Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bound by Flame - ARPG where the PC is possessed by a demon

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
neither is it necessary, nor is it about loading. i just dislike having to scroll through very long mostly empty posts.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
iYUz9a8oIxP3k.gif

Totally Dragon Age 2

Borelli

Arcane
Apparently some people didn't get the memo and so think that RPG stands for Rectum Pounding Gay game.:mhd:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This game looks like a cheap Dragon Age clone. A bad one. Probably worth pirating...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This game looks like a cheap Dragon Age clone. A bad one. Probably worth pirating...

Dragon Age or The Witcher? I'm undecided.

Edit:
"In Bound by Flame, the combat system lets you instantly switch between three stances (Fighter, Ranger, and Pyromancer), allowing you to adapt to the enemy you're facing on the fly," says Miled.

I think is more like The Witcher. Dragon Age had only one stance: Retarded.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Dragon Age, even the second shitty one, was RtwP tactical with a dash of MMO. I don't see any of that in this game, weird comparison.

Witcher 2 I very much see.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Their first game was basically Twitcher in space. So yes, now, they've just gone fantasy and it's just a low-cost Twitcher.

I'm ok with that.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Not a good a thing. KoA = shitty combat, no C&C, empty mmo locations, crappy dialog, carpal tunnel inducing qtes every 3 seconds; only decent thing about was the character system and different builds you could make but was not enough to salvage the game.

I am not trolling. It is true that any single part of Amalur is nothing special and there are alot of flaws. But everything together still made for a game I could not stop playing. I guess it is good for what it is, a Skyrim/WoW crossover with a massive amount of (repetitive) content and some few nice ideas.

Yeah, Amalur was unexpectedly addictive for a space. I really liked it, almost despite myself. World-wise, it felt like a single player WoW. It really was huge. But the DLC was overpowered as fuck so if you played Teeth of Naros or Dead Kel, it feels like the rest of the game is stupidly easy afterwards.

Like you, I am definitely picking up the Amalur vibe from this game.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Also lol @ DEADARMY, I swear to god you yuropeeins need to run this shit by native English speakers before you start crapping this stuff out. That sounds hilariously stupid. Ridiculous. Awful.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Their first game was basically Twitcher in space. So yes, now, they've just gone fantasy and it's just a low-cost Twitcher.

I'm ok with that.

Bound by the Flame: The low-cost Witcher you have been waiting for ... except that is not so low cost. Currently is 17.79 Euro.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Amalur was unexpectedly addictive for a space. I really liked it, almost despite myself. World-wise, it felt like a single player WoW. It really was huge. But the DLC was overpowered as fuck so if you played Teeth of Naros or Dead Kel, it feels like the rest of the game is stupidly easy afterwards.

Every word written or spoken in that game was just so boring. I like big open worlds with repetitive combat in other games, but Amalur just put me to sleep.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Also lol @ DEADARMY, I swear to god you yuropeeins need to run this shit by native English speakers before you start crapping this stuff out. That sounds hilariously stupid. Ridiculous. Awful.
DARKSPAWN was already taken.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

That's what the very first trailer for the game should've been to pique people's interest. Looking back on and comparing it to that "gameplay" trailer, just... ugh. Also, Spiders always seem to put a pretty penny into soundtrack department, at least if Of Orcs and Men and this are anything to go by. It's appreciated over GENERIC FANTASY ORCHESTRA #571 we usually get.

As a non-native speaker myself I have to ask is that really the case? "Army of [insert noun here]" you generally see is much worse if you ask me. "Dead-Army" sounds like a Bound in Flame specific thing which gives it certain character and recognizability. Perhaps it's just me and my ignorant ways, though.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

Every word written or spoken in that game was just so boring. I like big open worlds with repetitive combat in other games, but Amalur just put me to sleep.

I agree with you on this, no doubt. The writing was just the most awful pile of Fantasy cliches you could ask for. For all of their hype about getting RA Salvatore on board, the game had amazingly bland writing. It was all technically proficient, of course. But it had no soul.

Amalur is a great example of how you can tick of all the boxes for BEST CRPG EVER -- millions in cash for a budget, a prolific and popular fantasy author (Salvatore), a well-known artist (McFarlane), a CEO who actually plays games (Schilling), and one of the lead designers from Morrowind (Rolston)-- but still fail to deliver. Just like the writing, everything was technically proficient but completely soulless. There is a case study in there, somewhere. "How To Get Everything Right, and Still Fail."

Xeon

Augur

PS4 stream linked on Reddit

Edit:
I watched a few Twitch streams yesterday (I assume the Brits got it earlier on PS4?) and so far I've noticed:

1) It's so ungodly brown! Brown city with people covered in brown armor going to a brown swamp with brown trees and brown dirt. Uglier than shit but pretty much the same color.

2) Some guy spent most of the day leveling up to 14 and he was still stuck in the same area. Get quests, go to swamp, turn in quests, get more quests, return to same swamp.

3) Combat is tough. Seems like you start out at a disadvantage at first getting slaughtered by swamp creatures. Then you return later with skills and things get easier. You have to learn the patterns for each different creature or you'll get slaughtered in two or three hits. Health potions aren't easy to come by either.

4) Companions, mostly useless. They serve as a distraction so you can get a few hits in before they fall and it's you against whatever you're fighting.
Comment, Probably talking about the same stream.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
It's so ugly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom