Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bound by Flame - ARPG where the PC is possessed by a demon

Alonebadman

Educated
About the same as Witcher 2. There are some "open areas" for stealth/murder hobo time but it's pretty linear. But Witcher 2 is much prettier. If you're on the fence, I would just wait for the game/ save your money for somethimg else/ to go down to 25-30 dollars in 6 months. I only bought it because RPG drought and summer time usually sucking for regular games.

Actually Bound by Flame is essentially Witcher 1.5. Similiar quests/act hub. Similiar traps/crafting system. Combat is more enjoyable but you're not going to get Dark Souls level sastification from killing shit. The best way I can describe it is fun to play but don't go in with any expectations. It's good for what it is. It's a flawed game no doubt but made on a small team/shoe string budget, I can forgive it.

Name

Cipher
Cyanide/Spiders has the highest output rate in Western RPG production, and they can put up core gameplay on par with studios like Obsidian (though that's not saying much).
Even the graphics and something like, shall we say, "production values" are semi-AAA quality.
These dickheads just need a fucking better writer(s) who can actually write some shit that will not leave a strange taste after you finished their games. Someone fucking takes over their company and replace those writers! What did they do to the writers for Game of Throne RPG anyway? That one actually has a decent story and writing (and a sub-par core game-play)! Different studios?

Modron

Arcane
Yes different studios, GoT was developed by Cyanide who then passed off the engine to Spiders to make Of Orcs and Men and subsequently Mars: War Logs and this game. Spiders must work for peanuts because GoT was actually a good game and I see no reason why Cyanide would not develop another rpg in house on their engine lest those frenchies would deliver a game for substantially less money.

Name

Cipher
Done some seaching online and it makes me have a headache.
First it seems Cyanide and Spiders share personnel, like the lead designer of Game of Thrones later works on Spiders games.
Second it seems that the posts of lead writers are always filled by people who have other posts, like lead designer/CEO/QA Lead/Art Lead/etc. So either in Game of Throne they happens to assemble a team of writers who are very good, or it's because of Ty Franck who must have been overseeing the project.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah I never dug around to much in employee overlap since spiders had been around previously to working with Cyanide but am not surprised they share employees now since they are in all but name a cyanide development studio.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I got it for $20 through GMG so I'll post my thoughts once I get time to play.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Spiders/Cyanide games. I think their writing is fine too, particularly for GoT and Orcs. Their dialogue feels natural and the storylines are coherent. Better than what BioWare puts out, more or less on par with Obsidian though not with Obsidian's best work. Not bad for teams that ostensibly don't have much in the way of resources.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Writing in GoT/Orcs was good because of Sylvain Séchi (Cyanide man). I don't think he worked on Mars War Logs or this game. But I could be wrong.

sser

Arcane
Developer
No comment...

35336B5E56E565BF5B8A0D7DD1CBEAF4011C3C38

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's possible to farm those flying bugs in the swamp area all the way to max level (and level up goes really fast). No idea whether this was intentional.

jdinatale

Cipher
Seeing as how it's around $20 brand new, I'll pick it up when it hits $5 in a couple of months.

DemonKing

Arcane
Gamespot gave it 4/10 - either the cheque bounced or never arrived in the first place...

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone gotten particularly far in this? I was wondering if anyone could spoil how the whole demon possession thing turns out; I remember reading in previews that you get a choice over how far to let it go and I'm curious to see how it actually affects the game, particularly the end-game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Gamespot gave it 4/10 - either the cheque bounced or never arrived in the first place...

Theirs and Polygon's review appears to be ragging on typical Spiders and other non-AAA developers' problems endemic to their lack of budget. It's things I can overlook if the actual RPG is good, I don't need a multimillion dollars production to enjoy a game.

Flying_Dutchman

Educated

Theirs and Polygon's review appears to be ragging on typical Spiders and other non-AAA developers' problems endemic to their lack of budget. It's things I can overlook if the actual RPG is good, I don't need a multimillion dollars production to enjoy a game.

I usually agree with Vanord's reviews, so I'll have to try the game myself. Sadly, there's no demo of any kind :-(

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm correct in thinking this is "wait for the sequel that fixes everything and has absolutely no relation to the plot of the original" type game at best?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
How can anyone like the rpg's these guys put out is beyond me, the only one which had any redeeming qualities at all was GoT but even then it was only parts of the story, because all else in it was mediocre at best.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'm correct in thinking this is "wait for the sequel that fixes everything and has absolutely no relation to the plot of the original" type game at best?

Considering the review scores, the sequel for this game is questionable, to say the least.

I'd argue this is the 'improved' (spiritual) sequel to Mars : War Logs. Now, whether its a good game on its own merits...?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, the scores for this are all over the place, from 2/10 to 9/10, but mostly 4-8.

Not that mainstream review scores are any indication of quality, but still interesting.

A quote from the 2/10 review - apparently the game offended someone's delicate sensibilities. :incline:

The narrative is not passable. It’s a mess, and it’s delivered via a script that is at once intentionally juvenile and unintentionally stupid. A script which has an unhealthy fixation on the words “whore”, “bitch”, and “slut”. A script in which a character describing having non-consensual sex with his catatonic wife is served up as comic relief. This actually happens. Bound By Flame is an embarrassment on all fronts.

Also, Totalbiscuit tweets that Bound by Flame is kicking his arse and he is not sure if he just sucks or the game is broken, I think he's leaning towards the latter, so they probably won't get a sales jump from his WTF is.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
In case someone cares, there's a "first 15 minutes" video on Youtube, and... no comment, and no deal.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Man that looks like complete shit, mechanics wise.

EDIT: LMFAO at 11:42ish. He fires that gun in the opposite direction of the zombie thing (twice!) and hits it both times. Holy fucknig shit. Just laughed out loud in the office.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
A quote from the 2/10 review - apparently the game offended someone's delicate sensibilities. :incline:

The narrative is not passable. It’s a mess, and it’s delivered via a script that is at once intentionally juvenile and unintentionally stupid. A script which has an unhealthy fixation on the words “whore”, “bitch”, and “slut”. A script in which a character describing having non-consensual sex with his catatonic wife is served up as comic relief. This actually happens. Bound By Flame is an embarrassment on all fronts.
Can't wait for RPS/Kotaku reviews.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom