Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bound by Flame - ARPG where the PC is possessed by a demon

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Giant Bomb quicklook is out. Ignoring how bad these guys are at games it doesn't look too bad, really. Not $40 day one purchase, but not terrible looking.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Difficulty in this game was a surprise for me. While combat system is too simple to be rated as incline, bosses often feel almost as Dark Souls PG 13, they have a few melee attacks, ranged spells and AoE, which can seriously fuck you up even on medium difficulty. That ice general wasn't easy. And final boss killed me 7 times on EASY, I'm not sure if he changes depending on your skills, but he had those two daggers - hard to dodge as hell, plus bloody spells and an obligatory additional stage.

Levels require a lot of backtracking and, while they don't look half bad, they do look like repeating caves from Dragon Age 2, with the exception of corpse filled sewers in the end. Side quests are dull. When main plot moves and provides C&C it's not as dull, but step outside and it's instantly dull.

White Lady and a lich are funny. Demon is occasionally funny when he starts bitch slapping various NPCs. A few lines are fairly unorthodox for what you'd expect from bioware pandering game - there is a point where you can slap a cute girl with daddy issues and tell her to man the fucking up because you're not a baby sitter but a mercenary and all that goodness.
A few strangely emotional moments, like with elvish king and his son. It's probably the music, but it felt like it belongs in a better game.

Everything else is fairly dull, but not as cringeworthy as DA2. Protagonist's no-bullshit attitude often saves dialogue from becoming just another generic fantasy crap.

So I guess 3/5. Worth pirating or buying as a part of a cheap rpg collection during sale for 2.99 dollars.

Free idea how to save a plot like in BbF - make white haired witch-bitch and a lich :dance:main protagonists who you play like in GoT and help them to go take revenge on ice lords. Instant non-dull story. :M

jdinatale

Cipher
Looks like a game that would be worth a $5 purchase....if it was also in a bundle with 8 other RPG's.

Flying_Dutchman

Educated
So the general consensus is that this game is - okay?

I mean, Gamespot and other "prominent" gaming web sites are completely full of shit. I'm sure they gave such a low score because the publisher refused to pay for the advertising. Wouldn't be the first time.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Been derping around this game for 5-6 hours with a ranger build (with points in burning weapon from pyro skill tree as well, a very useful skill early on, it doubles my damage output at the moment) and I found dodge (which is basically just a jump backwards, not a roll or sidestep or whatever) to be rather overpowered, you can avoid everything with it (even ranged attacks that go straight at you) and if you time it right (which granted, isn't that easy against enemies which have very fast attack animations) you'll get counter attacks galore (I basically killed that beast that way almost without taking a scratch).

Still, combat on the whole is decently challenging and despite some cheap stuff (HP bloated enemies in contrast to a very fragile main char, ranged attacks going through enemies to hit you etc.) I find it to be rather enjoyable (easily the best part of the game for me). It's a bit slower paced and methodical, you have to pick you targets and always be on guard to dodge or parry cause enemies will try to surround you, many of them have ranged attacks (which as I said go through their friends to hit you) and your guy is quite fragile. I'm not saying it has a lot of depth but it overall works (for me).

Stealth system is decent (nothing special but competently done for this type of game), it can really tip the scales in your favour and allows you to tackle monsters that would likely kill you in a direct approach (which reminded me a bit of Evil Islands though it's a different type of game).

The best thing is that he doesn't even set his weapon aflame.

I think he tried it a few times and had some success (died anyway though) but he didn't stick to it for some reason, I just don't think he's patient enough for this type of game (don't mean patient as in reload 100 times but rather plan your approach, pick your targets, put some thought in your char build and play to his/her strengths). In many cases it's not your natural ability as a gamer (reflexes, hand eye coordination, quick thinking or whatever) but rather your approach to gaming as a hobby that determines which games you enjoy.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
I kinda feel sad for developers of this one, they are getting bashed left and right by reviewers, and the game is quite decent. It's well optimized, looks decent,sometimes even great, story is hit & miss, although i really liked PC being demon possessed, combat while not DS good, its still fine. While it's not 10/10, its more likely 7/10, then 2/10 or 4/10 its getting in reviews.

Funny thing is how everyone is complaining about "bad" writing although i find it miles ahead of bioware...

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Blackfrost strangely enough was a pushover but that final boss was a major bitch. Luckily I had about 50 traps in my inventory.

Alonebadman

Educated
If I could still get this for $25 I would, but now it's $40 everywhere. Oh well.

Is 21Euro on some sites but I don't think is worth so much.

That's not much cheaper when converted to my magic dollars. Also site looks... iffy. Thanks though.

Bargain bin sale in six months, Dalek. I wouldn't recommend buying it. It's fun but otherwise a filler ARPG. Save your money for POE, Original Sin or something else.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bargain bin sale in six months, Dalek. I wouldn't recommend buying it. It's fun but otherwise a filler ARPG. Save your money for POE, Original Sin or something else.

I'm not buying it for full price at all, no worries. I more meant I would have been tempted if it were still $25, but it isn't.

poetic codex

Augur
I kinda feel sad for developers of this one, they are getting bashed left and right by reviewers, and the game is quite decent. It's well optimized, looks decent,sometimes even great, story is hit & miss, although i really liked PC being demon possessed, combat while not DS good, its still fine. While it's not 10/10, its more likely 7/10, then 2/10 or 4/10 its getting in reviews.

Funny thing is how everyone is complaining about "bad" writing although i find it miles ahead of bioware...

It seems to have a similar combat system as Mars War Logs; which is a game I personally liked even though it also got unfairly bashed. Mood and atmosphere seems spot on just like in Mars. The combat is Bioware style real time with pause, but plays out differently because it's single player and you don't have to worry about party micromanagement.

Xeon

Augur
Pretty good game, went with the Demon route and I am really enjoying it so far. I really like how much detail they put to how equipment's appearance changes with crafting and with the demonic fusion.

I am about to enter BlackFrost's Palace after killing the last concubine. I betrayed the Elves before facing the first concubine and ended it up killing the Prince and the archer elf later, I am wondering if I had saved the elves that were captured along with the Blades before meeting them, would they have joined me instead or will they still choose revenge.

Hardest fight so far was against 2 concubines with Stalker coming in to assist, was pretty fun but really hard, I eventually had Edwin defend to give me more breathing room and man she became immune to damage or something, almost everyone was aiming for her but were unable to damage her because of her shield so I had an easier time killing everyone

Just hit level 25, Maxed out Ranger/Rogue and maxed out the flame weapons affect I think. I upped the daggers interruption level so now I can kill everything with almost no resistance. I die pretty easily tho because of the low defense and ice resistance so need to be careful with groups and especially projectiles attacks. I think I manged to do every side quest so far, I really don't think I missed any.

Edit:
Just finished, Last battle was pretty hard, probably the hardest. Ending is kinda of a meh, overall the game is pretty good.

BlackFrost was pretty easy, Since Marthas, the Knight, Edwin joined me (Sybil didn't join, I don't know why) I used Flame Weapons and Speed Demon and dispatched the Archer and Mage of BlackFrost in one use and then ganged up on the melee BlackFrost.

Last Battle died so many times, I was only able to use Speed Demon during the Dragon Stage, not enough time to cast during the duel with the demon before getting interrupted.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Pretty good game, went with the Demon route and I am really enjoying it so far. I really like how much detail they put to how equipment's appearance changes with crafting and with the demonic fusion.

I am about to enter BlackFrost's Palace after killing the last concubine. I betrayed the Elves before facing the first concubine and ended it up killing the Prince and the archer elf later, I am wondering if I had saved the elves that were captured along with the Blades before meeting them, would they have joined me instead or will they still choose revenge.

Hardest fight so far was against 2 concubines with Stalker coming in to assist, was pretty fun but really hard, I eventually had Edwin defend to give me more breathing room and man she became immune to damage or something, almost everyone was aiming for her but were unable to damage her because of her shield so I had an easier time killing everyone

Just hit level 25, Maxed out Ranger/Rogue and maxed out the flame weapons affect I think. I upped the daggers interruption level so now I can kill everything with almost no resistance. I die pretty easily tho because of the low defense and ice resistance so need to be careful with groups and especially projectiles attacks. I think I manged to do every side quest so far, I really don't think I missed any.
If you join the Elves, you kill Edwen later on instead of Rhelmar and the prince. Being demon or not only gives an extra option at the very end.

I killed the Stalker first so she couldn't help the others. Guess I was lucky.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'm not buying it for full price at all, no worries. I more meant I would have been tempted if it were still $25, but it isn't.
This. Few games are worth $40 day one price, and a cheesy B-movie style action RPG does not count among them.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The lesson is learned: If you do not wish to pay up for awesum reviews, faggot critics will punish you for your greed
Nah, it's not like that. These reviewers genuinely believe Bioware games have good stories and games like Bound by Flame don't. They're not malicious, just your typical morons.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Blergh, I played the game for one hour, got bored and left. Not my thing. Art design is dismal, story is herpaderp, dialogues could've been written by a disabled monkey and the combat system is fidgety at best.

Lhynn

Arcane
Blergh, I played the game for one hour, got bored and left. Not my thing. Art design is dismal, story is herpaderp, dialogues could've been written by a disabled monkey and the combat system is fidgety at best.
So better than DA2 in every possible way?

SophosTheWise

Cipher
So better than DA2 in every possible way?

I don't even know why everyone is comparing shit to other shit that's not related to said shit except for being shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom