Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Boxart. Name your favourite.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
A good topic.

421px-Ultima_IV_box.jpg

But especially...
Ultima_VII_Black_Gate_box.jpg

Mr Happy

Scholar
Jim Kata said:
We are soulmates.

Ah excuse me, I already said Wasteland had my favorite boxart in the wasteland thread, so you can lick my balls.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I kinda like Baldur's Gate 2 box art (not the expansion pack tho, and not the original):
200px-BGII_cover.png

and although it is not a good/true RPG, Oblivion really has one of the best box arts I've ever seen. At least something those fuckwits from Bethesda can do well.

icewind dale box art is also damn nice.

So really, good CRPGs usually come with pretty shitty box arts...

Hazelnut

Erudite
Quite liked this when I was very small:

dragontorc.jpg

And this one:

LordsOfMidnight.jpg

More recently, nothing springs to mind.. I no longer browse for games in shops so the covers are less relevant.

Ladonna

Arcane
I like how the guy is talking about 'Spectrum 48k' :lol:

Sovy Kurosei: Nothing like a blank white page eh? Sorry, I know minimalism is back in, but I say no to drugs.

Cthulhu: Torment cover IS ugly. Doesn't mean that I didn't find the back of the box blurb intriguing enough to buy it when it came out.

Mr Happy and Jim Kata: Good to see people of taste in box art. Wastelands art was spot on, and it conveyed the game far better than any graphics could. I would guess that its a picture of a street encounter in Vegas with one of those damn Cyborgs. NOT the scorpotron though :wink:

Jasede: Thats another favourite, and it slightly outdoes Ultima 5's boxart that I also like. These two would be very high on my list.

Hopefully some more juicy boxarts will come out here.

Edit: Zork 3, nice. I bet your a fan of the old Sci-Fi/Fantasy magazine art VD? That reminds me of my Dads collection of Short story books from the 60's and 70's, similar art. Love the little promo on the front.

See how it has 'Challenge' as one of the games strongpoints? Wonder if that will ever be spruiked in a future game.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dani_Bunten

The maker of mule was a transsexual?

That's surprising.

More on topic (I was trying to remember what the mule cover looked like) I liked all the ultima cover art a lot. I'm surprised no one has mentioned fallout II.

I'm more surprised someone likes Oblivion's stupid cover art.

Ladonna

Arcane
Nice. Any reasons why you really liked the box art on those games?

Albion certainly has that 60's 70's Sci-Fi art look to it as well.

Claudius, I didn't mind the overall boxart of Fallout 1, along with the shape, but I thought Fallout 2's box was too fake or something, its hard to put my finger on it. Shiny? I don't know. Just didn't really think much about it (didn't mind the game though).

Dani Bunten's personal webpage:http://www.anticlockwise.com/dani/personal/index.html
Mule Boxart:http://www.anticlockwise.com/dani/images/big-box5.jpg

Someone must be paying to keep that page there.

Another Gem I forgot to mention that I have always liked
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dragon-wa ... erId,2997/

Nice. Though I always thought 'Theres two idiots that are dead 5 seconds after this was drawn'.

Drakron

Arcane
She is wearing chainmail bikini ... that can withstand a point blank blast of the Death Star.

Annonchinil

Scholar
I don't usually download games, so can anyone tell me what this crack exe. documentation refers to?

INSTALLATION NOTES:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Extract, burn/mount the bin/cue, install using the following serial:
NA53-DE82-BYJ5-HCUJ6-8388
then copy the crack over and enjoy!

especially the burn/moun the bin/cue part.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I'm more surprised someone likes Oblivion's stupid cover art.
I do, and I cant see the reason why I shouldn't. There are lots of box arts that are overburdened with detailed imagery.. sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't. An example of that would be that "Beyond" game that Hazelnut posted. Or Akalabeth...

I really like those nice, clean designs. As an artist, I prefer to make my covers teasing, not exposing everything. Just like good erotica it has to be subtle.
Bethesda and some other major companies make great box arts.... but fail at their games.

Atrokkus

Erudite
By the way, when i was looking for the picture of Oblivion box art by using images.google.com, I encountered a bug. The first page of results is blank... See for yourself

Conspiracy.

EDIT: yeah, the MOrrowind box art is beautiful as well.. and the daggerfall one. But the Arena cover is mediocre, a prime example of overburdening.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Planescape: Torment

Very après-garde

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom