Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Silva

Arcane
SSEz1gQ.jpg
How did you do the orange lightning from below? What place is that?

Silva

Arcane
"That moment when you wake up from a scary dream but you’re in your bed and you definitely just shouted but now you can’t remember if you said it out loud or in the dream? That’s the entirety of Bloodborne."

Heard this from a pal and found it perfectly captures the game essence.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So professional insane Soulsborne addict ymfah just released a "How to be OP and BL4 Bloodborne" and there's a ton of glitches I've never even heard of before in it.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I bought a PS4 only for Bloodborne. Best decision I made under this shitty sky. Now the sky is full of a menacing moon that wants me to jump right in the emptiness of the cosmos. What a friendly and comforting presence

Silva

Arcane
Restarting for the 10th or so time* and, after all these playthroughs, I think the most logical conclusion to take, if one is devoid of fanboyism and expectations, and only digests what the game offers you, is that Yharnam as we experience it is just another layer of nightmare. Really. Think with me. The only time you experience the real world (aside from the ending where you wake up with the sun rising) is the very beginning of the intro where you're signing down the contract and laying down on the table. After that you pass out and everything from this point on is a fucking dream/nightmare - and the blood minister even TELLS IT TO YOU. If you don't believe me, notice this:

- There are no "little ones" in the real world. The first time you meet them, right in the intro cutscene, you're already dreaming.
- The animation when you use the Hunter Slip of paper to return to the dream looks like you're are trying to wake up, and then you fucking vanish!
- The game is all about travelling between dream worlds/layers Lovecraft Dreamcycle-way, and the modus by which you do it is identical to what you do enter and exit Yharnam itself. IF Yharnam was the real world, it's only logical that you should interact with it in a different manner than the other dream worlds/layers (perhaps going to sleep in a bed? Oh you don't need because YOURE ALREADY SLEEPING IN THE CLINIC'S BED THIS WHOLE TIME!)
- OLD YHARNAM IS FUCKING BURNING! THERE ARE FIRE LIGHT UP ALL AROUND IT. How can this be if, according to the snippets of lore around, Old Yharnam was burned a "long time ago" (at least decades but it could be centuries!)? The only explanation is: this is a dream.
- Same for Chalice Dungeons. The way you enter and exit it is the same as all other dream worlds, by teleporting. If this was the real world, these catacombs would accessible right at the Byrgenwerth University backyard. In fact, judging by the scenery, I would say the place where you fight the Shadows of Yharnam is the best candidate spot for the excavation site that leads to the tombs.
- Some gadgets are totally "dream-tech" based: the Lead Elixir is said to be an essence taken from nightmares where the host is scared of something and can't run or runs very slowly. If this works in Yharnam, is because the city is in a nightmare and not the real world.
etc.

I think the intention by the authors was to let everything ambiguous on purpose, so the game has this dreamlike uncertainty to make players question it and come up with distinct interpretations. But I think there are more evidence for Yharnam being in the dream world than the contrary. I don't know how this dream-version relates to the supposed real-historic version, but I think there's a strong relation, maybe distorting real history just slightly (which explains this Old Yharnam dream-version still having fire burning).

*with a woman this time, just to see the female version of clothes

I bought a PS4 only for Bloodborne. Best decision I made under this shitty sky. Now the sky is full of a menacing moon that wants me to jump right in the emptiness of the cosmos. What a friendly and comforting presence
Same as me. And I can assure you I'm yet to find a better game in this console. Welcome to the fold, hunter. :salute:

Vorark

Erudite
The only time you experience the real world (aside from the ending where you wake up with the sun rising) is the very beginning of the intro where you're signing down the contract and laying down on the table.

Always thought this was the case. However, there's something that doesn't add up or maybe I missed something...

During the Wake Up ending, the Hunter is outside or far from the clinic. Did s/he sleepwalk over there, in a feverish nightmare state? No one noticed it or is it par for the course?

Silva

Arcane
The only time you experience the real world (aside from the ending where you wake up with the sun rising) is the very beginning of the intro where you're signing down the contract and laying down on the table.

Always thought this was the case. However, there's something that doesn't add up or maybe I missed something...

During the Wake Up ending, the Hunter is outside or far from the clinic. Did s/he sleepwalk over there, in a feverish nightmare state? No one noticed it or is it par for the course?
Reality is not real. What you experience in the game is the "real" world, as it is. When you "wake up" you actually return to the illusion of reality, the world as it should be.
Shit D_X, couldn't understand anything you said here. :lol:

I think what Vorark says may well be for dramatic reasons (a better spot to see the sun rise) or else another purposeful point of ambiguity.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
When I went into that free 7 days psnow offer, I didn't think I'd actually keep playing until the end, but it's actually a lot more playable than you'd think, latency wise, if your internet isn't too shit that is. 15 euros less in my bank and an extended one more month of game time to let me continue and I'm now hooked. I was thinking of getting a ps4 by the end of this console lifecycle to play bloodborne but now I don't even consider the thought, bad move Sony.

It's not without faults, though. The video compression can get a little extreme on certain scenes. You're not getting the native experience graphical quality wise. It can get bad in areas like these :
ISOK5fi.jpg

I'm not much of a graphic whore though, if it's playable it's all I need.
I don't know if it's because the software feels I don't have the bandwidth, if it's because it's bloodborne or if it's the service itself, but it's worth noting.

And there's no DLC for now so I won't be getting the penultimate experience that DLC typically are in souls games. But I don't feel like shelling out for the console just for the one dlc. And maybe some time in the future they'll release it, they don't delete your saves after your subscription runs out so it's good.
On the plus side, you can play online without spending a dime more, as online connectivity is included in the PSNow subscription, making the service only slightly more expensive than having online on the actual console.

Bottomline is, you can genuinely experience Bloodborne without a PS4. What a time to be alive.

Alkarl

Learned
I just beat this the other day. I got the baby slug ending.

Did anyone else think this game was piss easy? I mean, sure, Cleric Beast, Gascoigne, and Bloodstarved Beast tore me a new asshole, but after I figured out how I was supposed to be approaching bosses, the only other bosses I died to afterwards were:
Rom, once
uh, hm..
Oh! I died to The One Reborn once too, though that death was more due to greed than actual difficulty.
And I also died the first time fighting Gehrman because of the same reason as The One Reborn.

I don't have the dlc, not sure if I'm going to be getting it for awhile cause the base game was such a snooze. I ran saw cleaver for like 75% of the game and picked up Logarius Wheel as a back up. Never farmed echoes, though I did farm stones, but spent the echoes on blood vials and never found myself running out. I was BL82 by the end, with 30s in vit and end plus 50 str and about 20 skill.

Most of the "difficulty" I encountered was the massive amounts of damage that bosses and mobs would inflict along with often cancerous enemy placement (I'm looking at you, Red Moon Yahar'ghul). The damage issue is more pronounced in depth 4+ chalice dungeons. None of these enemies are hard but if they manage to poke you, your fucking grandkids will feel it.

I mean, the game was fun, I'm still enjoying ng+ but man there is a lot of bullshit in here with very little payoff.

Alkarl

Learned
Well if you want more of a challenge you'll definitely want to fight Ludwig in the DLC.

I keep hearing this, but at the same time, I never struggled with the bosses that most people seemed to have. Like Logarius, Chalice Amygdala/Ebrietas, Watchdog, etc.

I also never summoned, except for the Rom chalice just to give the spiders something to play with while I wailed on their master.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
DLC bosses are more difficult than anything in the base game, definitely get it if you want a challenge.

If that’s still not enough there’s a well waiting for you with some friendly shark folk :D.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I keep hearing this, but at the same time, I never struggled with the bosses that most people seemed to have. Like Logarius, Chalice Amygdala/Ebrietas, Watchdog, etc.

If you get the DLC and find even Orphan easy then you'll be better off transitioning into jumpsuiting in the Rockies or driving around Chicago with "Fuck you niggers" paintsprayed on your car.

Alkarl

Learned

If you get the DLC and find even Orphan easy then you'll be better off transitioning into jumpsuiting in the Rockies or driving around Chicago with "Fuck you niggers" paintsprayed on your car.

Alright, alright, I'll try to pick it up hopefully this weekend and I'll let ya'll know. Going to try tackling it on my ng+ character first. :happytrollboy:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom