Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Books You'd Love To See Adapted Into CRPG's

vazha

Arcane
The title is quite self-explanatory, methinks. A couple of favorites, mostly medieval fiction:

1. Ivanhoe by Walter Scott. I honestly cannot believe how this has not been adapted into a game yet. It has everything: Fancy Knights, epic Battles & Duels, awesome villains, Lionheart & King John, Robin Hood and his merry band of fuckers, and even some jews for your left-leaning urges (portrayed in a manner that would ensure epic-scale butthurt among the SJW, but surely that's a good thing?)

2. Nigel Loring and The White Band, both by Conan Doyle. Just... Just imagine Battle Brothers / Darklands / M&B crossover with a coherent, story-driven narrative (something both games lacked). Oh my god. The mere thought of it is enough to stir my loins.

3. The Crusaders by H. Sienkiewicz. Only because With Fire and Sword series was already adapted into a M & B add-on. Would be a perfect fit for KCD type of game, mayhaps can serve as an inspiration for its second installment. Sienkiewicz can pen both duels & epic battles with equal mastery and is probably at his best when portraying OTT romantics of chivalry. 100 % gaming material

4. The Adventures of Captain Alatriste by Arturo Perez-Reverte. In comparison with the above mentioned three, this one might be a tad difficult to pull off because of copyright issues, but I for sure would love to play as a 17th century Spanish mercenary who was "a swordsman for those people who did not have the skills or the courage to be".

That would be my five cents. Please do carry on, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Malazan. Rather laughable as literature, but would make for a great CRPG if done right.

The title is quite self-explanatory, methinks. A couple of favorites, mostly medieval fiction:

1. Ivanhoe by Walter Scott. I honestly cannot believe how this has not been adapted into a game yet.

Defender of the Crown?

Deleted member 7219

Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Half-Life 2 came close but nothing has really got to the horror of that world, but it would make for an excellent Torment-like RPG. Much more than any Monte Cook setting would.

Tigranes

Arcane
Naturally, Rabelais' The Horrible and Terrifying Deeds and Words of the Very Renowned Pantagruel King of the Dipsodes, Son of the Great Giant Gargantua, c.1532.

iu

Zer0wing

Cipher
Satirarum libri by Petronius Arbiter. The books are disconnected from each other, so might end up being a good sandbox rpg in vein of Darklands.

-EDIT-
Also Trotsky's History of the Russian revolution, part 1. You won't find stories capturing the attention and touching like this in Hollywood and Triple A vidya.

Last edited:

Freddie

Savant
Larry Correia's Monster Hunter International.

Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

Anabasis (Xenophon) adaption like The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell (John G. Hemry). Could be set to about any era.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
-The Song of Roland- Classic war, heroism, high adventure

-Chronicles of Prydain- Alternate welsh myths, perfect for an RPG

-Book of Swords- The swords would be the coolest items ever

-Amber Series- freeroam across Shadow world plz

-Moorcock's Hawkmoon/Elric/Corum novels- Interesting to adapt the "eternal champion" concept. Good mix of character types and abilities available in each series.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Barring that, The Night Land would make for a good RPG.

I always wanted to see this in a blobber, first the pyramid where you collect the tech and stuff, then you go out into the eternal night, where you gradually see less and less until all you have are occasional flashes of light to get a glimpse of the horrors out there

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom