Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Box and printed manual?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've read over at NMA that for 50 $$$ you will ship the game with manual and box? Awesome.

How thick will that manual be? You already mentioned over at NMA that it wil contain artwork, will it contain also lore, description of the different factions, places etc. (Arcanum style)

Quigs

Magister
Hey, if your serious about it, ill get the "boxed" edition.

Ya know, gotta support the team.

profile.jpg

Blue

Novice
Are you equipped to handle 1000's of orders? I'm just curious how you will handle the load for printing off all the colored manual etc if the demand is higher then you expect.

I'm seriously thinking that it would be a unique game to get the box set for, I'm just worried that logistically you may not be able to handle the distribution.

Blue

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Blue said:
Are you equipped to handle 1000's of orders? I'm just curious how you will handle the load for printing off all the colored manual etc if the demand is higher then you expect.

I'm seriously thinking that it would be a unique game to get the box set for, I'm just worried that logistically you may not be able to handle the distribution.

Blue
IF we get 1000+ orders, which is a big "if", we'll find a way to handle all orders. We can always hire someone to help us in this area. It's a good problem to have. If you are talking about the printing aspect, we'll be using professional printing services (I have a lot of contacts in the industry), so doing higher volume isn't a problem at all. We can as easily place an order for 5000 copies as for 100.

I'll be very surprised though if we sell more than 200 boxed copies. 50-70 copies is my estimate.

Fez

Erudite
I think VD would be over the moon if he really did get so many orders he could barely handle them. He's been very careful to keep his estimations in check so far.

Are you hoping for this to be a slow burner or is it a learning experience for you?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Fez said:
Are you hoping for this to be a slow burner or is it a learning experience for you?
Learning experience plus establishing Iron Tower as a proven developer, which is why I'm taking my time to do it right. I don't expect a lot of sales from AoD - just enough to keep my team, but a second game can, theoretically, do quite well.

Of course there is always a chance that AoD will do too poorly to continue, but that's a different story.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Fez said:
Learning experience plus establishing Iron Tower as a proven developer, which is why I'm taking my time to do it right. I don't expect a lot of sales from AoD - just enough to keep my team, but a second game can, theoretically, do quite well.

Of course there is always a chance that AoD will do too poorly to continue, but that's a different story.

Whereabout is your sweet spot that would make you continue , how many copies to break-even? Do you know how many copies other indies sell, have sold? E.g. teudogar, prelude, spiderweb, etc.? 50 boxed copies seems very pessimistic, this isn't a schoolyard sale. You could probably make a lollypop licking simulator and sell more copies than that.

Lumpy

Arcane
GhanBuriGhan said:
Vault Dweller said:
Fez said:

Whereabout is your sweet spot that would make you continue , how many copies to break-even? Do you know how many copies other indies sell, have sold? E.g. teudogar, prelude, spiderweb, etc.? 50 boxed copies seems very pessimistic, this isn't a schoolyard sale. You could probably make a lollypop licking simulator and sell more copies than that.
I would imagine the majority of players will buy the digital version.

Koby

Scholar
I'm planning to get the direct download versions, but, incase I decide I want the full box after I purchased the DL version, can I get the box for the price difference or do I need to buy an additional full copy (for the full price)?

JrK

Prophet
I'm wondering VD, how do you expect to handle payment? I'm from Europe without a way to wire funds over the intarwebs or via creditcard.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
JrK said:
I'm wondering VD, how do you expect to handle payment? I'm from Europe without a way to wire funds over the intarwebs or via creditcard.

What about paypal? VD, will you accept paypal? That should solve the problem for most europeans.

Vault Dweller

Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
Whereabout is your sweet spot that would make you continue , how many copies to break-even?
No idea yet. Everything costs money. Digital distribution portals want 30-40%. Doing it yourself is costly and time consuming. Visa usually charges 8%, bandwidth costs could potentially be as high as 10%. Then there are taxes.

In the end it would depend on what my team would find acceptable. Each person would have to look back at the 3 years spent working on the game, then look at the amount on the cheque, and decide whether or not it was worth it and whether there is a reason to continue.

Do you know how many copies other indies sell, have sold? E.g. teudogar, prelude, spiderweb, etc.?
Spiderweb games sell 3-5,000 copies. Mount & Blade sold more than 10,000, but it's an action game. Prelude sold very poorly.

50 boxed copies seems very pessimistic, this isn't a schoolyard sale.
I assume that only some uber hardcore RPG players will be interested in paying 50 bucks for a game they can get for 25.

You could probably make a lollypop licking simulator and sell more copies than that.
Very true.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Koby said:
I'm planning to get the direct download versions, but, incase I decide I want the full box after I purchased the DL version, can I get the box for the price difference or do I need to buy an additional full copy (for the full price)?
That would make sense, so yeah, sure.

JrK said:
No idea. We'll look into it when we get to this point. We've had some interesting offers from European publishers, but I'd rather handle everything myself if I can.

Tales said:
What about paypal? VD, will you accept paypal? That should solve the problem for most europeans.
Definitely.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'd buy that for a dollar! Braaaaaaaagghhhg!

Seriously tho, I will definitely get the 50 buck version. Lubs ya VD. The initials in your name are the same thing that I constantly give womens!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Assuming I like the demo, I'd spring $50 for a physical copy. I rather dislike digital distribution and prefer something physical I can hold in my hands. I'm assuming the disc will be pretty and not look like this:

cdr.jpg

lex@r

Novice
well im up for a copy hopefully it can be sent to Australia

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom