Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Box and printed manual?

Vykromond

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Hmm, a good, high-quality map is always a nice extra feature. Morrowind map was pretty cool and very nicely done.

I can get a nice, glossy, full color 11x17 map printed on a 60lb paper for about 6-10 cents a piece, including folding. Why not?

Yes, please!

Fez

Erudite
Maps are one of the goodies I always liked to get in boxed games. Useful and pretty to look at.

Vykromond

Scholar
I put em up on my wall while I'm playing the game and put tacks/post-it notes where the important stuff is. It's convenient and actually looks sort of cool.

Bradylama

Arcane
All this talk of boxed copies is getting me all excited for something that likely won't even be released within the year.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
A map? Awesome.

Jedi_Learner said:
$25 direct download, $50 for a box (proper full color box, full color manual with concept art , jewel case CD) plus shipping.

I want a map as well (Like Arcanum) or no deal Mr Vault Dweller!

Out of honest curiosity, may I ask what version of Arcanum you have? (country).
Because I have a german version, and while the manual was neat-o, I don't remember any pretty map ('cept you mean that little piece of paper with a scatch of the arcanum world on one site and some advertisement on the other).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I second Fez, we -need- feelies. This game is a return to old values, right? Gameplay & reading being more important than graphics (while keeping them at a somewhat pretty level, or better [if you had the funding for that]). Old games had feelies in the box.

I'd totally pay for a mini-gladius and a code-wheel. YES! A code-wheel! You HAVE to include that as copy protection!

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
AoD´s Copy Protection:

lock.gif

Monolith

Prophet
Jasede said:
I second Fez, we -need- feelies. This game is a return to old values, right? Gameplay & reading being more important than graphics (while keeping them at a somewhat pretty level, or better [if you had the funding for that]). Old games had feelies in the box.

I'd totally pay for a mini-gladius and a code-wheel. YES! A code-wheel! You HAVE to include that as copy protection!
Now THAT would be old Skewl. And a damn cool gimmick.

Top Hat

Scholar
Vault Dweller: It might help if you turned this thread into a poll, or started another thread with a poll asking whether or not people were going to buy your game and if so, which version (online distribution or magical box of magicalness) they were going to order.

Then at least you can get a sense of how many you might expect.

Amasius

Augur
YES! This reminds me that back in the day almost every game was better equipped than nowadays collectors editions. Normally I don't care for gimmicks anymore, but for AoD I'd love to make an exception. :D

Jedi_Learner said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Out of honest curiosity, may I ask what version of Arcanum you have? (country).

I got my copy of Arcanum from Ebay two months ago (I wanted the original manual and box) but I assume it was bought in England because the seller was from England.

The loose map basically had a front cover (The one from the box, with the headshot of the female Elf), the map in the middle and on the back a list of quick keys for in-game.

Oh, yeah, its the same in the german version. Not exaclty something fancy that map, especially when compared to the morrowind one you posted. That why I was wondering.

callehe

Liturgist
the fold marks on the morrowind map are atrociously ugly. the AoD map will come in a scroll not folded, I thus command.

Jora

Arcane
I love the city map that came with the original Baldur's Gate box. It's hand-drawn and colored, stylish, and detailed enough to be used as a reference.

Oh yes it was rather nice. The other side of the map showing the sword coast looked amateurish and like drawn by a 6 year old, but that city map was ok.

JrK

Prophet
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
JrK said:
I'm wondering VD, how do you expect to handle payment? I'm from Europe without a way to wire funds over the intarwebs or via creditcard.

What about paypal? VD, will you accept paypal? That should solve the problem for most europeans.

Except that I will not be using paypal because they swindled my brother out of money. Apparently, you can't get it back. Joy.

Monolith

Prophet
JrK said:
Except that I will not be using paypal because they swindled my brother out of money. Apparently, you can't get it back. Joy.
WTF? Come on, I want the whole story.

EliotW

Educated
Vault Dweller said:
Hmm, a good, high-quality map is always a nice extra feature. Morrowind map was pretty cool and very nicely done.

They did a good job on that one. You could actually run off into the wilderness and find your way with it.

Jedi_Learner said:
And for those who haven't seen the Morrowind map...

Is that from the Gold Edition? The release map covered only Vvardenfell.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
EliotW said:
They did a good job on that one. You could actually run off into the wilderness and find your way with it.
I recently did the same with the hugass map from Gothic 3 (yes, I got lost in the woods once :D). Always a nice touch, although the Vvanderfell map was more detailed iirc.

M0RBUS

Augur
Ok, anyway, I'm another one that's going to buy the retail version (or whatever it's called). Doing my best to support gaming, I think.

Go for it ITS!

sheek

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Whereabout is your sweet spot that would make you continue , how many copies to break-even?
No idea yet. Everything costs money. Digital distribution portals want 30-40%. Doing it yourself is costly and time consuming. Visa usually charges 8%, bandwidth costs could potentially be as high as 10%. Then there are taxes.

In the end it would depend on what my team would find acceptable. Each person would have to look back at the 3 years spent working on the game, then look at the amount on the cheque, and decide whether or not it was worth it and whether there is a reason to continue.

Do you know how many copies other indies sell, have sold? E.g. teudogar, prelude, spiderweb, etc.?
Spiderweb games sell 3-5,000 copies. Mount & Blade sold more than 10,000, but it's an action game. Prelude sold very poorly.

Mount&Blade has sold way more than 10,000 copies. It sold 8,000 copies two or three years ago and the community has exploded since then. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 25,000+... it would have to be considering they have five paid staff members.

Two questions:

How much do you (roughly) expect to get for the digitial vs boxed version? I mean, I would get the digital one because it's more convenient and I usually do that, but if the team gets only $10 from it (40% of retail price), I'd want to pay more.

@'Feelies':

Why the fuck would you want a map of Arcanum? For Morrowind there may be a use, but you have a very good auto-map. But in Arcanum wouldn't it harm the game? You know where all the locations are when your in-game map is blank and you're supposed to learn where locations as you play through it.

It's also an ugly map. What are you going to do with it? Hang it over your bed?

Goddamn nerds...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom