Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 2 is a MASSIVE potato

Multi-headed Cow

Goddamn this is fun. Had EXCITING STORY DEVELOPMENTS and fought so goddamn many robots and engineers. And heard of the glorious motor-powered blowjob machines of Hyperion. Since I think we're getting near the end of playthrough 1 much like Borderlands 1 the game's really picking up in terms of interesting guns and dangerous enemies. Finding cool shit constantly and having entertaining firefights with some downs but usually reviving with a second wind.

And here's a picture my comrade took of me with my wings kawaii uguu~~~

46D9F93CD69D0629CF34FD6B138BD91BEE1BF440

EDIT: Oh yeah. Me and buddybro there each got one of these guns. Not only are they powerful, but it sounds awesome when you have two people firing these wildly.

Gerrard

Arcane
Does anyone notice any weird stuff with volume levels of NPC voices / sound effects / PC voices? They seem to go all over the place. I thought it might be because of my audio setup, but it has no problems in other games.

JrK

Prophet
They get softer as you go away from them, but at a certain range they switch to "audio transmitter" mode instead of "live mode" and that's the loudest they can get. So the transition is abrupt.

Losing a Goliath before god-level is like losing a son. A son who you were preparing to murder for items after leading him through large groups of enemies whom you tricked him into killing. This metaphor isn't really working right, let's just say it makes me sad.

Multi-headed Cow

There there Morgorth, it still has some brown in it so you know it's a shooter.

And yeah Manatee, trying to level goliaths up now that I know the trick (Trick being they need kills, not time to rank up) is kinda fun. Could also be a bit dangerous but fortunately being a siren means you just phaselock him and shoot the bajesus out of him when the time comes. Rarely ever gets a chance to hit a player.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I find the hard part tends to be keeping him alive. Lots of areas have shit that will eat goliaths alive, like buzzards or lab rats.

Gerrard

Arcane
Found a 7700 damage rocket launcher around level 25. Feels like a nice equalizer for some of the bullshit the game throws at you at times, though I don't really like how they gave launchers some kind of super weapon status.
Also still no homing/guided ones, FFS do people that made this even play video games?

They get softer as you go away from them, but at a certain range they switch to "audio transmitter" mode instead of "live mode" and that's the loudest they can get. So the transition is abrupt.
Nah, it's not that. Sometimes I'm standing right next to an NPC talking and it's incredibly quiet, like even the calm background music is drowning it out, and I have music on 6 and voices on 9. Other times shit gets incredibly loud, like earlier today I had one place where the combat music got so loud I could barely hear the transmissions.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I found a midget goliath I wanted to reach midget godliath status, but a badass marauder two shot him :(

Multi-headed Cow

I actually like that rockets are superweapons. They went from almost completely useless in the first game to really good in the second, but with quite expensive ammo if you want to keep it stocked up. Also enjoying some of the BL2 grenade mods, like I've got one at the moment at level 30 which is seeking, sticky, bonus explosive damage, and does something like 2000X9 damage since it splits apart. Also got a sniper rifle that does something like 16,000 damage on crits, it's the BL2 equivalent of the BL1 elephant gun. No scope and no elemental damage, just crazy high normal damage.

Now that I think about it some of that 16,000 crit may be because of my siren skill that causes me to do a bunch of extra damage while enemies are above 50% life. Lets me one shot shit with that rifle.

Goliath leveling is dependent on getting them to kill stuff fast. Every time they level up they regain all health. So try to get things down to 10% health and then leave them alone if possible.

I actually like that rockets are superweapons. They went from almost completely useless in the first game to really good in the second, but with quite expensive ammo if you want to keep it stocked up. Also enjoying some of the BL2 grenade mods, like I've got one at the moment at level 30 which is seeking, sticky, bonus explosive damage, and does something like 2000X9 damage since it splits apart. Also got a sniper rifle that does something like 16,000 damage on crits, it's the BL2 equivalent of the BL1 elephant gun. No scope and no elemental damage, just crazy high normal damage.

Now that I think about it some of that 16,000 crit may be because of my siren skill that causes me to do a bunch of extra damage while enemies are above 50% life. Lets me one shot shit with that rifle.

Man I got the unique drop from the 2nd boss of the game (the midgets with the cannon). 250ishx10 (and I think it was x20 actually, special 2x effect), but most importantly 0 fuse time and a pretty high radius. Awesome stuff for early levels. In general doing a boss a few times over to get their unique seems to be a good idea.

Ermm

Erudite
Ok, I tried the original Borderlands few hrs ago. The beginning itself was kind of shitty, but it got a little bit fun afterwards. But still, I can't imagine myself playing this for long. I would personally choose very long and sprawling levels instead of a world where there is nothing to do (except fetch quests) and backtracking in a world with, I say again, nothing to do. Humor of the game is pretty abysmal from little I have seen (''This boss is a mean dude, and HE HAS THREE BALLS'').

But at least Gearbox is moving away from it's WW2 FPS factory status for a while already. Duke Nukem was not really their misstep, so I have to say that they are getting better as an AAA company (don't know about Colonial Marines). I hope that in future they are going to deliver an excellent FPS.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
I wonder if it's worth playing the original GOTY edition. Some people are saying that Borderlands 1 with the DLCs is better in that it is less streamlined and that the loot system is better (more diverse, better distributed, and more random).

JrK

Prophet
Better loot system in 1? :S Maybe the weapons did look a lot more varied, but I prefer that I'm actually using a lot of different guns in 2, even whites.

Gerrard

Arcane
Ok, I tried the original Borderlands few hrs ago. The beginning itself was kind of shitty, but it got a little bit fun afterwards. But still, I can't imagine myself playing this for long. I would personally choose very long and sprawling levels instead of a world where there is nothing to do (except fetch quests) and backtracking in a world with, I say again, nothing to do. Humor of the game is pretty abysmal from little I have seen (''This boss is a mean dude, and HE HAS THREE BALLS'').
2nd has MUCH less shitty MMORPG "Collect 10 bear asses" quests, so it's better in that aspect at least. There's still a lot of running around the maps though. So much that by the time you get back to where you started all enemies have already respawned.

Better loot system in 1? :S Maybe the weapons did look a lot more varied, but I prefer that I'm actually using a lot of different guns in 2, even whites.
The loot generation system in 2 is shit, everything is homogenized and boring. The only improvement came in the shape of guns actually firing something else than regular bullets.
Majority of the interesting weapons are still "uniques" and not something that can be randomly generated.

Difficulty gets fucking retarded near the end of the game too and relies heavily on what gear you happened to find.
People wanted BL2 to be to BL1 what Diablo 2 was to the original Diablo.
But we got Diablo 3 instead.

Gearbox still sucks and Randy is still a faggot.

JrK

Prophet
The loot generation system in 2 is shit, everything is homogenized and boring. The only improvement came in the shape of guns actually firing something else than regular bullets.
Majority of the interesting weapons are still "uniques" and not something that can be randomly generated.
BL1 was the same and even worse, still don't get the comparison.

Gerrard

Arcane
For example, it is technically impossible to find a good assault rifle or machinegun in BL2 due to the way they are generated. Something will always suck about it.

Also, in my 1 and a half playthroughs I have so far ran across 3 containers that had 2 of the exact same item.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Apparently they're going to provide some (free?) content other than the standard DLC. There's some Project Orchid/Pirate's Booty DLC on the Steam registry along with some upcoming Halloween thing.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

No it wasn't; BL2 is much more of a jew with decent drops, and farming for legendaries from bosses is a fucking waste of time. Chests are much worse, too.

Topher

Cipher
People wanted BL2 to be to BL1 what Diablo 2 was to the original Diablo.

Over-produced grind-ware instead of a fun pick-up and play graphical RL?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom