Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BloodLust Shadowhunter

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So why isn't this game on the RPG Codex curator list even though there are much worse titles there (e.g. Dragon Age, Risen, Valkyria...)?

I've finished the demo - which is way more bugged than the early access version - and I'll definitely buy this game. It has the right, vampiric atmosphere, interesting skills and talents (which are like perks in Fallout), a variety of opponents and puzzles (simple but good) and not bad characters to interact with (with decent voice acting). It also looks allright and overall I'm impressed by that game. If it was on GOG I would have bought it already.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So why isn't this game on the RPG Codex curator list even though there are much worse titles there (e.g. Dragon Age, Risen, Valkyria...)?

Need way more impressions, especially since this is an Early Access title. We only add those if there's overwhelming consensus.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Tracked this one through Codex. Apparently it is a one man effort (ala Grimoire...) so i went in with very low expectations (he seems to have got help from a few friends though, judging from the credits and VA).

Although this is based on only one play session this seems to have potential.

Some screenshots:

lorebook
10z2szn.jpg

Persuade
2iqbjhi.jpg

minions, sire tree (currently only a drunk bum i found in the intro dungeon)
152yhdf.jpg

this is probably a bug
24wvp02.jpg

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria

I've finished the demo - which is way more bugged than the early access version - and I'll definitely buy this game. It has the right, vampiric atmosphere, interesting skills and talents (which are like perks in Fallout), a variety of opponents and puzzles (simple but good) and not bad characters to interact with (with decent voice acting). It also looks allright and overall I'm impressed by that game. If it was on GOG I would have bought it already.

About those perks: if i understand the tooltip correctly the constellation of perks is randomized when you create a character? That would be a bit odd.

Also i noticed you can reroll your stats without an explicit reroll button by changing the class till satisfied.

I made a witch and the first perk available was not really good for a witch and the perks appear to become available sequentually. I found a gem however which the game warns is very rare (newb tips mode on) and with it i can choose any perk.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PhantasmaNL has the right of it mostly.
I find the non-dungeon areas to be tiny at the moment, though they got the right vibes.
Dungeons can be large-ish multi floor affairs, and you would have to keep track of your bearings, there is no marked map, and the map that fills as you explore will only mark the entry to the next level.

Combat is a bit floaty, though it at least allows for circle-strfing, dodging, and special moves which is at least one thing it has over New Vegas.

Exploration is serviceable, in that there are secret areas to spot, puzzles(limited ones) to open doors etc.

It has potential to be great, that is all one can say about it, really. So far it is just serviceable. Also respawning enemies.

Yeah, the perk trees are configured differently everytime you roll a new char. Not a bug, 'tis a feature.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far the dungeons are hueg-ish, city areas are kinda small. That said it's been a while since I played it, mind you.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
welcome the Bloodlust quest descriptions

24wa8bd.jpg

:troll:

and choice and consequence
2euhafa.jpg

City map, you get there through sewers from the start dungeon. It is a very small map. The sewers function as fast travel, i now have 2 locations on this, there is plenty room for more but i have no clue if this game (full or in ea state) will offer more.
20u2ujt.jpg

And the dungeon(s). You can have a map overlay which will show a very basic map, unlike the one above in the left corner. It only shows what you explored so in the quest above (find key somewhere in this dungeon) you will not see a marker.
29p2f5w.jpg

Since this is a dungeon crawler, this is where you will spent most time, looting.

The game has sort of a main quest, which im not that far in, to supply you with extra goals during your crawls (such as find a key as mentioned above).

Since this is indie plus crawler i wouldnt expect too much in the area of vampire politics and such.

I will play this a little bit more and then wait for release.

Last edited:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
Two more screenshots:

random loot means OP items are possible (this blade does the same damage as my main spell (playing as a witch), 56 charisma achieved by other items).

ac8s5f.jpg

remember the quest to find a key in a dungeon, which was lost on the 8th floor but could be anywhere? these dungeons have a lot of floors..

okv8uv.jpg

Andhaira

Arcane
The Vampire A-RPG similar to Bloodlines? Codex did an interview with the dev while the game was in development.

http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=243

There is a free demo up on the game site. I tried it during development and it was fun, but still rough around the edges. But it had a lot of potential, especially the shapeshifting disciplines.

Mastermind you ever get to run it?

Link to demo: http://www.lasthalfofdarkness.com/bloodlust/

edit: It's also up on steam for 13 bucks. SMA seems to have a cameo

ss_daa3d968804556df732090c5faa8a49ac0e010d0.1920x1080.jpg

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Character art and some other things were clearly inspired by Bloodlines, but gameplay has very little in common with it.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Andhaira
Didn't know about the interview, thanks for the link. Bill has also posted an update on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/games/280600/announcements/detail/47639882018256010

Bill - WRF Studios developer said:
New update allows easier hotbar manipulation.

Apologize for all the daily updates. I know this can be frustrating and recommend setting Bloodlust to update only prior to starting game.

Most players probably are not finding any game breaking bugs... however some players are, and because it's extremely difficult to let gamebreaking bugs go weeks without fixing, these bugs need to be fixed immediately and that is the reason for so many updates.

(Once the game is released there will not be as many updates.)

After 4 years in development and 5 months in EA most of the content and enhancments are complete (What you see now is pretty much the completed game)- just looking for any last minute bugs and once satisified Bloodlust will release soon.

Bloodlust is actually 2 years overdue... and was never designed to be as big a project as it ended up being (it never does) ... It was originally designed to be a small 1 random dungeon game with 2 classes and a couple NPC's and somehow ended up being so much bigger. (there were a few things that didnt make it in that I really wanted... such as CO-OP more character customization, etc. - but because of the small scope of this production... it just cant be... perhaps in Bloodlust 2.. LOL!)

Want to thank all the players who have contributed to helping finding bugs.. please let me know if you see anything else.

Thanks
Bill
From the looks of it the game should be released soon although his pedantic nature is a problem. There are no game-breaking bugs and yet he keeps fixing minor bugs (or changing some things) every few days. He should just release it and make the improvements in the sequel. The game is very good already and should sell well enough.

Looks gay.
So you like what you see then? :troll:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mastermind you ever get to run it?

Yes, but it was a long time ago. I remember it being ok, nothing special, but as I said, it was a long time ago. I doubt it'll run well on my laptop with integrated graphics so another try will have to wait for when I have a new computer.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I bought the game a few days ago. There's nothing really "similar" to this game and Bloodlines other than the fact that this game is greatly influenced by WoD. I think the guy did a good job at emulating that WoD atmosphere. There are some neat features in the game like having your own bloodline (a tree of NPCs that you've sired that then branches out to other characters they have sired). Although it isn't as super deep, it's still a fun little element that makes you feel one step more like an authentic vampire. You can also give some commands to your vampires like to go collect you loot or come and help you in the dungeons.

My main issues with the game is the floaty combat, the stupid minigames and how boring the procedual dungeons are. I like the hand crafted dungeons because they have some fun puzzles and secrets, but the procedual dungeons are just corridors upon corridors of meh. They're fine in short bursts but some of the quests are pretty retardo, like go to this dungeon and farm it until you get the loot drop that you need. You might get lucky and get the item fast, or you might spend 3 hours of going through the dungeon and hoping that you'll get the item.

The minigames might be the worst offenders though and they have no place in an RPG with stats imo. It feels dumb when I am able to solve the lockpicking minigame but I still fail and set off the trap because my lockpicking skill wasn't high enough. Ok?? At that point the developer really needs to just pick either the stats or the minigames because the point when you are solving minigames successfully and still failing because of a stat check after the shitty minigame is the point where you have gone too far.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
Havent played this in awhile, still waiting on full release. The developer guy seems to be in the "solving micro issues" stage, i think i get an update every other day on steam (and this is going on for months now).

Drowed

Arcane
Game released today, it seems.

So... Anyone tried it yet? Any C&C in it? Interesting quests? Put it on my wichlist to watch it, for now. The reviews on Steam are as expected: vague and of little value.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looking at the Steam screenshots now. Some of the the female models seem very inspired by Bloodlines. I'll give it a shot eventually, because vampires. But my plate is full right now. I'll avoid the flood of patches this way too.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Nice music, ambiance sounds, lightening, atmosphere, but some animations are very amateur, and some are just hilarious and ridiculous (you see it and burst into laughter). Then in other areas the music is totally wrong, because they had no money to buy appropriate tracks and had to put something in there.

The combat feels like it's some prototype that was quickly assembled on Unity by some college kid in one or two days. Feels very indie and buggy. Your fireball (called firecraft) will sometimes start flying back and forth between you and your target for a couple of seconds at incredible speed, not hitting anything. If you fight in a tight space, the camera might start flying uncontrollably and you just start spamming "jump" to get out of this situation, which in itself can be difficult if you're stuck between a mob and a wall. Some mobs will suddenly jump through the roof and disappear. Others will get stuck in doors. The combat is very unpolished for a game that's been in development for years and which is supposed to be focused on combat.

Game tries too hard not to let you fail. Everyone in the first two areas was sending you to an NPC that was supposed to teach you "secret sight", and then you could also learn it through level up. Finally when you need it, just in case you're a complete retard, literally a drunken bum lying next to the secret door will teach you the skill.

Played on "Normal" and died twice in the first few hours. Once I got surrounded by some very tiny mobs that I couldn't see and couldn't escape (was stuck), and once got crashed by a door that closed suddenly for no reason. Otherwise, game seems to be easy - just strafe (or back away from the enemy) and shoot magic. I played as mage, there was also a warrior class, but I didn't try it.

Also some grammar mistakes like "could of" are outrageous, lol. Some dialogues in the city were like "jesus christ, who wrote this stuff... a 13 year old? The programmer's kid?". Most of the writing is ok/good though.

And couldn't figure out how to play their lockpicking minigame. There was no explanation, and screwing around with it didn't help.

I'd grab this game at some super sales if you're a VTMB fan, just to fuck around with it for a couple of hours. It's got that WoD vibe, sort of.

The game also features a shitload of game mechanics... most of them are there just for the sake of it, apparently. Most of them weren't channeled into anything entertaining or interesting, but they could've been.
- you can embrace bums and send them on their own quests, like henchmen in wow or you can use them to make them stand on some platform to solve a "puzzle". Didn't use them, had no need.
- you've got talents a la wow, although out of a few dozen talents I only found 2 useful ones. Others were like +3% electric damage. They're randomly generated.
- you have stats a la Diablo with +5 to stats at every level up. One is social (persuasion), one is for damage, others are for some shit like lock picking or equipping gear.
- you have blood management and flashlight batteries management
- you have main quests and side quests
- lockpick minigames
- "puzzles" (find the switch and flip it)
- crafting system for potions (didn't use them, not even once)
- randomely generated dungeons with a shitload of random gear, but no room in the inventory
- some nice spells/abilities like turn to mist, shapeshift, teleport, etc. They sounded cool from their description, but I didn't have time to unlock them.

Never seen a game that tries to do everything that much.

And if you're going to play it, you'll probably want to wait for patches. Shitload of bugs. And no v-sync, so there's a lot of screen tearing sometimes.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Been playing it a lot in the last couple days and ill adress some of this.
- you can embrace bums and send them on their own quests, like henchmen in wow or you can use them to make them stand on some platform to solve a "puzzle". Didn't use them, had no need.
You can embrace npcs at the hubs, they have better starting stats. You can use them for puzzles, but careful because if you set that option they can also step on traps. they are useful in dungeons as they are immortal and can tank some damage plus deal some and finish monsters, as a mage they are useful. as a fighter not sure.

- you've got talents a la wow, although out of a few dozen talents I only found 2 useful ones. Others were like +3% electric damage. They're randomly generated.
Talents points are very random on level up, a small chance dependant on intelligence. There are some stones that allow you to bypass the requeriment and pick any in the tree, plus also make the talent free. Some of the talents are extremely good, others are incredibly shit. They should be improved by a lot. For example there are some that give stats every level which are awesome, extra inventory which is a must have, etc.
- you have stats a la Diablo with +5 to stats at every level up. One is social (persuasion), one is for damage, others are for some shit like lock picking or equipping gear.
Actually dex helps with traps and locks, int helps with talents hacking and reading books, charisma gives more spell damage and mp, str gives more damage and allow you to equip better weapons, which are sometimes needed to break walls.

- you have blood management and flashlight batteries management
Blood managment isnt much of an issue unless you do a long dungeon romp. flashlight managment is kind of the same. Blood allows you to regen mp, otherwise to heal you need elixirs, so its really important. flashlights are kind of meh, they are useful exploring some levels tho.

- lockpick minigames
Yeah but they only exist in dungeons, not in the hubs, which is strange as fuck. most of them are easy enough, but the simon says one needs to die the fuck out.
love how failing to disarm traps damages the gear in the container and hurts you, the game still shows you what you are missing out on, which makes you want to invest in disarm traps.

- "puzzles" (find the switch and flip it)
No puzzles on dungeons, but in the game they keep getting trickier and trickier as you advance. Its understandable they are easy at first, never gonna understand why people judge puzzles on a game by only trying the first or second one, they are suposed to be easy for the player to get familiar with the mechanics.

- randomely generated dungeons with a shitload of random gear, but no room in the inventory
Talents give you extra inventory space, also you want to go down several levels for the dungeon to start being a challenge. experience and loot improves a LOT, but the game becomes harder and harder.

- some nice spells/abilities like turn to mist, shapeshift, teleport, etc. They sounded cool from their description, but I didn't have time to unlock them.
mist is sneak mode + no need key to pass gates. teleport can make some puzzles easier, its kinda like mark and recall but with duration of it in the seconds.

Never seen a game that tries to do everything that much.
Dins curse arguably, but yeah, and im loving it for it.

And if you're going to play it, you'll probably want to wait for patches. Shitload of bugs. And no v-sync, so there's a lot of screen tearing sometimes.
Ive yet to find any.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So....... are there any scantily clad or shirtless guys in this, or it it yet another scantily clad chicks with HUGE BOOBS simulator with vampires? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom