesy to have the first flame go through its many forms backwards until the very first dude who lit it as a last resort, could have worked if there was something else after.
  • Sister Friede - relevant, sister of one of the characters you meet in the game.
  • Gravetender Wolf & Champion - complete shit, irrelevant
  • Demon Prince - relevant, ties into Lothric's sword and his story
  • Darkeater Midir - relevant
  • Slave Knight Gael - debatable. in the grand scheme of things, he doesn't matter, he's just another nobody like you that wants to save his loli.
  • Halflight - irrelevant
most DS2 bosses are not only completely irrelevant & filler, their artwork is also uninspired and devoid of any personality. DS3's story might end up being somewhat of a clusterfuck, but the areas and bosses are much more impressive both in gameplay and artwork. Hell, Dark Souls 3 at least has area decoration that brings back DS1's "environmental storytelling", such as the statues of the serpents in Lothric, the spider sisters in Demon's Ruins, and a couple other ones I'm sure I'm forgetting. In Dark Souls 2, the environments are repeated_texture5000.jpg.
I don't know man, ds2 just doesn't do it for me. I probably won't be replaying any of the Dark Souls games in a long time, and while I'm not happy with Dark Souls 3's conclusion, I think it was far from a rehash, it introduced a couple interesting things to the lore, it had a great soundtrack, the gameplay was tighter than DS1 (online was fucking horrible though, fuck arena fags), and it ended up being much more satisfying to play than DS2.

The only Souls game I see myself replaying anytime soon is Bloodborne, and even then I still have to give it some time to forget most of the game, because I can still remember most of the areas and their layouts as well as weapons and that's pretty boring. As a complete package Bloodborne is probably the better game in the series, it wins on soundtrack, environments, art, gameplay and story (although I don't think I'll ever understand the DLC).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you think TheSentinel that DS3 is better because of the intro and and it's graphically more diverse and its levels are more fun to go through then we have a completely different view on what's actually great about Souls games.

Kitchen Utensil

If you think TheSentinel that DS3 is better because of the intro and and its graphically more diverse its levels are more fun than we have a completely different view on what's actually great about Souls games.

This.

And gameplay-wise, DS3 is also by far the weakest...
Ah well, who cares.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Demon's Souls has the best artistic direction as well.
I haven't played Bloodborne, mind you. Probably solid too from what I've seen.

Bloodborne has some of the most amazing art I've seen. The only drawback for me is that it's almost completely grey or black (at least DS3 is grey, black AND beige). And I've never been big on Victorian fashion so the fashion souls in Bloodborne aren't doing it for me. But overall it's amazingly executed and consistent.

Also it has by far the best story in any Souls game. I'd personally welcome less obfuscation (basically you won't understand most of what's going on without watching the hour long Vaati video) but it's still some of the most amazing storytelling in videogames.

Sentinel

Arcane
If you think TheSentinel that DS3 is better because of the intro and and it's graphically more diverse and its levels are more fun to go through then we have a completely different view on what's actually great about Souls games.
I rate them by gameplay. That's why BB sits at the top, followed by DS3, followed by DS1, with DS2 as a last resort. (yes level design is extremely important for gameplay in a souls game)
The rest is just a bonus and just shows that they actually cared a bit in BB, DS1 and DS3.

I mentioned the intro because it's a symptom of the cringy shitfest that is to come and of the mindset the developers had when they made the game. It's a game entirely designed to kill you at every step. They embraced the "prepare to die" meme and took it to a new level. It's not challenging, it doesnt require exploring environments, it's tedious and boring. The tediousness is notorious in the soundtrack, visual quality of art assets, how often they repeat themselves, the moveset of bosses, the dialogue with characters. Even the Majula theme puts me to sleep.

hackncrazy

Savant
I rate them by gameplay. That's why BB sits at the top, followed by DS3, followed by DS1, with DS2 as a last resort. (yes level design is extremely important for gameplay in a souls game)
The rest is just a bonus and just shows that they actually cared a bit in BB, DS1 and DS3.

I mentioned the intro because it's a symptom of the cringy shitfest that is to come and of the mindset the developers had when they made the game. It's a game entirely designed to kill you at every step. They embraced the "prepare to die" meme and took it to a new level. It's not challenging, it doesnt require exploring environments, it's tedious and boring. The tediousness is notorious in the soundtrack, visual quality of art assets, how often they repeat themselves, the moveset of bosses, the dialogue with characters. Even the Majula theme puts me to sleep.

Even though I think you're getting a lot of shit for this opinion, I entirely agree with you.

I, for one, NEVER even tried to understand the story of any of the Souls games. What always keeps me coming back to them is the great gameplay, atmosphere and bosses. I don't care if the story of 3 is fanserviceable, if characters that should be dead are not or whatever.

The gameplay in DS3 is finely tuned what makes it a great game. I always rate any series of videogame by gameplay first (and, like you said, level design is entirely connected to this, that's why DS2 is the weakest of the bunch for me), and in that sense, Bloodborne is easily the best of them, followed by DS1, DS3, DeS and DS2.

The level design in Dark Souls 2 is just abysmal (You may say that the DLC is great, which I think is an absurd exaggeration, since it is good, but not even near to Bloodborne or Dark Souls 1, but since the base game is so bad in that sense, people tend to blow the DLC greatness out of proportion), and combined with the floatiness of the character, and awfully bad bosses, makes it the worst in the series (and even with this, is better than 90% of the games out there).

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Demon's Souls has more interesting locations. T'is all.
Dark Souls has forests, sewers, lawa worlds, minas tirith white-stone cities etc.
The rest is on par, yeah. But locations represent a big part of these games' experience, so there's that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom