Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

nomask7

Arcane
Are you retarded?

Axiom has boring boss fights, though.

I'm a visionary. I'm bound to appear retarded to lesser minds, as is the fate of people like me through history.

Gozma

Arcane
Axiom has boring boss fights, though.

They look simple and easy but eh, I don't mind. I'm bad at platformers and the normal exploration gameplay of Metroid stuff doesn't really teach you many skills that boss fights could test , so I'd rather they be designed to be beaten in one or two tries by a shitter and only there to pace stuff and gate loot. I guess I'd play a true Castlevania type of game if I was struck by a desire to fight platformer bosses as a a core thing.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fair. Not great game design in my elitist book, but definitely fair. And the game is worth buying for the soundtrack alone, no matter what some faggot fur on the internet thinks.

Gozma

Arcane
Damn steamspy says Axiom has only sold 17K. BUt it's so good tho.

Guess the guy didn't know how to play publicity stuff. The writing also seems a little autistic, although it's fun to have a PC that speaks conversational English in a surreal plot.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Guess the guy didn't know how to play publicity stuff.

It's fine though - the guy is capable of easially getting work if he needs it due to his tremendous skillset - or he could make axiom 2 and build on that. I'm sure IGA would love to have him on board - as he was pretty impressed with axiom verge!

---

Arcane
New video, the game will be playable at the E3:

I want my 2D :(

EDIT: also, some pics:
bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night_2016_06-07-16_001_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night_2016_06-07-16_002_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night_2016_06-07-16_003_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night_2016_06-07-16_004_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night_2016_06-07-16_005_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night_2016_06-07-16_006_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

Last edited:

---

Arcane
The soundtrack is already good, though, and very Castlevani-esque :incline:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This looks very nice just what most Symphony of the Night fans wanted...even the jumping animation looks spot on

---

Arcane
I was forgetting, but this year they should publish also the "mini-game" prequel. I hope that they will reveal something during the E3 :M

Ivan

Arcane
looks great so far. the only Castlevania I didn't enjoy was the one where you had to corral scattered NPCs. I look forward to seeing how they deal with powers and movement abilities.

Ash

Arcane
^a man of fine taste. OoE was great. Dawn of Sorrow was a shitty version of Symphony of the Night. Portrait of Ruin weren't bad but still inferior to OoE.

Anyhow, the game is looking p.good based off of that video. Common enemies still dying way too easily and still not much of the environment playing into the gameplay, but I won't say no to another Metroidvania.

---

Arcane
I'm still not completely sold about the game. I mean, Symphony is one of my favourite games ever, but this one seems... I don't know, I can't explain well. Let's hope that the final version will be awesome.

Tehdagah

Arcane
/\ Same. I know it still in development but so far everything seems to be recycled from the other Metroidvania games. Similar enemy design, mechanics, soundtrack, art direction, etc. These repetitive rooms don't help, neither do the combat system (attack, attack, attack... Something like Mirror of Fates would be better).

The mastermind behind Castlevania Judgement.
Wasn't actually a bad game, if you played it. The art sucked nuts and that's what stuck out the most in that game.
It's meh. An arena fighter with no 4-players option is the biggest waste ever.

Ash

Arcane
/\ Same. I know it still in development but so far everything seems to be recycled from the other Metroidvania games. Similar enemy design, mechanics, soundtrack, art direction, etc. These repetitive rooms don't help, neither do the combat system (attack, attack, attack... Something like Mirror of Fates would be better).

This describes every IGA Metriodvania since Symphony of the Night. Not necessarily a bad thing. Change just for change's sake is not always good, when something works well there's no shame in sticking to it and iterating slightly. To me, the art direction looks like an iteration/evolution of the old ones. The stat system is more expansive now, usually there's STR/CON/INT/LCK, now there's three more. When was the last time you saw a sequel with MORE depth in RPG systems? It doesn't happen often. I agree things can be taken to another level across the board if the execution is good, I want the level design to play a part in the gameplay more, and the things you suggest (combat combos) would be nice, but I'm fine with more of the same with minor changes. As long as it isn't shit or dumbed down, because that's all we usually get these days.

---

Arcane
Iga said more than once that he doesn't really like combo-based combat systems, and that he prefers simple attacks.
So I don't think that we will see a combat system like the one of Mirror of Fate.
Two things that I really don't like about this Bloodstained are the art direction, and the characters animation (as concerns the second one, I hope that this is still an early early version, though).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom