Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bomber Crew - Cartoony WW2 Lancaster & B-17 management

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://bombercrewgame.com/

ss_855ae2e164a7ec5049ad165f2ec4c6543266adb8.1920x1080.jpg

ss_7d2396334a51ffcaa734275917cb2e1d9418230f.1920x1080.jpg

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/08/the-flare-path-museum-piece/

Bomber Crew is warming its engines and waggling its flight control surfaces. On Oct 19th, if all goes to plan, a green Very light will fizz heavenward and anyone with £TBA to spare will get the chance to find out whether Runner Duck’s 3D-FTL-with-Lancasters is W for Wizard or S for Shite. The evening I’ve just spent with the single-mission sliver of preview code suggests the game will generate far more compliments than complaints, but won’t fully satisfy fans of No Moon Tonight and B-17: Queen of the Skies.
Tweaking everything from crew headgear to the armour thicknesses on specific fuselage sections in order to achieve double-edged, ahistorical performance gains? I guess some will enjoy the faffing, but to me it’s simply a tiresome illusion eroder, a cheap, discordant way of adding interest to inter-mission intermissions.

Things start improving when tyres leave tarmac. The dumpy 3D Lanc is a dear, the bobbleheaded crew hard to dislike. Moody lighting and clotted cream clouds encourage camera twirling and daydreaming.

Initial decisions are few, altitude choice determining flak and fighter vulnerability, crew comfort (higher = colder) and bombing, recon, and navigation efficiency.

You don’t actually ‘fly’ the plane or operate the turrets yourself. Your heading is set by switching to a zoomed ‘tag mode’ and placing a nav marker in an appropriate sector of sky. Combat is handled in a similar manner. When bogey blips appear on the GUI radar it’s up to you to quickly switch to tag mode, scour the sky, and centre each bandit in your reticule for a few seconds. Once tagged, Luftwaffe interceptors are automatically peppered by turret gunners…

…assuming those turret gunners are still conscious, and haven’t quit their battlestations to wield spanners or syringes.

Like FTL, Bomber Crew really blossoms when crewmen start keeling over and things start catching fire and spewing sparks. The preview mission is no cakewalk and a dramatically condensed map mean difficult choices aren’t slow in arriving. One minute you’re admiring a Lincolnshire sunset, the next you’re looking aghast at a cutaway bomber riddled with holes and awash with calamity. Should Woods try to staunch Taylor’s wounds or stay in the mid-upper turret just in case those Bf-109s return? Should hard-pressed Henderson repair the hydraulics or oxygen system first? If I order Walker to fly a corkscrew manoeuvre in order to shake-off that horribly persistent enemy ace, will Mackay, currently out on the wing fighting an engine fire, be able to hang on?

It will probably suck

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Its interesting how perceptions change.

Release this game while WW2 rages and its great entertainment and domestic propagada aimed at kids.
Release it post WW2 in non KWA country and its vile morally degenerate cartoon.

When I was a moral being I would consider it a disgusting infantillism and trivilization of ultimate sacrify and duty.
Now I just wish there were no fucking niggers in it.
1. Little people on screen aren't real. This is important rule of thumb for computer game players and drone pilots.
2. This seems to be inferior in every way compared to B-17: the Mighty 8th.
3. I still might check it out because I'm pretty much in look out for FTL-like games. Casual games are good distraction once a while.

mbv123

Arbiter
Can I firebomb Hamburg, Dresden, Cologne, etc. in this game? Cause that's all the British Bombing Campaign ever did in WW2.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
y.
Now I just wish there were no fucking niggers in it.

Silence you Nazi Putin Troll! Romans in Britain were black and so were Lancasters and Wellingtons crews. Seriously would back if not hipster graphics (Don't mind it being cartony/old style like in Deference of Reich) and lack of Soviet planes. German :butthurt:would be a bonus if game was historically and not politically correct.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Meanwhile, in 1984:

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

44833-the-dam-busters-dos-screenshot-main-menu-choose-up-to-3-campaigns.gif

44834-the-dam-busters-dos-screenshot-strategic-map.gif

44839-the-dam-busters-dos-screenshot-controls-where-the-eject-button.gif

Now honestly, which would you prefer to play for your Lancashire needs? This, or Bomber Crew?

mbv123

Arbiter
Meanwhile, in 1984:

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

44833-the-dam-busters-dos-screenshot-main-menu-choose-up-to-3-campaigns.gif

44834-the-dam-busters-dos-screenshot-strategic-map.gif

44839-the-dam-busters-dos-screenshot-controls-where-the-eject-button.gif

Now honestly, which would you prefer to play for your Lancashire needs? This, or Bomber Crew?
Or better yet, download IL-2 1946 and install one of the modpacks and campaigns that allow you to play as an RAF pilot in Western Front 1942-45

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Sigh... hipster "art" direction.

mods will fix it :lol:

I believe I had seen screenshots were they even had women in the Lancaster at which point I thought, this is beyond retarded.

Btw I missed out on the B17 game that came out 15 years ago and was quite decent.

The last game of that sort I played was Dam Busters on the C64. And there was something really creepy and exciting about flying into the darkness over Germany, and it completely dragged me in at the time.

Endemic

Arcane
If only it was half as good as FTL. :P

I believe I had seen screenshots were they even had women in the Lancaster at which point I thought, this is beyond retarded.

I don't know if any women crewed Lancasters, but RAF torpedo bombers had been flown by female pilots since WW1. Then there's the USSR (including some all-female units like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches for example). IL-2 Sturmovik didn't throw female radio voices in for political correctness, you know.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I don't know if any women crewed Lancasters, but RAF torpedo bombers had been flown by female pilots since WW1. Then there's the USSR (including some all-female units like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches for example). IL-2 Sturmovik didn't throw female radio voices in for political correctness, you know.

:what:

Everyone knows that women make decent pilots and they did fly aircraft in all countries. But in bombers? You need gunners and mechanics and guys that work as a team even when half of them have just lost their limbs due to flak and in that role women are completely unsuited. I have no doubt that a woman could fly a bomber just fine, or that they were well suited as as radio operators, but mixed crews were also not possible at the time.

sser

Arcane
Developer
8DBDF4472243400AAF5AB168775F0F53AEA03004

80D6E1C3F0F1DA1E3046B732EE2E7EA354567221

The game is fun, though could use some improvements. Note, it is very arcadey (if the graphics didn't tip you off), but it uses the aesthetic well.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Watch a couple of videos and man it looks stressful. Seems like you are under constant attack while everything on the plane breaks down and needs fixing.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Watch a couple of videos and man it looks stressful. Seems like you are under constant attack while everything on the plane breaks down and needs fixing.

Yes. And the tutorial does a woeful job of preparing you for any of it. The tutorial is super simple and then the first mission out you might get swarmed by 6-fighters and you still don't even really have a grasp of any of the roles or sub-options they have.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fun game, if you like FTL, you will like this.
You earn research, $ and XP for replayable missions.
Losing crew and the plane will give you an inferior replacement that you have to improve again.
Good planning and execution will save you from losing. You can quit ingame to 'cheat' to prevent loses though not necessary once you learn the tricks.
Has a limited refillable over time slowdown to make things easier, I rarely use it unlike the pause button on FTL.

I like fun details like forgetting to retract the landing gear and when landing, discovered that a wheel was shot off, ordering the crew to bail out over Britain and hope the pilot manages land the plane safely. I also made sure that the bomb bay is empty incase the landing blows up the bombs.

10/10

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've got many issues with this game, but here is one of the most obvious:

Losing crew and the plane will give you an inferior replacement that you have to improve again.

Unless this has been patched recently, getting shot down will actually get you a better plane for the next mission. What is the point of getting my bobbleheads home safe and sound if they could just as easily be replaced by the next batch?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unless this has been patched recently, getting shot down will actually get you a better plane for the next mission. What is the point of getting my bobbleheads home safe and sound if they could just as easily be replaced by the next batch?
Have only recently got the game but currently the replacements are inferior and people complain about grinding back up.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/games/537800/announcements/detail/1681414719835041470

Challenge Mode Free Update Available Now

Hello!

The latest patch for Bomber Crew is now available, which includes a brand new game mode and controller support, amongst other things!

9f4b71c6d49130d71ffd935bf1be9c780d89b1d4.png

Thanks again for playing and letting us know what you think- We hope you enjoy this latest update!

o7
homingpigeon

Jon & Dave
Runner Duck

Here's all the features:

missiontarget
New Challenge Game Mode!
For a change of pace, jump straight into the action and survive wave after wave of intensifying challenges. Take a reusable crew, experiment with your loadouts and see how they fare on the global leaderboards!

The key to a highscore is to clear each wave objective quickly and grab those pickups! Collected by tagging and flying through them, pickups will level up your crew, refuel or repair your bomber, and restore your crew's health.

This new mode is great for a blast of aerial action when you're not quite ready to risk your campaign crew on that perilous next mission!

56851ed27094b3cb564bcd676861cfefbbd3e89c.gif

missiontarget
Controller Support
Sit back and play Bomber Crew at ease!

We recommend starting a new game and playing through the tutorial so you can become comfortable with the controls before you play with your valuable crews. (We've added an extra save slot for this, in case yours are all full). Challenge mode is also a great way to get to grips with the new control scheme.

0b38eb2ca0a46933fe0c412be278100ece61dd2b.gif

(The gamepad display in this gif is just for illustrative purposes :) )

missiontarget
‘Character Editor’
In addition to changing the names of your recruits and crew members, you can now customise their appearance!

8a85f4cff33c41e19995a7a25958aa55ddeadff4.gif

missiontarget
Game Save Preview Photos
When choosing a saved game to load, you'll now see a natty group photo of your crews and their aircraft!

19b39517cb79fbca8caaed03295144176dcbf86a.png

missiontarget
Fast Forward Debrief Sequence
Minimise the time you spend having your face rubbed in your crew's demise!
Click the fast-forward button to speed through the debrief sequence.

400881b59bd2a35cffe2f9fc7b4917d67e45d570.png

missiontarget
Clearer HUD in missions

missiontarget
Framerate Optimisations

missiontarget
Various Bug Fixes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom