Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Breaking the "emulation barrier" in digital distribution - why can't GOG sell Amiga games?

Delbaeth

Learned
Something going public domain doesn't mean that it should be free (as free beer).
When you look after printed books from XVIII century's writters for instance, you have to buy them, not getting them for free.
Same as old medication.
Public domain = anyone can make anything of it, including making profit.
So even though games would be in public domain, you can't expect people not trying to sell them.

rohand

Cipher
Nah, I can only see Nintendo supporting emulated re-releases of their classics in their own hardware. They've always been so exclusive with their shit.

Now back to imagining GOG releases of Amiga dungeoneering package games.
Tell me what you see now https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/resident-evil-2-dual-shock-psone/

Lack of proper commas rendered my sentence unintelligible.

Actually I meant something more like "Nintendo won't support emulated re-releases of its own games unless it's on their own hardware (as in Wii VC)"

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
When you look after printed books from XVIII century's writters for instance, you have to buy them, not getting them for free.
You can get the PDF's for free though.
For printed copies you're obviously paying for a manufacturing costs(mostly).

Delbaeth

Learned
Agreed.
But if a website does want to sell those PDFs instead of asking for donations to pay the bill, it won't be a surprise.
The community would surely go for free ressources instead, unless exceptional measures (I only speculate here).

Let's say that the copyright defenders want to restrict internet to prevent "piracy" for copyrighted things (software, music, video, and so on), closing free ressources websites (even the rightful ones), or making their lives harder preventing customers to have decent trafic on those websites (like what is planning these years), and supporting websites which sell digital things, or using the wrong axiom that many people follow: "I want to own and buy everything in the same place for 'safety' ", well, let's be sure that most people would pay instead of trying to get digital ressources for free. Even though they have the right to get them free. Most people really don't care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom