Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Box and printed manual?

Bradylama

Arcane
If the manual is anywhere near as awesome as Arcanum's it'll be well worth the extra $25.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I have just received exclusive rights to publish a photo of the AoD master disc:

th_40373_AoD_CD_122_908lo.jpg

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Whereabout is your sweet spot that would make you continue , how many copies to break-even?
No idea yet. Everything costs money. Digital distribution portals want 30-40%. Doing it yourself is costly and time consuming. Visa usually charges 8%, bandwidth costs could potentially be as high as 10%. Then there are taxes.

In the end it would depend on what my team would find acceptable. Each person would have to look back at the 3 years spent working on the game, then look at the amount on the cheque, and decide whether or not it was worth it and whether there is a reason to continue.

Do you know how many copies other indies sell, have sold? E.g. teudogar, prelude, spiderweb, etc.?
Spiderweb games sell 3-5,000 copies. Mount & Blade sold more than 10,000, but it's an action game. Prelude sold very poorly.

50 boxed copies seems very pessimistic, this isn't a schoolyard sale.
I assume that only some uber hardcore RPG players will be interested in paying 50 bucks for a game they can get for 25.

You could probably make a lollypop licking simulator and sell more copies than that.
Very true.

Well, I would if the game is any good, love my boxes. And if it's really limited to 50 boxes, hell, this is gonna be a collectible worth thousands in a couple of years, so I might buy two ;)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't buy a game without a box and manual, sorry. Just can't. Ya know, I am rather old-fashioned. If I just pay for a few bytes to download... well, what do I "own" then? A few bytes! That could be easily lost, too. I don't buy into digital distribution.

Do make sure to have that fancy editor of yours edit your writing! I don't want to feel as if I were reading one of my stories while playing AoD - this is not the time for dragons.

Müg

Scholar
The beach was almost empty. Few people were there at this time of the day, the sun about to set, announcing the coming night, even though as for now, it was still bathing the few visitors of the place with its orange-hued radiance. Among those people was Erik Elymandias, a dragon of stout seven feet, sporting a lithe, agile build. His raven scales flattered by the sunlight, he would silently walk along the sandy shores, leaving footprints in the sand, a solemn figure with a long shadow; a shadow not caused by some dark, glum predestination, but, much rather, simply by the angle of that setting orb of crimson.

Erik was a young dragon by most standards, having turned sixteen years many weeks ago. He usually didn't walk, but rather, strode about, each step a carefully calculated depiction of motoric grace. Today, however, he seemed broken, shattered. An onlooker wouldn't have recognized Erik - his shoulders were slumped, his body bent.

Going for a walk was a bad idea. Though warm, the sea's breeze kept annoying the trenchcoat-clad dragon, creeping under his garbs as if the very air had come alive with a desire to make the lizard growl, to make him feel both pestered and frustrated. Why had he come? Why had he come here in the first place? He posed this question to himself, again and again, just standing at the sandy shore and gazing at the sapphire-hued depths that extended endlessly in front of him, the vast bodies of water akin to a fence that prevented him from ever reaching the state of calm he longed for. He went on this trip to clear his mind and to relax, to rid himself of the thoughts that kept plaguing him.

He failed.
Who wouldn't want to read this stuff all game long?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, I should totally write for AoD, to, you know, increase the target audience. :)

[The horror!]

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
Well, I would if the game is any good, love my boxes. And if it's really limited to 50 boxes, hell, this is gonna be a collectible worth thousands in a couple of years, so I might buy two ;)
No, it's not limited to 50 boxes. I'll print as many as necessary.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Koby said:
I'm planning to get the direct download versions, but, incase I decide I want the full box after I purchased the DL version, can I get the box for the price difference or do I need to buy an additional full copy (for the full price)?
That would make sense, so yeah, sure.

Er, which option makes sense to you exactly?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hazelnut said:
Vault Dweller said:
Koby said:
I'm planning to get the direct download versions, but, incase I decide I want the full box after I purchased the DL version, can I get the box for the price difference or do I need to buy an additional full copy (for the full price)?
That would make sense, so yeah, sure.

Er, which option makes sense to you exactly?
The other one.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, there is one and then there is the *other* one. I clearly meant the other one. Do I really need to explain that?

Lumpy

Arcane
"so yeah, sure" is a friendly expression, thus implying agreement to the possibility most beneficial to the quotee. Thus, I deduce that it will indeed be possible to get the boxed version by paying only the difference of money.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
"so yeah, sure" is a friendly expression, thus implying agreement to the possibility most beneficial to the quotee. Thus, I deduce that it will indeed be possible to get the boxed version by paying only the difference of money.
Indeed. If someone buys a digital copy, likes it and wants to upgrade to a boxed copy, why not? To me, that's the highest mark of approval.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Another possibility to consider would be offering physical shipment, but at the same time unlocking the game for the player / enabling him the full download. Spiderweb and Matrix do this: you can almost immediately play the full game, and the CDs reach you in a few days.

(This would in effect be equivalent to buying the digital version and instantly upgrading to the boxed one)

Quigs

Magister
You should sell a collectors edition to Beth fanboys, charge 20 bucks more, and include a "Making of", I.E. A link to the codex.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hmm, a good, high-quality map is always a nice extra feature. Morrowind map was pretty cool and very nicely done.

I can get a nice, glossy, full color 11x17 map printed on a 60lb paper for about 6-10 cents a piece, including folding. Why not?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom