Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Boxart. Name your favourite.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
monkey_island_2_-_lechucks_revenge_01.jpg

This and Betrayal at Krondor.

Ooooh yeah, MI2 is absolutely, absolutely mega awesome.

Too bad they fucked up Le Chuck for the Special Edition cover, I hate this stupid WoWized cartoonish art so much :x

136290110351.jpg

That's just sad. Why replace good artwork with cheap, stupid Facebook game artwork?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
monkey_island_2_-_lechucks_revenge_01.jpg

This and Betrayal at Krondor.

Ooooh yeah, MI2 is absolutely, absolutely mega awesome.

Too bad they fucked up Le Chuck for the Special Edition cover, I hate this stupid WoWized cartoonish art so much :x

That's just sad. Why replace good artwork with cheap, stupid Facebook game artwork?

Because they did so with the actual game which looked way worse than its VGA counterpart. I only played it for the developper's commentary and even this was a complete disappointment.

REMAKES, ugh ! Filthy creatures.

Mraston

Learned
Although the original was pretty good, Everquest Ruins of Kurnark is my favorite box I've ever owned;
1031097464-00.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anyone notice that old box art for the most part is much more straightforward? Fantasy game = barbarians and wizards fighting goblins. Sci-fi game = badass Blade Runner dude with a laser gun. Puzzle game = show the goddamn puzzle. All you need to know, right there. All I can tell with modern game boxes is that the game will apparently feature a man walking slowly towards something.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Anyone notice that old box art for the most part is much more straightforward? Fantasy game = barbarians and wizards fighting goblins. Sci-fi game = badass Blade Runner dude with a laser gun. Puzzle game = show the goddamn puzzle. All you need to know, right there. All I can tell with modern game boxes is that the game will apparently feature a man walking slowly towards something.

Mm, some of them. But there are also a lot of cases of the cover being kind of an abstracted representation of what the game is about, like with Nosferatu it's a painting that evokes a sense a horror and dread, with Ico it is a one that loneliness and mystery, without actually showing any characters or scenes from in the game itself - the kind of thing that actually takes some skill and imagination on the part of the artist, instead of just cut and pasting images out of the game or recycling 3D models.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've still got my HoMM II, Civ II and Thunderscape boxes. Good times, those were.

1002745662-00.jpg

I think Thunderscape was one of the first RPGs (or maybe even the first RPG) I played. Couldn't get anywhere in it at first -- the dungeon was so scary! :lol: I used to just load it up, die at the fangs of some kind of bats or something, and go back to my Civilization where everyting was far less scary :lol:

Funny how I mostly played strategy games back then, but now I only play (and love) CRPGs.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
"Meanest 3-D graphic adventure series ever"? The fuck? Did these games somehow maliciously deride your sense of values, kick your cat and give you wedgies, tittie twisters and wet willies?

Well, that particular title did make you feel bad for buying it and playing it...

Oh, and all 3 EOB covers are ripped out from AD&D artwork, so I'm very reluctant to put them in any sort of 'best boxart' list.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Since this thread turned into "the same person posts 50 box arts", I see that a lot of the greats have been covered already. That said, this is my favorite box art, largely because it's the first adventure game I ever played and I think of it whenever I think of the genre.

sq4front.jpg

And speaking of amazing Psygnosis box art, here's one of the best I've seen. Never played the game, though. Even the name "Psygnosis" is awesome.

478px-Anarchy.jpg

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Those were the only advertising they get at that time.So they had to use it wisely and spend more time thinking about how to impress the customers at that time.
Now it's all over the internet and no one bothers with cover arts anymore.

Found a new favorite one.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kusoge/kusoge16.htm#franko

In the early 90s, the success of games like Final Fight, Golden Axe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the arcade led to the widespread popularity of belt-scrolling beat-em-ups. But while these games were prolific on consoles, the genre was underserved on the Amiga, where it mostly just got a handful of substandard ports. And so, a young Polish development team attempted to solve this problem with the hilariously titled Franko: The Crazy Revenge, a violent romp through the streets of post-Communist bloc Poland. It is possibly the worst beat-em-up ever made.

:lol:

edit: This one is legitimately glorious. Haggar look so chill here.

And I don't really like this one but that was an unfortunate choice of font. Fuckies Island? Sonic even looks like he's fucking someone doggy-style. :eek:

tumblr_mh8uy2y1Ys1rslq0go1_1359222735_cover.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Franko: The Crazy Revenge, a violent romp through the streets of post-Communist bloc Poland. It is possibly the worst beat-em-up ever made.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? : x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom