Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 2 is a MASSIVE potato

Gregz

Arcane
BL1 was the same and even worse, still don't get the comparison.

No it wasn't; BL2 is much more of a jew with decent drops, and farming for legendaries from bosses is a fucking waste of time. Chests are much worse, too.

Sounds like the game needs a /players 8 mode for soloing.

I just started playing a few days ago, writing and voice acting was better in Borderlands 1 imo, but I hear the late-game stuff gets better.

Multi-headed Cow

It needs /players 8 for loot, but not difficulty. Doing playthrough 2 with a bro and we get downed quite regularly and get killed a fair amount. It's quite a bit harder than playthrough 2 ever was in BL1.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Is there a mod for either Borderlands 1 or 2 that increases the penalty for dying? As it is right now, they only seem to take some of your money away. It takes away from the excitement, when you know that death just means loss of some pocket change.

Gregz

Arcane
Is there a mod for either Borderlands 1 or 2 that increases the penalty for dying? As it is right now, they only seem to take some of your money away. It takes away from the excitement, when you know that death just means loss of some pocket change.

You lose like 2 million per death at the highest level if I recall.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
I wish there was a hardcore mode, where you die and that's it. I wonder why they came up with the 2nd wind crap anyway.

Multi-headed Cow

'cause Borderlands is pretty easygoing. I like the second wind system quite a bit, lets me throw myself around when I probably shouldn't and then have a chance to get myself out of it.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
It's worse than slowly regenerating health crap they have in some shooters because it frankly makes no sense, unless you're a vampire or something and you are leeching their life.

Topher

Cipher
The classes don't feel as forced into certain weapon categories which makes them feel a little more open. That said I still find assault rifles to be boring, which is a major disappointment because I like the solider and his turret much better this time around.

A hardcore mode or /players8 would be great. As it stands now I've already quite playing because I just feel inundated with junk weapons and scavenging container after container for ammo has worn thin. I think the real issue is that my fatigue from Borderlands 1 has carried right over into Borderlands 2 without missing a beat.

It's worse than slowly regenerating health crap they have in some shooters because it frankly makes no sense, unless you're a vampire or something and you are leeching their life.

The solider class has regenerating health as a first level perk and a shield regenerating ability which is based on damage done not much further up the tree. Honestly, the second wind mechanic doesn't have to make any realistic sense. Borderlands isn't the type of game screaming out for realistic game mechanics. As long as it's fun and enhances co-op it's a justified mechanic.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Started playing Borderlands 1, and I'm wondering why they took some features out (not really - of course it's due to the general "streamlining" trend we're witnessing today), like being damaged when you fall from high places.

And also, I prefer the gun mastery system over the point system in Borderlands 2, where you get like 0.8% boost to some stat. You don't even really get to choose which stat you want to raise, since the game limits which stat you can raise each time to balance things out. But in Borderlands 1, I keep trying to switch from weapon to weapon in order to raise the mastery level. This in essence can limit the type of weapons I can use later in the game (if I hadn't bothered to use them before), but it also adds a RPG element (though very light) to the game.

And is it just me or does Borderlands 1 not run as smoothly. I don' t have any problems with stuttering in Borderlands 2, but Borderlands 1 is already getting some FPS drops.

Gerrard

Arcane
I wish there was a hardcore mode, where you die and that's it. I wonder why they came up with the 2nd wind crap anyway.
Because you die in 2 seconds once you get near the end of the game, and in 2nd playthrough.

Also tell me you did not just pull the "it's not realistic" card.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Because you die in 2 seconds once you get near the end of the game, and in 2nd playthrough.

Oh really?

Is it just me or is Borderlands 1 harder in the beginning? Those scat dogs or whatever can take you out in a couple of leaps, and seem more formidable than the bullymongs.

It's funny how you can get some good weapons quite easily even from bone/trash/poop pile, so that quest items are basically useless and you are forced to throw away decent items because your pack gets so loaded.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
What fun is that, making sense?

I was just commenting on how difficult it is to get good loot in Borderlands 2, while it is literally littered in Borderlands 1. It shows how badly the game is balanced gameplay wise, but at the same time you could say that the game is more fun because you don't have to do side quests to get good equipment. If the missions did away with the item rewards and gave you more experience, they would be more worth it I guess.

It is also insane how easy money is to come by in Borderlands 1. I must have accumulated a fortune already even though I have only played several hours.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Yeah, once enemies start using lasers, missiles and sniper rifles, shit stops being even remotely fair. And the fucking burrowing worm things. Fuck those.

UserNamer

Cipher
I'm enjoying this game a lot. It's like oblivion, but instead of having a shitty generic fantasy setting, it has a much more well done sci-fi\post apocalyptic setting (with some unique artistic flavour), and much more fun and interesting combat sequence- plus some cool mad max style car duels. Also instead of picking up mushrooms and berries you open toilets and fridge for ammo and guns

I can't really tell how much different the skill trees are, I'm just a level 15 Zer0. I know I'm putting lots of skill points and mods into stuff like reload speed and firing speed, so that I can run and gun stuff, while using the hologram\invisibility skill to get out of sticky situations and to backstab tougher enemies. I'm having fun this way, but I can't tell how different the game would be by putting point into the other skill trees.

My gripes with the game:

-at the beginning, the game tries too hard with atrocious humor. Humor is subjective, but I think it's universal that having a joke a second is generally a bad idea. Plus you get stupid jokes like "I bought a diamond pony and I called butt stallion" , "boner farts" and other shit. The game is full with references to stuff and internet memes, really grating if you get them. Eventually the game shut ups a bit and you are free to play the game with some silence, just the well done sounds of the gun and the nice music, while exploring and shooting up stuff. I would love a less idiotic writer with a less lame humor style in the next game.

-the game feels bulky at the starts, because it is full of fastidious mechanics (you need to reload every few shots and it takes forever, you shoot one time and the crosshair reticle widens to cover all the screen). This may satisfy people who value rpg mechanics, as putting points into the right skill will make stuff like accuracy and reload speed quicker and quicker

-lots of clearly console inspired gameplay mechanics. The big enemies are mega slow to favor even the most cerebral palsy affected console player to move behind the bulkier monster with shields to hit them in the back. Stuff like this. There is some general bulky feel to it, that feel that screams "console fps". I try to run and gun stuff and with the right combination of player and character skill it can be fun, but there is always this general bulky console feel around the corner.

RPGMaster

Savant
My biggest problem is the amount of time wasted "turning" quests "in". What fucktard thought this would be a good idea, why not just give you your rewards when you complete the missions instead of all this pointless travelling?

aris

Arcane
It does gives you a greater sense of reward if you finish 4-5 quests and then go to turn them all in, in a row, rather than gradually getting the rewards for each quest.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It does gives you a greater sense of reward if you finish 4-5 quests and then go to turn them all in, in a row, rather than gradually getting the rewards for each quest.

IE, standard MMO filler. Also pads the average play time of the game to give the illusion of more content.

aris

Arcane
Going somewhere to turn in quests isn't an MMO filler: It has been a staple of CRPGs since its beginning. If the quest didn't need to be turned in, you would be complaining that it's dumbing the game down for console tards. Also, while it is padding, it isn't heavy padding, you use much more time doing the quests than actually turning them in.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not really since the Borderlands series doesn't pretend to be anything but dumbed down. It is what they billed it as 'Diablo with guns' although it's more like Diablo 3 with guns given the tepid 'talent specializations.'

aris

Arcane
Have you even played BL2 yet? You seem much to busy sucking TL2's flaccid indie-dick and hating on BL2 and D3 for codex approval, to have time.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Have you even played TL2 yet? You seem much too busy sucking BL2's and D3's flaccid corporate-dick and hating on TL2 for codex approval, to have time. :smug:

aris

Arcane
I haven't, because the game does not interest me, at least not for now. You're wrong, saying that I spend time on hating on TL2 though, I've stated once that the game looks and seems like shit, which it does, and after that, I've ignored it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom