Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Breaking News! Gaider is no longer working at Bioware.

hell bovine

Arcane
Would be cool if WOTC forbid them from using sword coast. It's the only way to not have yet another game set on that stretch of land.
WotC are responsible for removing the best endings from NWN HotU, leaving only the standard "get rid of the evil boss" one. They wouldn't block the game, just force it to conform to their ideas of canon.

Perkel

Arcane
heh i was right:

After fishishing The Witcher 3 he said to himself:
" What is this ? How could i stray from path of good ? I am corrupted ! UnWORTHY ! "
He took his pen broke it on his knee hissing loudly, put on his fedora and looked at the door saying this:
" I will make it right !, GODS, I SWEAR IT ! "
Then he looked at his mailbox and started to type: obsidi...@.. , lar... cdp...

No one heard his voice, no one saw him laughing in silence, staring at his monitor,
only his broken pen lying it its own dark blood.

Good to see him join incline and i hope in beamdog he will work as well on combat.

hell bovine

Arcane
Good to see him join incline and i hope in beamdog he will work as well on combat.
If he were to do something like the improved battles, then I would actually buy the EE. I doubt it, though.

It would be great if the developers finally took a hint, not every BG2 player is after inane NPCs and their romantic woes, there was a reason mods like Ascension, Tactics and SCS were so popular back then.

pippin

I think I can remember Josh saying PoE had many thing he wanted to do with Black Hound, so we could understand it as the same kind of thing as New Vegas and Van Buren.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'll just leave this here...

55UjsNW.jpg

EA shares went up because Gaider resigned? :smug:

Perkel

Arcane
He joined as creative director.
Hopefully this means more design less character writing from him.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
He joined as creative director.
Hopefully this means more design less character writing from him.

you really think that current Beamdog writers are better than Gaider at writing?

He was the lead writer in DA: Origins which has decent writing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Swooping is bad.

Gaider said that his role as lead meant that of all the main writers, he contributed the least amount of actual writing. He spent most of his time managing the team or in meetings. Moving to a much smaller studio must be a relief for him in that regard.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
For me it was the whole "subversion" of fantasy tropes to bring it to the standard of these recent grimdark tv shows.

For me it was the whole "subversion" of fantasy tropes to bring it to the standard of these recent grimdark tv shows.
Game of Thrones (TV show) — S1, Ep1 17 Apr. 2011 "Winter Is Coming"
Dragon Age: Origins — 3 November 2009
Wiedzmin I — 24 October 2007

I'd say they wanted to make their own Witcher, maybe not initially, but after CD Project success. And by them I mean not only Gaider, but maybe some of the producers. They also were ripping off Martin's books somewhat, but they couldn't have predicted the success of the TV show which came out two years after DAO release.

DAO's plot was way more traditional than both GRRM ASoiF and Sapkowski's Wiedzmin anyway. You got your standard Bioware Evil™ endangering the land, the whole Bioware cliche table with only superficial grimdark and political elements (mostly only in dorf noble origin story) added.

funkadelik

Arcane
It tooks years of decline and general faggotry for me to realize those slack-jawed options of romance were in muh games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They also were ripping off Martin's books somewhat, but they couldn't have predicted the success of the TV show which came out two years after DAO release.

A Song of Ice and Fire was already huge among nerds before the show.

The New Yorker said in April 2011 (before the publication of A Dance with Dragons) that more than 15 million Ice and Fire books had been sold worldwide,[43] a figure repeated by The Globe and Mail in July 2011.

They put that in a blender alongside Peter Jackson's interpretation of the Lord of the Rings, the Witcher, and Joss Whedon-inspired dialogue, probably a few other things.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
DAO's plot was way more traditional than both GRRM ASoiF and Sapkowski's Wiedzmin anyway. You got your standard Bioware Evil™ endangering the land, the whole Bioware cliche table with only superficial grimdark and political elements (mostly only in dorf noble origin story) added.

I was talking more about the setting full of "oppressed" people following the ((media)) narrative, also whining about the "patriarchy" or whatever these people do. Even in 2009, when I was not full niggerdeath yet, that shit irked the hell out of me.

I'm going by only the advertisements of the time, since I never touched this turd. And never will.

Oh, it's important to note that I played Ass Defect in 2008 and I was done with Bioware "writing" by that point. Never again.

I'd like to note that when I joined RPGCodex in 2012 this bald faggot was already rightfully being bullied beyond the call of duty, which was one of the reasons I joined these prestigious forums... Nowadays I'm called to explain what is bad about Bioware... I'm thinking I'm out of place here with all this faggotry that is taking place. I want an edgier RPG forum.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
"Oppressed" city elves origin was actually well done (as much as I hate elves), especially if you wanted to play a cold killer. Alistair's reactions to the "murder knife" were hilarious.

Game of Thrones (TV show) — S1, Ep1 17 Apr. 2011 "Winter Is Coming"
Dragon Age: Origins — 3 November 2009
Wiedzmin I — 24 October 2007

I'd say they wanted to make their own Witcher, maybe not initially, but after CD Project success. And by them I mean not only Gaider, but maybe some of the producers. They also were ripping off Martin's books somewhat, but they couldn't have predicted the success of the TV show which came out two years after DAO release.

It's not like Sapkowski or GRRM were very original in their worldbuilding either. The witcher saga is heavily "inspired" by the Arthurian legend, for example.

I liked DaO for what it was; it had its moments.
like whoring out the virgin to the evil witch to make the evil god baby :lol:

They also were ripping off Martin's books somewhat, but they couldn't have predicted the success of the TV show which came out two years after DAO release.

A Song of Ice and Fire was already huge among nerds before the show.

The New Yorker said in April 2011 (before the publication of A Dance with Dragons) that more than 15 million Ice and Fire books had been sold worldwide,[43] a figure repeated by The Globe and Mail in July 2011.
Yeah, of course, but still a) at wasn't as popular as the TV show among the wide audience and b) EA, judging by marketing (This is the New Shit campaign) wanted the series to get more mainstream audience. If it would have came out in 2012, then I'd bet they would ripped off GoT way more heavily.

They put that in a blender alongside Peter Jackson's interpretation of the Lord of the Rings, the Witcher, and Joss Whedon-inspired dialogue, probably a few other things.
Yep. Basically orc-zombie invasion, plus ghetto elves and racism issues from Wiedzmin, plus mages oppression (probably from Warhammer 40k psykers as the most mainstream source), plus Gaider stated that he based Alistair on Xander plus Riley from Buffy, IIRC, and Zevran was based on Spike.

Based on as in they were nothing alike at all?
If you're talking about Buffy hommage/ripoff, eh, that's on Gaider. I don't think that they even seem alike either, maybe only in most superficial details (one is a elite soldier, but also somewhat of a clown and butt-monkey, and the other was somewhat evil and immoral). Gaider sucks at plagiarizing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom